Subvert Central
other stuff you're interested in - Printable Version

+- Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: other stuff you're interested in (/thread-55805.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

other stuff you're interested in - Statto - 23rd April 2011

I'm finding it increasingly uninteresting to read about what new music people are listening to, enjoying, buying... even making, promoting, releasing... So what else have you all got going on?

Currently I'm:
— reading countless books on gender, sexuality, feminism
— arguing about those subjects on other message boards
— playing poker (and chess)
— watching complicated foreign crime dramas on telly (The Killing, Spiral)
— exercising lackadaisically
— converting chess books into various electronic formats (i.e. working)

Anybody interested in any of those subjects? Wave Or anything else at all?

other stuff you're interested in - El Guapo - 23rd April 2011

- art/illustration - check some of my stuff - http://guapica.tumblr.com/
- cinema in general, but got a sweet spot for stuff in the 50's-70's.
- studying holistic nutrition in school - so general health/wellness.
- adaptogenic plants
- swimming and stretching
- wine

other stuff you're interested in - lament - 23rd April 2011

"reading countless books on gender, sexuality, feminism"
i have read a lot of that, too.

i am into chess for a couple of months

"converting chess books into various electronic formats (i.e. working)"

what is that meaning?

lament Wrote:"reading countless books on gender, sexuality, feminism"
i have read a lot of that, too.

awesome Grin
anything in particular?

lament Wrote:i am into chess for a couple of months

"converting chess books into various electronic formats (i.e. working)"

what is that meaning?

two methods:
1) converting ordinary books into a format (ebooks) that can be read by ChessBase (a chess database program)
2) converting those converted ebooks into a format (ibooks) that can be read by a specifically designed iPhone/iPad application

El Guapo Wrote:- art/illustration - check some of my stuff - http://guapica.tumblr.com/

nice Xyxthumbs

El Guapo Wrote:- cinema in general, but got a sweet spot for stuff in the 50's-70's.

any favourites? Smile

other stuff you're interested in - Muttley - 23rd April 2011

Currently:

4D reality theorising, and how it prevents revolutionary achievements.
Several strange recipes, much to the distaste of close mates Hahaha
Writing about mythology/occult culture and new smilies.

And everything on Statto's list to some degree or another Xyxthumbs

other stuff you're interested in - Blunt - 23rd April 2011

got bored of The Killing halfway through.

Just catching up with Spiral now. Liked the previous series, and this one seems good, if a little predictable... a serial killer is it? oh. targeting young pretty women? really. main protagonist having problems with personal life? thought to. but, I persist.

Got A Serbian Film out to watch tonight, the case to which screams blurb about how shocked and disturbed I will be.

Oh, and looking forward to Gaspar Noe's Enter the Void coming out on DVD next week.

other stuff you're interested in - Paradigm X - 23rd April 2011

Recently i have been mostly;
  • Raising a child (!). Obviously this is taking precedence over everything else at the mo. So much fun and really rewarding.

• Synth DIY/Building/Modding (sort of music i know but doing more of this than actual music). Been meaning to pick your brains about piezos/contact mics/noise etc for a while but not got round to it. Wink

• Aikido (coming up for 5th Kyu - the second grade).

• Gardening/DIY/pottering round the house. Own our first house so making it as nice as possible for as cheap as possible. Smile

I know what you mean. I still lurk here a lot, but very little take my interest enough to participate in these days (no offence to anyone). Particularly dnb/jungle, not really listend to any in years, going back to acid and techno.

Wave

other stuff you're interested in - El Guapo - 23rd April 2011

Statto Wrote:
El Guapo Wrote:- art/illustration - check some of my stuff - http://guapica.tumblr.com/

nice Xyxthumbs

El Guapo Wrote:- cinema in general, but got a sweet spot for stuff in the 50's-70's.

any favourites? Smile

thanks Statto!

as for film of the era. Any works by the likes of polanski, fellini, argento, bergman, tarkovsky, antonioni, resnais, kubrick, hitchcock, bava etc.

other stuff you're interested in - adist - 23rd April 2011

walking part of the camino de santiago in a few weeks. did a month on a different route last year.

other stuff you're interested in - skygene - 23rd April 2011

Statto Wrote:— reading countless books on gender, sexuality, feminism
What's so hooking about these issues? Can you tell me a little about all this? Also what's your view on feminism?

other stuff you're interested in - noisemonkey - 23rd April 2011

Chanting, studying Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism.
Reading old books about the start of the rave scene, Class Of 88 is full of witty anecdotes.
Djing and starting to produce a little.
Enjoying married life.
Working lots to save for our Japan and Philippines adventures later in the year.

skygene Wrote:What's so hooking about these issues? Can you tell me a little about all this?

personal interest and involvement — see the end of this:
http://www.myspace.com/dastardlyexposure/blog/368714177

skygene Wrote:Also what's your view on feminism?

in one sentence? Lol well, okay...

feminism is essential, both as regards politics and for any real understanding of the world and societies we live in

Blunt Wrote:got bored of The Killing halfway through.

Icon_eek

I thought it was totally compelling.

Blunt Wrote:Just catching up with Spiral now. Liked the previous series, and this one seems good, if a little predictable... a serial killer is it? oh. targeting young pretty women? really. main protagonist having problems with personal life? thought to. but, I persist.

Yes, it's a bit predictable, I agree. Serial killers is just such a hackneyed theme (same as paedophiles). The amount of serial killers on TV you'd think there was one lurking round every corner.

Paradigm X Wrote:[*]Synth DIY/Building/Modding (sort of music i know but doing more of this than actual music). Been meaning to pick your brains about piezos/contact mics/noise etc for a while but not got round to it. Wink

the forum in general? or me in particular? (since I used to use contact mics quite a bit at one time – a long time ago now)

Paradigm X Wrote:I know what you mean. I still lurk here a lot, but very little take my interest enough to participate in these days (no offence to anyone). Particularly dnb/jungle, not really listend to any in years, going back to acid and techno.

techno Xyxthumbs

Muttley Wrote:4D reality theorising, and how it prevents revolutionary achievements.

Chin

noisemonkey Wrote:Chanting, studying Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism.
Reading old books about the start of the rave scene, Class Of 88 is full of witty anecdotes.
Djing and starting to produce a little.
Enjoying married life.
Working lots to save for our Japan and Philippines adventures later in the year.

and not moving at scrabble Bigstick

other stuff you're interested in - HiddenSound - 23rd April 2011

cool Xyxthumbs

Been interested in art, sketching, soundscape theory, how to listen better, skateboarding, eating raw foods. Mostly interested in just getting out there at bars or whatever and learning to socialize with people. Lol

also various things - noses, eyes, mangos, mushrooms & buildings

yeah falling out of dnb a bit... well what can you say, its not 2006-2008 anymore... Still mixing a lot, but listening to a lot of techno of various styles, detroit, dub, etc... and just learning to appreciate a lot of other music too. Like indie rock and classical. Branching out from a somewhat closed mind...

other stuff you're interested in - pressure - 23rd April 2011

inpo

-drinking
-fighting
-fishing
-eating
-sexism

other stuff you're interested in - Fada - 24th April 2011

spend most of my spare time carp fishing these days

[Image: fishing-smiley.gif]

if not out fishing preparing stuff for when i am, gonna be knocking up loads of stinky bloodworm boilies today

other stuff you're interested in - Paradigm X - 24th April 2011

Statto Wrote:
Paradigm X Wrote:[*]Synth DIY/Building/Modding (sort of music i know but doing more of this than actual music). Been meaning to pick your brains about piezos/contact mics/noise etc for a while but not got round to it. Wink

the forum in general? or me in particular? (since I used to use contact mics quite a bit at one time – a long time ago now)

Either or/both Smile Not got round to making any yet, got all the bits. My pile of DIY to dos gets larger... Smile Ill holler when i get round to it. I knew youd done a lot with contacts mics.

Statto Wrote:
Paradigm X Wrote:I know what you mean. I still lurk here a lot, but very little take my interest enough to participate in these days (no offence to anyone). Particularly dnb/jungle, not really listend to any in years, going back to acid and techno.

techno Xyxthumbs

AND acid :P Xyxthumbs

Got my 909 yesterday!!!

Lovesmilie

other stuff you're interested in - Roo Stercogburn - 24th April 2011

Running a guild in Rift.

Here's some recruitment. With style (but not perfect grammar):

[Image: Ze-Recruits.jpg]

EDIT: Hmm doesn't seem to show it properly here. Here's a linky: http://www.axiomfiles.com/Files/7284/Ze-Recruits.jpg

other stuff you're interested in - Euphony - 24th April 2011

I've been incredibly busy getting my label up and running and working on around 20 more tunes, which seems to be taking a lot of my time up at the moment.

When I'm not doing the above and not at work, I generally exercise daily (run, Kickbox, gym, cycling).
I also read spiritual books, and quantum mechanics and philosophical literature.
I go out and sample some ales with my Campaign for Real Ale mates, which takes me all over Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire sometimes.
I watch a lot of films and documentaries, and enjoy reading a lot about history.

Chin

I like hiking in the Sierra almijara and my wife and I like to travel a lot abroad.

and I like doing a spot of gardening Oops

other stuff you're interested in - Paradigm X - 24th April 2011

gis a shout when your in derbyshire mate, im just on the border (marple) and im a big fan of real ales Smile

other stuff you're interested in - Fada - 24th April 2011

Euphony Wrote:and I like doing a spot of gardening Oops

me too Grin