Subvert Central
WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - Printable Version

+- Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? (/thread-5992.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - ALPHA OMEGA - 19th December 2003

[Image: oogle.gif]

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - Matt - 19th December 2003

Who bumped this feckin' drum & bass thread

Ban 'dem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - Naphta - 19th December 2003

Matt Wrote:Who bumped this feckin' drum & bass thread

Ban 'dem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was Carlton from Fresh Prince!

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - cp_ffm - 19th December 2003

ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:On top of this ppl r still extremely dubious about giving out credit card details online which may prove a small hurdle initially.
agreed. i hope there'll be some advancements on micro-payment systems soon.
while i see things mostly like you, there are some other points that will change. what will happen to labels and distributors? distributors will probably become redundant. and labels will turn into some kind of web hosting companies though in the end they will serve the same job as nowadays.
but it seems blue isn't into it? Grin

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - ALPHA OMEGA - 21st July 2004

it seems the future now needs to be giving a big kik in the arse!!!!

Coz I need 2 start selling my tunes from my front room & bypass these bankrupting distro companies!

Icon_evil

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - fanu - 21st July 2004

ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:I need 2 start selling my tunes from my front room

or try door to door method Mutley-ani1

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - Form - 22nd July 2004

It was being discussed in other threads too, with ideas ranging from online MP3 (Ogg?) distribution to setting up a Subvert Central distribution organization. Hmm.

At least micropayment stuff has gone forward, PayPal is quite regularly used now, with iTunes and everything. Cool

fanu Wrote:or try door to door method Mutley-ani1
Hahaha

Man I'm wasted. Teef

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - devnull - 22nd July 2004

within in 5 years, snippets of all the hottest new Eskimo PCP Karaoke-core jams will be downloaded into the hard drive permantly implanted in my chest, based on some algorithm's concept of what music I like or simple statistics/probability... the stuff that sounds good automatically can be bought for a small fee (maybe a bit more than what artists make per album sold now but not like $12 or whatever) .

All this of course while I take shitloads of Nuke and ogle alien girls with 3 Boobies

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - Macc - 22nd July 2004

devnull Wrote:All this of course while I take shitloads of Nuke and ogle alien girls with 3 Boobies

Hahaha Applause

'You got a lot of nerve shownig your face in here'

'LOOOOGGHHHKK WHOOGGGHH'S TAAAHHHKKKING'

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - Logos - 22nd July 2004

Macc Wrote:
devnull Wrote:All this of course while I take shitloads of Nuke and ogle alien girls with 3 Boobies

Hahaha Applause

'You got a lot of nerve shownig your face in here'

'LOOOOGGHHHKK WHOOGGGHH'S TAAAHHHKKKING'

Hahaha "get yo ass to mars...get yo ass to mars...get yo"

Shall I?

Oh, go on then........

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - Breaker - 22nd July 2004

ah, this is a proper discussion.

vinyl is getting too expensive. its 9euro here in ireland for one 12. I'd buy more vinyl but i can't afford it. in australia its 25 dollars for one 12. that means 2 tunes on a 12 in getting very close in price to 10 tunes on a CD.

have to say, I personally see MP3s/oggs/AACs as the future. sell over the net. CD's too - if more people released their music on CD's more people would buy it. one of the problems with DNB is that if a newcomer gets into it, they have to go out and buy a turntable or get into Djing to hear the latest sounds. by releasing on CD producers/labels will slash costs, get more tunes out, and tap into the WAY larger CD buying market. the same could be said for MP3s/oggs/AACs, but with even more of a cost reduction. designers could be draughted in to do nice covers which could be downloades as jpegs to accompany the tracks.

which leads me on to my second point. AO touched on it about visuals. these days, DJ's are 2 a penny. every weekend whatever town you live in gets invaded by a horde of jet-setting "superstar" DJs and add to that the batallions of local lads and lassies all baying you your attention and attendance, you get a very crowded space. and every week its the same. bloke on decks - plays tunes- some good - some bad.

nowadays music is easy to make. you can knowck out a tune in a cuople of hours with a bog standard PC and some cogged software. equally, wih a cheap digital camera and some editing software, you can make really cool visuals on the same PC. there really exista an opportunity to create a multimedia experience that will set you apart from your competitors on a friday or saturday night. I'm talking about an integrated audio/visual performance now, not someone sticking on a baraka DVD while his mate djs. I saw Manitoba play live last year, and each song had it's own visuals. 10 years ago i saw fucking U2 do it with zoo tv. back then it was expensive, now anyone could do it. this could go a long way to making your event special, something to notice, something to go to. also, DVDs featuring the audio and visual could be released and sold.

ATM it seems to me people are bored of the same old system of clubbing/djs/records/drugs thats existed the last 15 years. it's time to re-think the whole idea of what saturday night should be about. isn't that what rave was at the start?

one last point, the music has to be quality. nowadays with the aforementioned ease with which one can make music, coupled with how easy it is to get music (file sharing etc) music is becoming more disposable, and theres more independent music than ever to be had too. the only music that will stand out in this ocean of sound is the real quality stuff.

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - john doe - 22nd July 2004

Applause
quality post

Good points Breaker.

One thing I would say is, at the end of the day ( Roll ) you can't beat a down to earth party, in a small intimate space, with loud music that flexes your mind and body, with people you can have a laugh with etc...in short a proper RAVE.

This is what our music should always be about imo.

Logos Wrote:Good points Breaker.

One thing I would say is, at the end of the day ( Roll ) you can't beat a down to earth party, in a small intimate space, with loud music that flexes your mind and body, with people you can have a laugh with etc...in short a proper RAVE.

This is what our music should always be about imo.

I totally agree, I'm just making suggestions that might move the concept of that rave forward a bit. there is nothing better than dancing for your life in a room full of lunatics like yourself getting punched in the chest by bass and having your feet and head confuse each other by trying to follow crazy beats.

breaker Wrote:i totally agree, i'm just making suggestions that might move the concept of that rave forward a bit. there is nothing better than dancing for your life in a room full of lunatics like yourself getting punched in the chest by bass and having your feet and head confuse each other by trying to follow crazy beats.

Yes Xyxthumbs

breaker Wrote:there is nothing better than dancing for your life in a room full of lunatics like yourself getting punched in the chest by bass and having your feet and head confuse each other by trying to follow crazy beats.

there is - playing those beats Falcon

fookin amazing, it is Cool

but anyway, i agree entirely Oops Yes

one more thing:

I think having different styles/types/genres of music at the one night would really help in a club situation. more people will come and more minds will be opened to different styles.

Breaker Wrote:one more thing:

I think having different styles/types/genres of music at the one night would really help in a club situation. more people will come and more minds will be opened to different styles.

But that isn't allowed Roll

Bollocks, innit!

fuck THE MAN Teef

john doe Wrote:fuck THE MAN Teef

You Dutch are up for anything, eh.......... Teef

Hahaha

yes i had that one comin'

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - Catastrophe - 22nd July 2004

It would be nice if DJs didn't feel like they have to play either a cutting edge set or an old school set. I know there's the whole tempo issue, but generally there's nothing stopping DJs from playing a mixture of old and new. More and more people are starting to do that, but not enough... IMO. Teef

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - khal - 22nd July 2004

ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:Y'all r just focusing on Y d&b has a certain sound/resurgence of nu-jump up

what about the rest of the music?

What's the future for that & for the 'scene' Baffled in general?

What areas are you seeing a neglect in & where would u like to see less focus?

How comes this music never capitalized on the successes of the 90's

Timeless,Miles From Home,New Forms,2 Pages,Modus Operandi,Colours,etc...

What's the future for this nasty beast we call jungle?

I've often wondered why dnb never capitalized on these gems... there have been some sick releases, but you'd think afte Timeless and New Forms ALONE, dnb would have went somewhere far. I think the ball was dropped after New Forms came out. Think about the labels those LPs came out on: ffrr, Mo Wax, Talkin Loud, Astralwerks, etc... those were prominent leftfield labels back in the day! I think business went bad when a lot of labels came out. It's sad but true. The industry mainstays (i.e. Ram, Metalheadz, Virus, Renegade Hardware, etc) are still putting up big numbers, apparently, but you can't deny that tons of same-soundy labels came out in the last 3-4 years. It's not their fault, though. If you have a shitload of music produced, and noone will sign you, and you have the means, WHY NOT START YA OWN LABEL?!?! It is a gift and a curse, really. I do think that the powers that be need to get their business-hats on, so this shit can prosper. I'm no label owner, I don't claim to know how to run music business, but then again, it doesn't seem like others do either. I really think if they get their game faces on and want to continue to make $$, shit needs to change. I like the ideas from this and other threads, about labels doing the self distro thing, hand-to-handing testpresses in stores, b/c I personally would rather the music to be on the street level. I mean either we have those viable artist records (Goldie, Reprazent, etc), people who aren't afraid to bridge the gap and present this to the mainstream, so niggas can start eating off this like Hip-Hop heads are, or we just keep it on the street and get the street paper. This situation is so fucked...

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE REALLY HOLD? - iNSiGHt - 22nd July 2004

The future will only ever be worth anything if it's true to your soul. Money is not relevant in matters of the heart, you won't be concerned with how much money is in your pocket when staring death in the face. There is always a way. The hardest road holds the most reward. Hippie blah rant two cent bollocks.
HEAVY MAN!! Oops

Sorry had a heavy heavy experience last night that has made me very reflective and proud to struggle for my dreams. Shame that shit has to happen to appreciate life sometimes. Peace, Love and Unity.