In this thread we post tips to decrease apathy

15 Replies, 6235 Views

This has been on my mind recently, because I have direct experience with lots of it: apathy towards doing anything at all.

I'm not talking "I'm pissed off, so I'm just gonna go smoke a blunt" type apathy. I'm talking everything that centres around general depression.

I don't wish to get involved in much chat about my own problems anymore as I believe it does more harm than good, but I will say this has been happening daily ever since I was deemed unable to work and got signed off. In figures, since May 2008.

I've had good times and bad times all the same, like anyone who lives life. But I'd like to know: how do you help remedy apathy towards doing stuff?

I'll start ...I have become taut to the tendency of taking a nap in the middle of the day. I find this helps give me purpose and focus when planning things to do.

You? Wave
2 years ago I had to fight apathy myself. I could only muster so much energy to get to work and "function" accordingly. At one point though I realized this wasn't helping me at all so I asked myself what to do next. This sounds like kitchen-psychology probably but you can do stuff. Change things. I started to become a do it yourselfer. I repaired stuff around the house and so on. There is always stuff to do. Generally, I'd say setting small goals each day helped me a lot to get out of this vicious circle.
Music critic for the Tally Ho
I dunno. When I get into a rut I find I can't really do anything much at all. I only feel better when I've been productive, but it's getting the motivation to be productive in the first place that's the problem.

Fauxpas
Statto Wrote:I dunno. When I get into a rut I find I can't really do anything much at all. I only feel better when I've been productive, but it's getting the motivation to be productive in the first place that's the problem.

Fauxpas

Exactly. But I appreciate firefinga's encouragement.

I guess I've just become accustomed to not succeeding with things as much as I want to. As much as I thought I used to. And because I love sleep (even if the dreams are disturbing) I've become reliant on naps to get me out the rut.

There is so much deep down I want to do each day. It's just finding the zest for life to do some of it.
Tip 2... I should make myself a nice cup of coffee to start the day. But I already do that every day. But at least if I have it in my mind while I am enfolded in the covers of sleep I might do something more proactive about it.
Tip 3...a simple one - because coffee is a diuretic even when decaffeinated, drink some water to wake up quicker and hydrate the muscles.
I suggest doing sports, gymnastics, weight lifting, or even better: running outdoors. Getting or being fit leads to proper metabolism, which will decrease apathy. My tips are a bit hands-on like lol
firefinga Wrote:hands-on like lol

Oo-er Lol

Now reading extracts from John Heider's "The Tao Of Leadership"...

"48. Unclutter Your Mind

Beginners acquire new theories and techniques until their minds are cluttered with options.
Advanced students forget their many options. They allow the theories and techniques that they have learned to recede into the background.

Learn to unclutter your mind. Learn to simplify your work.

As you rely less and less on knowing just what to do, your work will become more direct and more powerful. You will discover that the quality of your consciousness is more potent than any technique or theory or interpretation.

Learn how fruitful the blocked group or individual suddenly becomes when you give up trying to do just the right thing."
firefinga Wrote:I suggest doing sports, gymnastics, weight lifting, or even better: running outdoors. Getting or being fit leads to proper metabolism, which will decrease apathy. My tips are a bit hands-on like lol

yeah, agreed. i was going to say cardio & fitness type activities outside too. i often feel great after getting a good workout. adrenaline, endorphin, blood flow. here in San Diego, always great to see the fit ladies doing their workouts outside too.

i bicycle, run on the beach/coast, and swim.

also, a good diet helps too - eat those foods that provide sustainable energy. for those in gloomier locales, might want to take vitamin D supplements, fish oil, etc.

something that helps me too is structure. I def tend to mope on weekends/days without structure. structure to the days. if you're not working, maybe take some classes? do volunteer work. join an association. develop your hobbies. do things to get in a zone where you're not focussing so much on the self. pursue actions/past times/experiences that cultivate inspiration and enthusiasm.

novel and challenging experiences are catalyzing to the human spirit...

cheers.
[Image: SmartyPants-Vitamins-180-2.jpg?1406280926]
apogee Wrote:yeah, agreed. i was going to say cardio & fitness type activities outside too. i often feel great after getting a good workout. adrenaline, endorphin, blood flow. here in San Diego, always great to see the fit ladies doing their workouts outside too.

I haven't been able to gym it for a few months as our dog Mutley has to have someone in the house at all times to watch over him. I was enjoying the gym before that and definitely felt clearer-headed.
Muttley Wrote:
apogee Wrote:yeah, agreed. i was going to say cardio & fitness type activities outside too. i often feel great after getting a good workout. adrenaline, endorphin, blood flow. here in San Diego, always great to see the fit ladies doing their workouts outside too.

I haven't been able to gym it for a few months as our dog Mutley has to have someone in the house at all times to watch over him. I was enjoying the gym before that and definitely felt clearer-headed.
hmmm, i love animals and all but having to full time monitor a pet seems a little over the top. have you considered solutions to this? trading your own well-being to stay at home all the time with a pet is a very odd tradeoff/excuse....
Yes, it's a little over the top in resolute terms, but only because I either a) get worried he'll have a fit while I'm away, b) inconvenience either of my parents having to take me back and forth as I don't drive, c) I'm quite happy at 16.5 st at the moment (lost 1.5 stone since Feb) and d) the intermingling apathy towards doing stuff that this thread outlines. It breeds an inertia to it all speaking about it. I think I will go back to the gym later in the year for sure, but perhaps tip 4 to myself from this:

Tip 4... go for a 10 minute walk to clear head from inside concentration all the time.
Muttley Wrote:Yes, it's a little over the top in resolute terms, but only because I either a) get worried he'll have a fit while I'm away, b) inconvenience either of my parents having to take me back and forth as I don't drive, c) I'm quite happy at 16.5 st at the moment (lost 1.5 stone since Feb) and d) the intermingling apathy towards doing stuff that this thread outlines. It breeds an inertia to it all speaking about it. I think I will go back to the gym later in the year for sure, but perhaps tip 4 to myself from this:

Tip 4... go for a 10 minute walk to clear head from inside concentration all the time.

go for it! get that heart rate up!

[Image: shutterstock_83893210.jpg]

the energy project:

http://theenergyproject.com/blog

"our mission is to change the way the world works
We offer a new paradigm. By intentionally investing in meeting employees' core energy needs, organizations can fuel sustainable high performance."
I recently took up hiking. Living in the country helps of course. Could you do some hiking nearby your living place too, Muttley?
Yeah, I probably should do more of that. Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can I direct more people to read – and post in – this linked thread... Statto 1 1,330 24th December 2013, 22:43
Last Post: Muttley
  cooking thread - post your creations cordani 76 14,525 30th June 2012, 14:53
Last Post: Law
  I'm in Helsinki - tips please! Logos 19 4,770 25th June 2008, 22:09
Last Post: vvr
  60 x 60 tracklist thread - PLEASE READ FIRST POST Jason oS 67 13,792 7th February 2008, 13:42
Last Post: Paradigm X
  In This Thread We Post Videos of Good DnB Dancing. dj hades 13 2,157 21st December 2007, 15:17
Last Post: qµ:rec