Subvert Central
how do you guys feel about bouncing to stems for a mixdown? - Printable Version

+- Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Audio Production and Engineering (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: how do you guys feel about bouncing to stems for a mixdown? (/thread-26648.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

how do you guys feel about bouncing to stems for a mixdown? - ALPHA OMEGA - 4th March 2006

the summing mixer is is usually just a box with no faders & loads of channels like a normal mixer.

there's a lot of hi-end companies offering summing m ixers for pc/macs where you connect it to your soundcard & instead of using the cheap converters of that card u use the very expensive summing boxes circuitry & allegedly get that 'hardware' sound we all love & crave Smile

ppl like neve,prism,summit,etc do boxes like these but they ain't cheap No

how do you guys feel about bouncing to stems for a mixdown? - Macc - 6th March 2006

ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:No!

But thanks for explaining what a summing mixer is without being condascending about it.

Oops

I didn't mean to be condescending, I was just very surprised.

how do you guys feel about bouncing to stems for a mixdown? - subvert - 6th March 2006

alpha omega Wrote:no!

but thanks for explaining what a summing mixer is without being condascending about it.

Xyxthumbs

no prob, anyone else wanna buy it ???

bargain !!!!!

balanced passive summing mixer 16x2
l/c/r switch for each channel

selling at reduced price of £350 to anyone on sc

Smile

how do you guys feel about bouncing to stems for a mixdown? - subvert - 6th March 2006

alpha omega Wrote:the summing mixer is is usually just a box with no faders & loads of channels like a normal mixer.

correct, summing boxes tend not to have console facilities like:

eq
aux sends and returns (tho some of them do)
busses
mic pres

alpha omega Wrote:there's a lot of hi-end companies offering summing m ixers for pc/macs where you connect it to your soundcard & instead of using the cheap converters of that card u use the very expensive summing boxes circuitry & allegedly get that 'hardware' sound we all love & crave Smile

incorrect.

you are still using your sound card converters, or existing external converters.
these summing mixers tend to take a set of analog inputs and merge to a stereo mix.
a summing mixer, or any external mixer will not make your converters sound any better.
all that they will do is perform the summing of the channels in the analog domain, and not in software on your computer.
many suggest this helps spacial width and depth of field in a mix, amongst other things.

alpha omega Wrote:ppl like neve,prism,summit,etc do boxes like these but they ain't cheap No

but you can have my custome built summer for bloody cheap, and its every bit as good as any of the other passive summers on teh market, eg the rms folcrom Xyxthumbs

how do you guys feel about bouncing to stems for a mixdown? - ALPHA OMEGA - 9th March 2006

umnnn...back to the orignal question of Stems....

I'm looking to do this on a few projects but have a question...

When recording a drum stem (main drums not percussion) this will obviously have to be in Mono?

If there were any fx,say Reverb, on those main drums that I wanted to print, could I lay these down in stereo or would they have to be done in mono?

Baffled

how do you guys feel about bouncing to stems for a mixdown? - Macc - 9th March 2006

Do it how you like man Grin

But I'd say stick to what it is when mixing down.

That is:

Drums in mono, mix drums down in mono.

FX in stereo, mix FX down in stereo.

Mixing stereo fx like verb down to mono will change the sound of your mix.

If you want to 'print' all that together, that is, your drum track with verb on it, then do it as stereo - I am assuming your drums are in mono anyway already....?

how do you guys feel about bouncing to stems for a mixdown? - ALPHA OMEGA - 9th March 2006

cheers for that....so basicallly stick to the original mix setup .If it's mono keep it mono,stereo keep it so etc....

anything else I should be doing or avoiding like the plague?

how do you guys feel about bouncing to stems for a mixdown? - Macc - 9th March 2006

the plague Xyxthumbs

man, i dunno why you worry, you've been making tunes since most of us were in short trousers :d

there are certain things to keep in mind, but your habits are probably better than you think Xyxthumbs