Batten down the hatches, 3m north sea tidal surge on the way

7 Replies, 630 Views

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7085394.stm

in a brief commons statement on thursday afternoon, environment secretary hilary benn said: "a tidal surge of up to 3m [10ft] is making its way down the north sea which could coincide with peak high tides.

"there is a risk of flood defences being over-topped on the coast and in tidal rivers, especially in east anglia, particularly the norfolk broads and the coast south of great yarmouth including lowestoft, and areas south of this as far as the coast of kent."

the environment agency's simon hughes said: "we're watching the situation very closely and we're gravely concerned about the scope for some serious flooding."

last time this happend over 2000 deaths in north sea europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/north_sea_flood_of_1953

Nervous Nervous
we are fucked

the planet is just going to kill off us parasites and start over
Paradigm X Wrote:we are fucked

yep.
evolution, hopefully the next dominant species on the planet wont fuck it up as much, then again what do i care ill be buried in the middle of some fuckin glacier by then
I have family in suffolk, but they aren't near coast, i called them anyway and i think the region they are in is safe, well as far west as they can be....
Fushara

I often think that.

Us human are full of so much self importance, its bollox. A meteorite could wipe us all out tomorrow and the universe will still be the same and carry on without us.
Nature is just WAY bigger than us! Icon_eek I think we just forget that sometimes...

Has anyone read The Swarm by Frank Schatzing?
I'm only halfway through at the moment, but it's fascinating how the smallest hydrate eating bacteria microorganism can cause massive natural disasters (well...for us anyway!)
[Image: xgnban_new.gif]
Shiva Wrote:

I often think that.

Us human are full of so much self importance, its bollox. A meteorite could wipe us all out tomorrow and the universe will still be the same and carry on without us.

I was thinking that the other day

theres debates and all sorts about length of oil supplies , whether or not mmcc is real etc, but we have no concept of anything outside of our understanding. we arrogantly assume we can predict everything and that 'wee fine' but any unpredicted phenomenon could trash us all.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MIX The Dicemen, Donna De Lory, Average White Band, Justice & Enjoy, Pete Rann & Tidal Muttley 16 6,556 17th May 2019, 05:54
Last Post: Muttley
  zayyaf - north star ep Muttley 0 1,837 18th May 2015, 19:42
Last Post: Muttley
  [Pinecone Moonshine 036] Maff Stenning - The North Sea Intimate InfiniteSloth 12 5,365 21st April 2015, 06:29
Last Post: InfiniteSloth
  must see vid of Saint Etienne - The Sea (PFM Remix) synced to, well, the sea! HiddenSound 11 5,435 1st May 2014, 21:33
Last Post: DJ ML
  OUT NOW: Simon Bean - Chaotic Harmony/The Sea (OmniEP023) Euphony 1 1,327 28th October 2013, 13:54
Last Post: Statto