Best tune you've heard all day.

5593 Replies, 2249847 Views

Woo-yeah. Saw Grouper at London's Cafe Oto on Friday and she was amazing. Lovely woman too. Unfortunately she's taking a break from touring and will likely be heading back to Portland for the foreseeable, so no UK bookings feasible for now.

I met Slowdive's original drummer Simon Scott at the venue too, great bloke.

He gave me a copy of his Slaapwel records release, made available just that day at midnight. It's a label for music produced especially to fall asleep to.

What Slaapwel and Simon say:

Slaapwel Wrote:He has an excellent LP out on Miasmah, a few tracks lying around on various releases and has a very interesting past indeed. Remember Slowdive anyone?

What could be possibly better to describe a Slaapwel release than the artist himself? Especially if he is as friendly & modest as Simon Scott:

"I fall asleep in the sunshine quite a lot listening to music and this was my initial inspiration for composing 'Silenne'. When I played the guitar loop to Dag Rosenqvist, aka Jasper TX, who was staying at my house in Cambridge he suggested I send it into Slaapwel. I was flattered and pleased he'd heard the narcoleptic qualities within this music which I further developed by adding complimentary sine waves from SuperCollider alongside MaxMSP processed vocals that ebb and flow together in the final mix that Taylor Deupree mastered. It generally takes me 33 minutes to drop off so I cut the loop at this mark hence the length of the track."

Have a lie down in the sun - or moon, these are wintery times - play this record and enjoy some bittersweet dreams, because there is absolute nothing for me to add except that this release is simply of a breathtaking beauty that is not to be missed indeed! There are 500 copies available, they should last (hopefully) a while, but I kindly recommend you to click your way to our online store.

Good night & thank you.

http://www.slaapwelrecords.com/news/2010...scott.html
cheef Wrote:

LovesmilieLovesmilieLovesmilieLovesmilie

Woah this is heavy! Is there other stuff out just as good? never heard of her/him? yet...
This is just a single?.. Ill look around and see if they got any albums out.. Smile
Annastay Wrote:Woah this is heavy! Is there other stuff out just as good? never heard of her/him? yet...
This is just a single?.. Ill look around and see if they got any albums out.. Smile

Yeah, it's just a single and it's the only Joaan release I know of...but yeah, would really like to hear more music from this "Joaan" character! Grin

The flip is pretty good too... Xyxthumbs

New Flaco tune

http://soundcloud.com/flacodnb/flaco-got-to-have

Jig
Atomhead - Cyclotron (Subvert Central Vol. 3 EP)

http://www.myspace.com/subvertcentral

I don't enjoy all the "speedcore" and "flashcore" that's up on Youtube, but this is awesome. In fact all the Tron tracks are excellent, but that goes without saying because of the man who put it out.

Wave at the chess champion. Mutley-ani1

It makes me recall this part of the TDD 2 interview:

Jonathan Tait Wrote:Atomhead – well, Nick at Urban Decay got me into speedcore and flashcore, and so I'd come across Jan's music because of his record on Hangars Liquides. That led me to Jan's co-run digital label, Entity, and when I was getting his donation release, Spiral Field Velocity 1.0, I asked if he'd like to do something for SC3, and Jan sent me a load of noise techno he'd done. The three Tron tracks went nicely together, so there they are.

As it happens, after I sent him the other tracks on SC3, Jan wondered whether his would fit in. It's the same question as yours really: what constitutes an SC track. To start with it was what Rob and I both liked, as representatives of the forum. Now it's just what I like. That's all there is to it really. I wanted a lot of different musics in the same package, because it's more interesting, and also more representative of SC, in that we like all sorts of stuff. That the tracks on SC3 don't form a coherent whole was sort of the point.

Incidentally I really liked pacific (Nick who used to post on this forum) because he didn't need to completely rely on anyone else to inform his opinion, which friends he makes, and which he loses. He subverted having to be buttered up with praise and compliments to appreciate someone's individuality, and didn't take any manipulators lightly, despite dealing with them and consequently expressing the anguish that comes with stupidity, selfishness and ignorance. In other words, he appeared to be above all that. And I don't personally think you have to be bitter or riled to see where he's coming from. There's a great blog that I still take solace in when people try and give me and my true friends shit for being honest, being ourselves:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...=220360244

pacific Wrote:Some think if they can coax others to like them for a short time, that they must be ok. Treated as if they have given a lifetime of compassion. Rewarded with shortlived, but instant relief of bad feeling. You must be a decent person, someone cares about you, but your personality is a facade, so it's onto the next loser. And it can only continue until you're old and lonely and there are no suckers left...

The exercising of this right is supposedly an antiestablishment mentality... I personally find it's an antisociety mentality. The eternal recycling of media sponsored rebellion (ala cosmo magazine) isn't rebellion. It's a safe mock version of rebellion that changes nothing important and, ultimately, will be fatal to the last strands of civil humanity. And what is the purpose of these acts? Is it that you hate all the others and you want to differentiate yourself from them? Taking what you can in spite of everyone else... The rebel aspect is just an excuse. Finding people like you is as easy as finding a lesbian at a bjork concert. A true rebel walks alone...

I really wish he was still online. But proper personalities defy compartmentalisation.
^^^^

Nice post!

And yeah, Cyclotron is my favorite of the 3 tracks on there. Xyxthumbs
Muttley Wrote:Atomhead - Cyclotron (Subvert Central Vol. 3 EP)

http://www.myspace.com/subvertcentral

I don't enjoy all the "speedcore" and "flashcore" that's up on Youtube, but this is awesome. In fact all the Tron tracks are excellent, but that goes without saying because of the man who put it out.

Wave at the chess champion. Mutley-ani1

Kisskiss Wave

though I think of it more as hard techno than speedcore really Smile
Potlatch - Vacuum Conversation

Deepness!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r8oARQdO...re=related

Dance

A personal fav of mine, underrated tune I reckon
project pat - fuck a bitch Teef Pint Pint

Falcon

submerse
Brandon darby UKBigstick
http://soundcloud.com/edwardoberon/edwar...radise-vip

soulful vocals, deep vibes, vast breakbeats Homerdrool

I love the squelchy/farty bassline in this. That combined with the backing vocals makes it an awesome song.
Annastay Wrote:

Thats really good, not heard it before.
Laurel Halo - Metal Confection (Oneohtrix Point Never Edit)
Roo Stercogburn Wrote:
Annastay Wrote:

Thats really good, not heard it before.

Yeah I play that and sing the chorus on bad days. Not too sure how i feel about the guitar bit in the chorus but whatever. I hadnt heard him before this song, the lyrics were good and the way he flows remind me of this ( even though still very diff) old eligh tape i played on repeat in 1996; as they pass.

on the topic of that heres somthing off a later album of Elighs; love this.
Dub-One - Suspence

:holymotherofhomerdrool:
Thats really great oddness, Muttley. Again, I like this thread because I hear so much I would not otherwise have come across.

For me, today...

Big.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worst tune you've heard all day. pressure. 109 82,754 8th December 2023, 13:53
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  NEW VALENTINES DAY CRAPCORE MIX FROM MYSELF - 1 DAY ONLY listen before its gone Carbine 0 1,968 14th February 2020, 19:08
Last Post: Carbine
  Best mix you've heard all day. DIB 51 16,476 26th January 2020, 12:21
Last Post: Statto
  Favourite freebie tune of the day Ian Patterson 12 5,444 8th November 2013, 20:50
Last Post: MetaLX
  TUNE! needs to be heard! question also. brandz 10 15,642 11th November 2010, 01:07
Last Post: Macc