Subvert Central
Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future - Printable Version

+- Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Subvert Central (http://subvertcentral.com/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future (/thread-9277.html)

Pages: 1 2

Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future - Shiva - 21st April 2004

I feel this album so much, the Tony Williams track is too much Lovesmilie

Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future - B - 21st April 2004

Id like to feel his hancock!!! Teef

Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future - Croms - 21st April 2004

Herbs needs to stick with the jazz, jazz-funk fusion seen!

Croms Wrote:Herbs needs to stick with the jazz, jazz-funk fusion seen!

I dont understand what u sayin', I have yet to hear a Hancock tune that is not Jazz.....

Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future - Phokus - 21st April 2004

I think what Croms means is that he needs to stop playing around with the electronica...

Shiva Wrote:I dont understand what u sayin', I have yet to hear a Hancock tune that is not Jazz.....

What I am saying is that I love his stuff in its purest form and not some alteration to fit the time it is released in.

Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future - Macc - 21st April 2004

Hehehehe wise words from Croms.

Even Hancock says that despite all the millions of things he has used to make music, the acoustic piano is still the instrument on which he can best express himself....

P.S. Croms - Just chopped Butterfingers at work..... Bernard Purdie is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tight on that break it actually makes me angry Icon_evil Grin

Phokus Wrote:I think what Croms means is that he needs to stop playing around with the electronica...

Naw, I love it when he works the synths, but I love his music more live.

Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future - Phokus - 21st April 2004

That's kinda what I was driving at, but I didn't explain it very well!

Phokus Wrote:That's kinda what I was driving at, but I didn't explain it very well!

I know you do love! Kisskiss

Herbie has always been at the cutting edge has always push the sound forward. When he first started to do things on synths certain purists said "its not jazz", well they were chatting bull, far as I'm concerned Herbie is still pushing the boundries.

Watermelon Man was pushing it in the early 70's and his new stuff still does that.

I have seen the man live using a Grand and midi keys at the same time live whilst sampling the percussionist and overlaying that back on top whist still lossing on the grand.

To hear Tony Williams, Wayne shorter and Herbie on something that is truely progressive and still Jazz and not just another contempory Jazz tune (i.e. the day time shite on Jazz FM, gives me shivers.

Future 2 Future shows he's got the balls to make what he's feelin and still don't give a shit what the purists say!!!!!!

Phokus Wrote:I think what Croms means is that he needs to stop playing around with the electronica...

Roll Herbie pioneered the use of electonic keys such as ARP Odyssey in the 70's.

Croms Wrote:

Naw, I love it when he works the synths, but I love his music more live.

Still dont understand. I've seen him use synths live!

What I was getting at was that everything on "Future 2 Future" comes from the sampler. Get it now?

Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future - Statto - 21st April 2004

shiva Wrote:to hear tony williams, wayne shorter and herbie on something that is truely progressive and still jazz

add miles davis & ron carter and you have the finest ever modern jazz quintet

[Image: lisa.gif]

Croms Wrote:What I was getting at was that everything on "Future 2 Future" comes from the sampler. Get it now?

Not true!! :P

Tenor/Saprano Sax - Wayne Shorter
Electric Bass - Bill Laswell
Accoustic Bass - Charnett Moffett

statto Wrote:
shiva Wrote:to hear tony williams, wayne shorter and herbie on something that is truely progressive and still jazz

add miles davis & ron carter and you have the finest ever modern jazz quintet

[Image: lisa.gif]

indeed!! Cool

esp Lovesmilie

Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future - dodz - 21st April 2004

^^^

yup...all you need to hear is the feel they kick on the track called "MADNESS" from the record "NEFERTITI".

that could very well be my favorite jazz song of all time. i'm listening to it right now, and realising that every time i hear it, it makes all the likkle hairs on the back of my neck stand endwise. i've always been completely besotted with this song. its the essence of good music for me.

wow...that was a pretty good realisation!

Shiva Wrote:To hear Tony Williams, Wayne shorter and Herbie on something that is truely progressive and still Jazz and not just another contempory Jazz tune (i.e. the day time shite on Jazz FM, gives me shivers.

Tony Williams is dead. The track Tony Williams samples his drums though. Still, it's chopped up and from the sampler.

Shiva Wrote:Tenor/Saprano Sax - Wayne Shorter

Yeah and the drums from the sampler/drummachine. If the drums are from the sampler it's wack for a jazz pioneer. Period!

imo :P

Croms Wrote:

Yeah and the drums from the sampler/drummachine. If the drums are from the sampler it's wack for a jazz pioneer. Period!

imo :P

It is a tribute track to Tony Williams! Prob the greatest drummer ever imo. and how else you gonna do a track with William's drums without sampling him.

I know what u sayin, but can u honestly listen to this track and say it's "wack".

Cool

Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future - sileni - 21st April 2004

Croms Wrote:

pffft. i didn't really like that album, but what about the possibility that he just might enjoy the new aesthetic?

and it's ok for those 'lower on the scale' (like you) to try and create virtual drum solos from samples? :P :P :P, all in good fun - but that is an odd opinion to have, it makes you sound like you only listen to either purely sequenced or purely live music.

imho, of course...

Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future - raise cain - 21st April 2004

I actually saw the Herbie Hancock Trio (Herbie Hancock, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette.) last weekend & it was quite something. I didn't realize how much I truely enjoyed jazz until the moment that the Herbie Hancock Trio enraptured the audience at Massey Hall.

Never having attended a concert of this ilk before but loving the music for years, I wasn't sure what to expect & my 10 year old brother came along with us, who of course won't appreciate the experience until some girl mentions Herbie when he's 14 & he can say he saw it like the badmon he is, at the age of 10 with his older sister.

Hancock was quite entertaining throughout the show, which lasted just over 2 hours. He'd joke about not getting the notes right & about the nature of jazz improvisation.

m

@sileni

Yes, ofcourse, but he changed styles so many times I'm starting to wonder whether he actually likes the albums he does (or the producers who do all the hard work for him, because I don't see a piano virtuoso like Herbs sitting behind a sampler programming 24/7) or if he's just riding on the trends of the moment.

If you look back he did quite some, from early electro to 80's style pop music to contemporary electronic music like dnb and hiphop to whatever he did after that, because I kind of lost interest.

I think his music from 1962-1965 is the best representation in which he comes over in the fullest way possible.

sileni Wrote:it makes you sound like you only listen to either purely sequenced or purely live music.

Good conclusion, I have made threads about this already here on SC, it's my little frustration I have with sample based music.

But mister Hancock can do so much more in contrast to me just sitting here in my bedroom studio. I know it's not the 60's anymore, but that doesn't stop great artists from making good high quality jazz albums does it?

Purely subjective I know, blabla, opinions and all that jazz..