Subvert Central
Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Printable Version

+- Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Audio Production and Engineering (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? (/thread-49369.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Ashtonron - 13th January 2010

Paradigm X Wrote:
Ashtonron Wrote:
Paradigm X Wrote:ive got a discount for owning lite whihc came free with my remote zero controller, and a 40 euro discount copun - can get the full live (not the suite ) for 179euros/about £150 quid - seriously tempted...

Hehe they will tempt you into getting the suite as well eventually !

TONS of people having crashing issues with 8.1.1 by the sounds of it tho... and i bought cubase 5 last year. (for 3x the price tho... )

seems a shame to miss a bargain and they do seem to be on the case with fixing things, do like the way ableton works, escpecially since been getting well back into 303/909 loop type stuff think ableton would be perfect for that.

Chin

2 days to decide.

off ill at the mo, will try the demo of 8.1.1. see if it crashes much.

cheers

8.1 is the worst version I have used... really unstable... I see why they have gone public with an apology

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - rondema - 13th January 2010

Paradigm X Wrote:ive got a discount for owning lite whihc came free with my remote zero controller, and a 40 euro discount copun - can get the full live (not the suite ) for 179euros/about £150 quid - seriously tempted...

I went for it Grin

Paradigm X Wrote:will try the demo of 8.1.1. see if it crashes much.

Has behaved itself for me so far... more fixes are on the horizon, 8.1.1. is just a stop-gap from what I've read. Do it!

Ashtonron Wrote:Hehe they will tempt you into getting the suite as well eventually !

Don't need the soundbanks.. Sampler was tempting but I'll be rewiring to Record/Reason so No
If I wasn't running Record/Reason I'd be rewiring to Reaper

dsp Wrote:you could sell c5 to fund it anyway as its now in the .ru realm

.ru realm Icon_question

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - denaris - 13th January 2010

C5 cracked & upped onto audionews etc?!

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - rondema - 13th January 2010

Wilshy Wrote:C5 cracked & upped onto audionews etc?!

Seen. I'm all fully legit these days. I did so at the right time as it looks like I'm about to re-enter mortgage territory Nervous So farewell expendable income Wave

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Paradigm X - 13th January 2010

Yeah me to, kicked the crack. Cubase 5.1.1 is running v stable here and dont want to jeopardise that. Im 100% legit now !

Spank rondema, getting me to spend money. I do like ableton a lot, prob will ...

Bit like you, dont really need all the extras, ive got komplete 5 and some other stuff so sorted for instruments, got a really nice, working, stable setup now.

Been fiddling with reaktor so not had time to play with the ableton demo, been using lite for a while and used 4-5 quite heavily in my try before you buy days too... so will prob cop, seem to be reasonably flush atm, and an unexpected cheaue for £60 turned up today! Icon_yippee

cheers all

Xyxthumbs

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Ashtonron - 13th January 2010

safetyboy Wrote:So whats the best way to chop beats? chop in session view or arrangement view? chop in session and slice to midi? or do you use the arrangement and then drop hits to impulse?

For me I use either session or arrange view, select the clip... make sure the transients are where I want them and then slice to drum rack.

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Paradigm X - 14th January 2010

well im distinctly unimpressed - it crashed about 5 times in an hour, leaving a process running that couldnt be killed.

Only had two tracks running, one midi controlling the ABL 303 simulator, and another doign a subbass thing, you can set the 303 to do a midi out, and got that working with the bass synth on a nothe track, but every time you click on monitor/arm on the 3030 to twiddle it, instant 'poof' crash where it just disappears. Neutral

Live lite does the same thing.

Shame, in theory it should be exactly what i want, but i guess i have to decide whether to pick it up cheap now and hope they sort it out, or forget about it. Neutral

They are also not allowing new sign ups on the forum or there are bugs in the forum Hahaha / Neutral as i cant sign up there either ... ho hum.

Looks like ill give it a miss. Ill have to look in cubase's arranger and try and fudge a clip type scenario.

Shame all i want is about 5 clips, each just 2 bar notes triggering patterns in ABL/ADM (303/909 vstis) and be able to freely choose between all patterns. And the 303 should also trigger a bass synth. Hardly Tim Exile territory ! Ableton would in theroy be ideal, but not the ways its behaving...

Ive emailed abelton FWIW.

Cheers

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - rondema - 14th January 2010

Neutral I don't blame you for swerving it then.. I can't say I've used 8.1.1. enough to be sure it's stable on my system Nervous I now have to have faith in Ableton's actions backing up their words regarding bug fixing (while they are clearly busy with other projects)..
As the core product they clearly realise have damaged their reputation for stability with Live 8, with holes being picked in their customer support too. My fingers remain crossed for my £160 punt..

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Paradigm X - 14th January 2010

well ive been thinking about this... possible i set up some sort of midi loop, but A cubase works just fine doing this and B it shouldnt just crash, should stop or warn you or prevent you but not just crash Neutral

It seems that the 2nd synth wont accept midi without being armed, nor will the first accept CC controls without being armed, which are then also sent to the 2nd synth... still not a loop tho.

POS Icon_evil

Grr, looks like arranger wont do it either unless I make every possible permutation a loop...

Doh.

As it happens Ableton support came back to me and (froim what I gathered from the german>english translation!) you cant have live lite and live full installed at the same time. I tried to uninstall Live Lite and the full version worked (nearly) perfectly.

So ive grabbed it while its cheap. Woot

Ill be pecking your heads forthwith !

I think the two together will be blinding, cubase is 10x better for mixing and midi editing, but lives a great tool to jam with and get ideas going.

Cheers

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - rondema - 14th January 2010

Xyxthumbs

8.1.2. is in beta, but not the big fix(es) that is(are) promised.

I will be following PDX peckings with interest..

>>My mind has been boggling with the fun I could have with this

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/01/14/ableton-serato-the-bridge-fuses-dj-sets-live-sets-full-details

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Hovver - 21st January 2010

Hello Wave

well, i've been havving a wee dabble with Ableton 8 ('trial' version) today after grabbing it a while back, and am, for the first time, really pretty inspired to use it to write with.... Icon_eek We had a gig last week and are using a Korg Nanokontrol for the drums/fx in one track, but with Logic. Now i love Logic, but fuck me, talk about making everything difficult when it comes to control - we're sat there waiting for a band to finish so we can go on, and scratching our heads/panicking over Logic suddenly not recognising the Nanokontrol Nervous Eventually got it sorted (just in time) but through hapless guessing and a bizarre, infuriating 'deselect me then select again and i'll work' attitude it decided to develop Banghead

Anyway, this is why we decided to give Live a go for the err, live stuff and it just rekindled my interest again......the features/instruments have always been inspiring, but for me not the workflow or feel. After messing about with the slice to drum rack thing though, it suddenly hit me just how much more quickly i can audition and chop up breaks etc - within the track itself - and just delete the whole thing without feeling like i've just wasted half an hour to get a beat that's actually a bit crap... eg, drop the loop in, chop by transients into drum rack (trying various beat divisions for different feels) and dick about with it, instantly. I love Logics EXS24, but the whole blag of chopping/exporting (admittedly now made a lot easier thanks to the export to sampler instrument feature) can be creatively sapping to say the least. No commitment issues or cluttering up your system with endless break instruments, just drop in, chop, then use or remove Xyxthumbs

Managed to get a really loose feel doing it this way too, which was something i never felt Live could do well, just the rigidity of it all can seem too strict...bit of a hip hop kind of track, but flowing pretty well and the bonus of it working perfectly with my novation controller is a definite plus.

....not one crash so far, either! Grin

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Paradigm X - 21st January 2010

I bought this beast yesterday - £150

well inspiring, and great fun. havent figured out anything beyond triggering clips and the mixer, but great fun all the same. DOesnt come with a manual Neutral / Lol ... refer to online vids, not much use with no internet on PC.

loving it.

and you can play tetris on it Lol

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Hovver - 22nd January 2010

Hahaha nice

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - denaris - 22nd January 2010

Paradigm X Wrote:DOesnt come with a manual Neutral / Lol ...

I hate this trend more than anything. One of the pleasures of new equipment was that chunky manual and bedtime reading.

@ Maff - why did you have to entice me to try Ableton again. You just got me into Logic more now a Logic lover making me feel like I should be working in Ableton Live now. I've always liked it, sounds like 8 is a nice step up. Damn you.

Better install that trial version I downloaded. Wink

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Paradigm X - 22nd January 2010

Wilshy Wrote:
Paradigm X Wrote:DOesnt come with a manual Neutral / Lol ...

I hate this trend more than anything. One of the pleasures of new equipment was that chunky manual and bedtime reading.

doesnt even come with a PDF manual tho ! "the lanuchpad is so simple you dont need a manual" Baffled

Yeah i miss proper manuals, i printed off the ableton one at work, (279 pages, took ages) huge and unwieldy, need to get it bound.

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Hovver - 23rd January 2010

Wilshy Wrote:@ Maff - why did you have to entice me to try Ableton again. You just got me into Logic more now a Logic lover making me feel like I should be working in Ableton Live now. I've always liked it, sounds like 8 is a nice step up. Damn you.

Better install that trial version I downloaded. Wink

Hahaha sorry Matt Oops

don't get me wrong mate, i adore Logic, but as i've been bleating for a couple of years, there's a real half and half feature set between both Logic and Live that i'll be glad to see come together, one day. Logic audio capabilities = shite, Ableton MIDI = shat

loads and loads of unfinished tracks in Logic that i need to get done, and def not gonna drop them just because Live 8 is feeling fresh at the mo.... just gonna get a balance between the two of them, and hopefully get to know which one i should be using for which type of feel etc Far too many good features on both now to be ignoring either of them

but then, there is always ReWire so maybe it's a no-brainer.... Chin

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Hovver - 23rd January 2010

ps just doing some ambient stuff in Live, the filter in Sampler is just perfect for getting loads of movement in with small movements. Really hate Live's horrific Sticklebrick looking GUI, but on the plus side i think that because it feels a bit alien/is so easily controllable with recording and MIDI, it's def brought about a freedom in a way... where you're sort of naturally doing more stuff 'by ear', instead of turning ULTRATECHNICIAN and approaching it all far too visually

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - safetyboy - 3rd February 2010

Getting used to the warping thing in 8 now!! great stuff!

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Delta - 3rd February 2010

How were Mullys loops?

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - safetyboy - 3rd February 2010

You dont need to chop loops before hand that use the whole tune and loop where needed!

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Delta - 3rd February 2010

I know, its bananas.

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Lephrenic - 4th February 2010

How long have we had YouTube embedding?

Ableton: Do any of you guys use it to make beats? - Statto - 4th February 2010

Lephrenic Wrote:How long have we had YouTube embedding?

a couple of weeks maybe