[n00b] Tape Outs on Studio Mixer, No audio heard

9 Replies, 2895 Views

I have a Mackie DFX-6, I can hear audio fine out of the main outs but I want to hook up the mixer to my hi-fi amplifier through the tape outs on the Mackie which has RCA conectors like the amp. No audio can be heard through the amp but when I connect the RCA tape outs on the mixer to my tape deck and press record i can see the meters moving.

can you do this? connecting from the Tape Outs on the Mackie to a hi-fi amp to listen not record?
IG: @profane || soundcloud.com/profane
im not sure whats wron ghere but it sound liek you are not operating you amp correctly. Here's what the Mackie manual has to say about the outputs.

34. Main Mix Faders

These two faders control the final level of the signals sent to the MAIN outputs. The TAPE and PHONE outputs also receive the main mix, but are not affected by these faders.

All active mono and stereo channels that are not fully turned down will appear in the main mix.
theres no audio when i connect the RCA Tape Outs on the Mackie mixer to the inputs of the hi-fi amp, im using the same inputs that I use with other audio components but those work fine on the same inputs.... now when I connect the Mackie Tape Outs to a tape deck and press record it records everything from the tape outs. My question is why cant I connect the Tape Outs to the Hi-Fi amp and hear audio if it clearly works on the Tape Deck, is is cus its "tape" out only?
sounds like you have it connected to the wrong thing on yer hi-fi
ive tried every input on the hi-fi (CD, DVD, VCR, TAPE, etc.) cables are fine tested them out on other audio components, the jacks arent broken on teh mixer cus it can record on a tape deck......
so let me get this right, when you press record on the tape whatever is coming out of the tape output on the mixer gets recorded. but when you just straight plug it into say the CD input nothing happens???

have you tried connecting other devices to the hi-fi like an mp3 player or summat to see if its working??
beckett Wrote:so let me get this right, when you press record on the tape whatever is coming out of the tape output on the mixer gets recorded. but when you just straight plug it into say the CD input nothing happens???

exactly right!

Quote:have you tried connecting other devices to the hi-fi like an mp3 player or summat to see if its working??

yeh i have my other sound card connected fine thru the CD inputs... any other ideas, im fresh out lol

phantom audio for sure
aahahahahahaha yer gonna hate me i knew it was a n00b inquiry but not this bad lol...

the volume was too low on the hi fi amp, i have to crank it up really big compared to other inputs for some reason.......
Xyxthumbs

at least ye got it working eh???

i thought that tape outputs usually have an output signal level of their own....

there isnt a "tape" volume on the mixing desk is there?
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/dfx_om.pdf

check the section on Tape Output, almost describes yer problem!

says if the sound output from the tape output seems low, but your speakers are fine, try turning yer speakers down a bit and the main volume faders up a good bit

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mixer pick for an amateur RickDangerous 3 7,476 22nd May 2020, 11:24
Last Post: Muttley
  Soundforge Audio Studio Decent? esb 1 2,250 2nd January 2012, 10:48
Last Post: denaris
  Bulletproof mixer? Paradigm X 2 3,689 6th November 2010, 12:21
Last Post: denaris
  MIDI n00b questions denaris 14 2,907 4th February 2010, 13:12
Last Post: Lephrenic
  For sale: Soundtracs frankenstein mixer distantminds 0 2,482 15th June 2009, 23:30
Last Post: distantminds