58 Replies, 19916 Views

recommendations...

amm
live at the crypt 12.6.68
generative themes

tim buckley
starsailor

rev gary davis
reverend gary davis 1935-1949 (yazoo reissues)

the dirty dozen brass band
mardi gras in montreux

fat
automat hi-life

incredible string band
the hangman's beautiful daughter

conlon nancarrow
complete studies for player piano (any volume - but vol.1 has the blues tunes Xyxthumbs)

painkiller
guts of a virgin
buried secrets

the residents
the third reich 'n roll
eskimo

mongo santamaria
yambu

the undertones
the undertones

victor malloy
the musings of monsieur malloy

bob wills and his texas playboys
the tiffany transcriptions (any volume)

Lisa Wave Wave Rainbow
ever check this lot out : http://www.electrotoxic.com , guys from Belfast, they create a variety of music, heavily techno and Jungle influenced, memebers of their kru have supported the likes of Plaid, run a night in Belfast, they're getting pretty popular these days, I've got dragged to too many parties with these guys playing live, it's a sight to behold, they certainly don't hold back.
I don't listen to tons of drum-n-bass actually. I listen to some at home,
as well as a little deep and tech house, some downtempo, jazz, hip
hop, soul, and a lot of punk, rock and a little metal.

The cd's and vinyl I've listened to in the last month include:
AC/DC(my favorite band ever)-all albums
Rocket From the Crypt-all albums
Ramones-Anthology
Jill Scott-Who Is...
James Brown-various 45's, cd's and Slaughter's Big Rip Off on vinyl
Cheap Trick-various, but mainly "Live at Budakan" on vinyl
Roy Ayers-Best Of and Virgin Ubiquity on vinyl
Motorhead-Ace of Spades
Descendents-Cool to Be You
The Darkness-Permission to Land
Ms.Six-practice demo
The Police-Syncronicity on vinyl
ZZ Top-Greatest Hits
Black Sabbath-various
Tribe Called Quest-mostly Midnight Marauders and Low End Theory
Common Sense-Ressurection
Cable-various tunes by him and his collaborations with Chris J
Aril Brikha-that album whose name I forgot...dammit.

Plus much more, including mixes by Bukem, Cable, Calibre, Fabio,
Takeya, Blame and Marcus Intallex.
mc valiant Wrote:Aril Brikha-that album whose name I forgot...dammit.

'departure in time' on transmat? lovely album. Lovesmilie
MBV
lush
new order
meatbeatmanifesto
ludacris
outkast
ride
stereolab
jayZ
black dog
boards of canada
Aint heard any of Meat Beat Manifesto's stuff since Actual Sounds and Voices........ Any good Mr Hak?
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
the newest one entitled 'in dub'..... best since 'radio babylon'.... so damn good.
get it!
Will do, echellente!

Love their work ethic, their sound, their style.... Not into the real acid stuff, but that is cos I am not really into the 303 sound.......

But 'The Thumb' is certainly a candidate for 'most influential tune of all time' for me. Fookin marvellous psycho computer live funk jazz jamming with a 3 minute mentalist noise interlude. I love it!
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Macc Wrote:Love their work ethic

What's their work ethic then chief?
The lovely webzine Brainwashed Brain has some nice live and interview video footage of Mice Parade and HiM. Pukka laidback vibes, I tell thee!
http://www.brainwashed.com/common/video/...040411.mov

On the other hand I just spent 30 minutes with The J.R. Ewing - Calling in Dead, jumping around my room, fingerpointing, shaking clenched fists and stagediving off the sofa. Edgy abrasive Postcore, hell yeah, these guys know how to rock.
Macc Wrote:Aint heard any of Meat Beat Manifesto's stuff since Actual Sounds and Voices........ Any good Mr Hak?
dude check out the Scorn remixes by Meat Beat Manifesto.
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
statto in updating old smiley links non-shocker Oops
We need more other music threads Wink
kontra Wrote:we need more other music threads Wink

Yes
some good advice here

Blue
Statto Wrote:bollocks to dnb

[Image: icon31.gif]
http://www.lastfm.de/user/cycom/library
Post in my em:t thread then. Roll
Wink

Xyxthumbs
Listened to some Woob. Liked it.

Not feeling Pete Namlook though (was recommended by Last.fm, when I started a station with similar artists like Woob)
lugubrum

belgian farmer black metal that from the early stage started to stroll on the perverted track. guitars went from regular bm chord progression to erratic riffs with ear-piercingly tinny low-fi buzz, banjo was introduced, songs got more and more odd, vocals started to close total delirium tremens with every release. 4th album bruyne troon has the nastiest intro i've heard this far with someone taking a loose sounding dump, recorded with a cheap mic. lyrics got more and more obsessed with (often foul or rotten) cuisines, gasto-intestinal conditions, feces and insanity. then came in accordions, saxophones, improvisation, odd time signatures and fusion influences. latest album 'albino de congo' was apparently recorded in congo which - if true - was a jolly experience (http://www.thelefthandpath.com/lefthandp...w_Lugubrum)

Quote:The locals were already quite nervous by our playing, but when [vocalist] Barditus started crooning they actually went berserk, attacked the shack and accused us of sorcery. Project manager Antoine managed to prevent a public hanging and we had to bribe local police to get us out of there.

A local musician had taught me how to make a thumb piano from bits of rubbish and to give it a ‘soul’ (apparently the trick is to soak it in urine). It’s the only instrument I took back to Belgium, my guitar was left behind in the turmoil (not that I minded, it too was soaked in piss).

greatest band i've discovered in the past two years.
Chin
AMM - Tunes Without Measure Or End comes up in some of my Pandora stations. 100% Lovesmilie my style Grin
cycom Wrote:Not feeling Pete Namlook though (was recommended by Last.fm, when I started a station with similar artists like Woob)

Really? What did you listen to?

I can recommend S.H.A.D.O and S.H.A.D.O 2 that he wrote with The Higher Intelligence Agency.
Concept81 Wrote:
cycom Wrote:Not feeling Pete Namlook though (was recommended by Last.fm, when I started a station with similar artists like Woob)

Really? What did you listen to?

I can recommend S.H.A.D.O and S.H.A.D.O 2 that he wrote with The Higher Intelligence Agency.

Not sure, which track it was Oops But I'm not so much into "proto-trance" (Pete Namlook, Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, etc.)

... Basic Channel, Porter Ricks, Cristian Vogel are much more down my alley Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Omni Music Promotions Thread Muttley 30 15,718 27th August 2017, 12:01
Last Post: Muttley
  Official Free Music Thread subvert 25 10,931 17th April 2012, 11:19
Last Post: fonik
  the ROCK music thread Abend 9 4,923 13th March 2012, 10:44
Last Post: Statto
  2012 Forthcoming Omni Music Thread..Jungle, Ambient, DNB and strange things... Euphony 7 6,029 21st February 2012, 20:10
Last Post: Euphony
  Jungle Music Appreciation Thread strike 29 9,394 28th June 2009, 00:01
Last Post: rondema