Subvert Central
Headphone crew - Printable Version

+- Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Audio Production and Engineering (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Headphone crew (/thread-40656.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Headphone crew - Paradigm X - 8th April 2008

oh i seeeeeeeeeee....

posted in a rush, was just off to lunch Oops

ahh, so that massive spike at 500hz is, er, the signal they fed into it. Teef

doh

Cool, well a quick bargain hunt, ive done price beat on dig village, just wait a short while.

Shall purchase the amp forthwith.

Cheers

Headphone crew - Macc - 8th April 2008

Paradigm X Wrote:ahh, so that massive spike at 500hz is, er, the signal they fed into it. Teef

Clock the level - 0dBr, ie reference level zero.

Quote:Shall purchase the amp forthwith.

That's simply splendid good chap.

Headphone crew - Lephrenic - 9th April 2008

Listening to Richard Devine on my 650s. Icon_eek

Headphone crew - Paradigm X - 18th April 2008

Doh

For some reason the 600s have gone up £20

Curse my procrastination. Grumble

The bloody control surface i want isnt in stock so i thought id wait a while.

Ho hum

Bugger

Headphone crew - Paradigm X - 20th April 2008

Woohoo !

Quote:Thank you for ordering with http://www.play.com

Please check the following order information:

Order Reference(s) :

Item : Sennheiser HD 650 Open Headphones
Price : GBP 179.99
Quantity : 1
Delivery Cost : Free

because they went up, i found the 650s for the same price and decided to go for them. Just emailed jan meier too.

BTW I was reading about these cashback sites on Moneysavingexpert.com and play are involved (cheapest i could find). So i should in theory get about a fiver back in cash in a few weeks. Also get paid 2p every time i search on kelkoo ! 1 a day max. Might be worth looking into.

Cheers

Headphone crew - markgabba - 20th April 2008

Xyxthumbs

Headphone crew - Macc - 20th April 2008

You're going to buy them even though they have monster distortion at 3800Hzish?

Teef Teef Teef

[Image: teethtosser.gif]

Well it seems to have worked, i got £4.50 for buying it via the cashback site

interesting

Paradigm X Wrote:[Image: teethtosser.gif]

Hahaha

Cool

Well nice one for posting all your advice and experience on this again, macc, much appreciated.

Cant wait to get them, writing tunes is really frustrating when you have to constantly worry about levels, because the walls are bollocks.

Looks like ill have a mint monitoring setup, can work as late and as loud as i like, without worrying about room acoustics, and have the mackies to rinse it out now and again.

Cheers

break em in like a beartch and do lots and lots of listening! Xyxthumbs

and enjoy :d

Yeah, on top of everything else, itll be nice to do some detailed listening, .

Going thru my old favourites, tpower, plastikman, etc on great headphones will be superb.

Cheers

Headphone crew - tyler - 20th April 2008

paradigm x Wrote:going thru my old favourites, tpower, plastikman, etc on great headphones will be superb.

Yes theyre worth it even if you don't make tunes imo!

Headphone crew - Paradigm X - 21st April 2008

Yeah

The more i think about it the more i realise what a good idea it is.

No issues with room acoustics, can bea as loud as i like, conversely background is also cut out.

Dr Jan, whos makes the headphone amp I bought, has sent the amp, despite me 'echeque' taking ages to clear, what a star man. Should arrive in 5-7 days, hopefully not longer after the 650s !

Very chuffed.

Trying to decide if this thread has been dead helpful, or has convinced me to buy something I didnt need Teef the former.

and to top it all off, i won £57 on the lottery, so can buy the dbx compressor too ! Woohoo.

Nice one all.

Headphone crew - Macc - 21st April 2008

paradigm x Wrote:can be as loud as i like, conversely background is also cut out.

No No No

background isn't really cut out much with open back cans.

but way more importantly;

be very very very careful with your monitoring volumes, and take regular breaks. i really cannot stress this enough ben! your ears really get used to volume quickly (as i am sure you know), so better to err on the quiet side. you end up turning it up to check something, then going off to adjust it, then not turning it back. then when you have a break your ears feel numb - the worst - and whenever you go back after a good rest you think 'fakkin ell that is loud, and i had it like that for an hour!' Thumbd

i set my monitoring level and very very very rarely touch it these days. i have one for mixing, and a lower level for mastering, such that i am monitoring at a pretty consistent (and very moderate) level at all times.

don't f#ck with your ears!

Cool cheers man

Didnt actually mean it like that, im really careful about volumes, didnt mean i can cane it dead loud, just that now Im really restricted how loud i can play (i.e. not very!)

Cheers for the warning tho. Ill def be erring on the quiet side. Its so so so quiet up here tho, background noise, my new 'silent' (in london) PC is now mega loud ! Combined with quiet monitoring, i can hear it, which is annoying. Its only very quiet tho, so im sure (hopefully?) that theyll cut out enough of the mid-hf pc fan noise.

Cheers for the warnings tho. Been thinking about doing a 'k-system' style monitoring via the cans, as you suggested, consistent levels at all times sounds like a good idea.

Cool well my headphones should arrive tomorrow/wed and the amp next week. Shall start breaking the cans in this week and the amp after that. In 2 weeks or so will be flying

Cheers man, thanks for the warning. Im very grandaddy these days tho, pass the werthingtons!

Yeah sorry Ben - didn't mean to nag! It was as much a note to myself as to anyone else Icon_exclaim

No prob. Useful advice, for everyone.

I am well sensitive about volume these days, used to rag it all the time, now im more up on monitoring i do it really quietly - less room effects, no threshold shift, no fatigue. The occasional drunken rinse out ! But the only reason i turned it up loud was to critically listen to details, above london BG.

In london i could play it loud, cant here. Walls are bobbins. So headphones ideal.

I guess if i test it with a (say) dillinja tune, get at an ok level and set it at that.

I tell you tho, the other thing im a bit worried about is the occasional digital burst etc you get. On eheadphoens that could be a nightmare. Was thinking about putting an analogue limiter in the chain, set above the 'normal' level , but that would (prob) degrade quality (?) I remember reading once that youd mastered ripping the cans off when this happens !

Cheers

Headphone crew - markgabba - 21st April 2008

paradigm x Wrote:i tell you tho, the other thing im a bit worried about is the occasional digital burst etc you get.

that is one of the reasons i got rid of my duende, cos it kept glitching and giving fuckin nasty digital bursts! apart from scaring the shit out of me was thinking bollox to this, i don't want to wake up with a constant ringing in my ears or something one day cos of it Nervous

Something just did it here a minute ago, and it went through Space Echo, all my springverbs and my hardware.

It sounded Lovesmilie Lovesmilie Lovesmilie

Hahaha

Headphone crew - markgabba - 21st April 2008

Rofl

Headphone crew - tyler - 21st April 2008

what do you get digital bursts from these days? not had that since the dark ages

ive not had one for a long time, touch would, acid and some plugins would sometimes do it.

not had one for ages tho. Just on speakers its bad enough, but on headphones Eek

Im also predicting jumping out of my skin everytime my wife taps me on the shoulder, that happens already Hahaha

Headphone crew - Lephrenic - 22nd April 2008

Nah, with the openness of the 650s, you can hear a mosquito go by over the music.