ESB & Union Subvert Central MiX!

115 Replies, 141240 Views

you should see my line stats since this mix went up nearly uploading on full whack for almost 2 days Spank Mutley-ani1

@esb Idon't think that many people are hating the mix
dsp Wrote:you should see my line stats since this mix went up nearly uploading on full whack for almost 2 days Spank Mutley-ani1

again i thank you and SC thanks you for your kindness. i can switch it
back to bitterbrew at the start of july if that helps you out?
shooter Wrote:but only because i want to hear some of these tunes that are so talked about and that only dubsluts have.

Some of us have them not because we're dubsluts but because we try to be nice and make friends on message boards rather than incessantly criticizing within the first six posts that we make.

Shooter Wrote:Continue to do what you do and build up your fanbase - I just wish sometimes ppl would stop jumping on a bandwagon and exaggerating things and listen and speak out.

Another extremely arrogant comment. Everyone who says they enjoy the mix and thinks the tunes are great is exaggerating and jumping on a bandwagon? Thanks. Welcome to the board.
you say tomato - i say tomato - or whatever.

sorry i got a little OT. I was generalizing about the way that when certain ppl post mixes or ads about their shows and they brag about the hot new tunes that they have and imply how cool or important it makes them - and then usually a bunch of ppl jump up and say how cool they are and how much of an amazing dj they are for having these tunes - not necessarily for their mixing ability. drives me nuts. I guess this comment was just a general rant about dubplate culture and bandwagon jumping, not just this mix. sorry.

anyway enough of this - ive made a complete ass of myself very quickly and will now post nothing more until a mix is posted soon.

-s
now...Its shooters turn
in the 21st century silent advertising does not work.

marketing101
shooter Wrote:anyway enough of this - ive made a complete ass of myself very quickly and will now post nothing more until a mix is posted soon.

Hugs
shooter Wrote:you say tomato - i say tomato - or whatever.

sorry i got a little ot. i was generalizing about the way that when certain ppl post mixes or ads about their shows and they brag about the hot new tunes that they have and imply how cool or important it makes them - and then usually a bunch of ppl jump up and say how cool they are and how much of an amazing dj they are for having these tunes - not necessarily for their mixing ability.

i see what you mean and to some extent i do agree but still in the end it really isn't something you should bother yourself too much with. this is not a race or competition eh?

oh yeah and Wave welcome aboard!
shooter Wrote:while the tunes are great for the most part - i hate to be the one to say that i have never been a fan of esb and unions mixing and structure of sets...so boring! I know they are trying to let the tunes roll out and all, but try to build a little energy or something! I feel like they just put the names of the tunes in a hat and picked them at random....why do i feel this way about most newer mixes, especially esb/union ones? i know im new and dont mean to be slagging especially for such a great cause, but i kind of felt it needed to be said... just my .02 Oops

esb + union rule.
shooter Wrote:Here the DJ is free to take the audience on a journey. I dont think it has anything to do with how you mix the tunes, i.e. letting them play out or whatever - at least i wouldnt do that if i had a radio show - and if i did i would hope my audience would tune in to be taken on a journey - not just to hear the tunes i play.

Hello 1996, Shooter called and was looking for his mystical ecstasy journey. You are too funny. We spin drum and bass, not trance. If I was looking to take someone on a journey, I definitely would not pick up D&B records to do so. And the days of ecstasy driven journeys are long gone with this fellow. So are you going to say that DJs like Bailey or Andy C are no good due to how they play live and on their radio shows. They stop tracks in the middle of them, redrop tracks, and do not even mix some of the time. But the simple fact remains they are both phenominal DJs regardless of what they spin. And just so you know SHooTER, when I play out at a party, I have a much different DJing style. Just a quick question shoooter: How do you take someone on a journey when playing edits and amen smashers? And much like ESB I play the radio shows for myself and to have the producers heard, not to show off my DJing skills. Does an MC help with the journey you are trying to take people on Shooter? I cannot wait to hear your mix, and atleast once pull a record back so I know you just haven't computer mixed it.

HATERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!!!!
bukem's tapes have taken me to a journey [Image: smile-l.gif]
Do not get me wrong, I like bukem, but that is not the style of music that is represented on SC nor is it the style of the tracks that we usually spin. For the most part we play a lot of edits and abstract beats.
I am not trying to pick fights with anyone on here, just dissapointed that I have to justify how ESB and I dj. If you have noticed ESB and I do not use the title DJ in front of our names as we are not turntablists. Just a couple of guys that love the music and try to help others hear the lesser heard abstact beats made by some of the most brilliant producers out there. Oh ya and doesn't bukem play liquid funk now. Kinda hard to take someone on a journey with that. His older stuff ya.... like I said 1995-1996.
taking someone one a journey can be interpreted in lost of ways, no?

guys guys, remain calm Cool
great mix, shooter went over the top, he got put in his place...he excused himself, he's ashamed of his banter...no point in kicking any further i guess

peace, love & union alright Teef

the weekend has started ow yeaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Falcon
Cheers !!!
karbonkid Wrote:he got put in his place

Did he fuck with your father? Did you shut him down?

20%!

Teef
Union Wrote:Hello 1996, Shooter called and was looking for his mystical ecstasy journey. You are too funny. We spin drum and bass, not trance. If I was looking to take someone on a journey, I definitely would not pick up D&B records to do so.

wow. really? I would. am i funny? Glad you think so. who said extasy dude? laugh at my terminology but you know what im talking about.

Quote:And the days of ecstasy driven journeys are long gone with this fellow. So are you going to say that DJs like Bailey or Andy C are no good due to how they play live and on their radio shows. They stop tracks in the middle of them, redrop tracks, and do not even mix some of the time. But the simple fact remains they are both phenominal DJs regardless of what they spin.

No doubt. They think outside the box, theyre not afraid to just stop tracks or drop other ones in where it is appropriate. They can also pull off long, smooth mixes in the same set! They have variety and contrast and texture in their DJing. They dont just drop "the hot new shit" in a lame - o mix and go "oohhh yeah! the hot new shit from xxhjgkghx and im the only one thats got it! keep it locked for more of the same" or whatever

Quote:And just so you know SHooTER, when I play out at a party, I have a much different DJing style.

good man. most ppl do i think. It has something to do with a bunch of ppl looking at you and a dancefloor to cater to. I mentioned these differences in an earlier post.

Quote:Just a quick question shoooter: How do you take someone on a journey when playing edits and amen smashers?

Simple. You DONT PLAY ALL AMEN EDITS AND SMASHERS. You can take ppl on a journey with edits. and smashers are a part of that "journey" too. and so are all the other kinds of dnb or even music that isnt dnb. Think outside the box man.

Quote:And much like ESB I play the radio shows for myself and to have the producers heard, not to show off my DJing skills. Does an MC help with the journey you are trying to take people on Shooter? I cannot wait to hear your mix, and atleast once pull a record back so I know you just haven't computer mixed it.

ok whatever dude. standby. should be up monday. anyone want to donate web space?

-s
now...Its shooters turn
Who are you to tell Union what he's allowed to play and what he's not?
shooter Wrote:No doubt. They think outside the box, theyre not afraid to just stop tracks or drop other ones in where it is appropriate. They can also pull off long, smooth mixes in the same set! They have variety and contrast and texture in their DJing. They dont just drop "the hot new shit" in a lame - o mix and go "oohhh yeah! the hot new shit from xxhjgkghx and im the only one thats got it! keep it locked for more of the same" or whatever

Thank you for proving my point that radio shows are not about taking a journey. And anyone that listens to our shows knows that we just do not drop all the hot tracks, we dig for classics on a regular basis. I can just say that ESB's collection goes deeper than you will ever know. In case you have not noticed most people do not go around on here slagging other members over their mixes. Just something to keep in mind for the future. There are other boards for that kind of thing. Hey sorry that we cannot impress you with our style, but we did not start DJing for your pleasure. It was for our love of the music, which it will continue to be.
And as for hosting your mix on our server, it is being reserved for those who appreciate us and our mixing and track selection. Also for those who try to push the sound forward in a positive manner. We are about furthering the music not ourselves; if anything good comes out of what we do, cool, but if not we will continue to DJ for the love of the music. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to come and slag a couple of DJ's on this forum is completely uncalled for. And we will be waiting anxiously for your mix and please make sure you do not get your computer to mix it for you. Pull a record back or scratch or something so I know it is real.

Big up all the supporters!!
union Wrote:do not get me wrong, i like bukem, but that is not the style of music that is represented on sc nor is it the style of the tracks that we usually spin. for the most part we play a lot of edits and abstract beats.
i am not trying to pick fights with anyone on here, just dissapointed that i have to justify how esb and i dj. if you have noticed esb and i do not use the title dj in front of our names as we are not turntablists. just a couple of guys that love the music and try to help others hear the lesser heard abstact beats made by some of the most brilliant producers out there. oh ya and doesn't bukem play liquid funk now. kinda hard to take someone on a journey with that. his older stuff ya.... like i said 1995-1996.
yea the 95-96 was just the period i was talking about. the stuff he's been playing for the past years is pretty uninteresting alright.

but my original point was that a progressive set that "takes you onto a journey" doesn't have to have a single smooth string or atmospheric amen. it's not that much about (roughly said) what sub-genres do you include to your set than what tunes and in what order you play them.

but in the end it's all extremely subjective [Image: smile-l.gif]
shooter Wrote:while the tunes are great for the most part - i hate to be the one to say that i have never been a fan of esb and unions mixing and structure of sets...so boring! I know they are trying to let the tunes roll out and all, but try to build a little energy or something! I feel like they just put the names of the tunes in a hat and picked them at random....why do i feel this way about most newer mixes, especially esb/union ones? i know im new and dont mean to be slagging especially for such a great cause, but i kind of felt it needed to be said... just my .02 Oops

read this post. read it again.

no need to feel attacked imho... just a matter of taste i think. i personally like their mixing, but if someone else doesn't don't feel attacked immediatly. if someone tells me they don't like me columns or stories i ask them why and try to understand why they didn't like them. ofcourse it hurts a bit on the inside, you've done some hard work on it and won't other people to like it, but everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion imho...

and a really good dj set is all about taking you on a journey/telling a story imho.
[Image: banner.gif]

don't take life too serious, it doesn't take you serious either.
esb Wrote:blue - my mind is going - subvert central [sc002]
fracture & neptune - boogaloo - subvert central [sc004]
pieter k - crossroads - subvert central [sc003]
blue - nextploitation - subvert central [sc002]
fanu - orient dawn - subvert central [sc006]
pieter k - maze - subvert central [sc003]
fracture & neptune - something with no beats - subvert central [sc004]
blue - suck - subvert central [sc002]
alpha omega - militant thoughts - subvert central [sc001]
sileni - another track - subvert central [sc005]
alpha omega - swingers - subvert central [sc001]
fracture & neptune - clouds over memphis - subvert central [sc004]
fanu - bad karma - subvert central [sc006]

there is the proper setlist

hmm..

i liked the mix especially FOR the fact that it wasn't just tune after tune.

it starts in a jazz-mode, goes on to a section with nothing but pure drums, lightened up by the wicked atmos of orient dawn, changes the mood with the F&N no beat-track to techier/nastier territory with suck, the sileni tune, AO's bits and ends on an almost emotional tip with the final chords of swingers, the most wonderful clouds over memphis and the haunting halftime-sparseness of bad karma.

shooter, i respect that fact that you don't just roll with the big-up-crew and apply your criticism, but frankly i think youre wrong. this is one of the most "journey" like mixes i've heard in a long time, and its only supposed to be a promo-mix. i don't agree with it being boring or unoriginal in any sense because its got the programming of a proper set AND explicitly shows the versatility of the SC-sound.. what more can you ask for?
very much looking forward to a mix of your own, because i agree, that most dnb-dj's today are very much of the "dubslut-but-no-sense-for-set-structure-kind" you described earlier and i would like to hear someone do it differently. concerning this mix though, i think esb&union did exactly what you said they didn't. i don't believe this whole "journey"-shit is a thing for techno or trance or whatever. it can be done with any kind of music and with any lack of drugs.
i've been a dj myself for more than ten years now, i know a thing or two about the trade.. this is a great mix, with tunes that are harder to put into such a context than others, and you both pulled it off magnificently Applause
the irony is, most of ESB and Union's radio mixes aren't only about edits and "abstraction", they throw in plenty of more mainstream / straight beats that hardly ever seems to get mixed with the former. so i don't really understand these arguments about myopic setlists and monotonous mixing, especially since a lot of the mixing is very creative (at least as often as it's not).

i do agree with the point someone made much earlier about DJs not mixing it up anymore, and just letting tracks play out one after another etc. there's nothing inherently wrong with mixing outro -> intro, but it seems way overdone in the dnb scene. i don't think it would've hurt to mash up the Subvert mix a little more, because a really compelling mix of tunes all from the same label is certainly going to draw people to that label, and show off the DJ potential of the tunes. if the tracks were unsigned, then maybe they should have been left alone, but i think this mix could've afforded to be a little more dynamic.
I re listned to this again last night.

you have to keep in mind the non-subvert listening to this mix. They will probably say
1)the intro is a great track but probably could have been used better elsewhere. doesnt really grab you.
2)the second track is great but plays FOREVER - and its an epic 9'oclock tune in a set isnt it? I fell like this would fit better later on.

theres a bunch of specifics that i wont list here in the middle meat section of the mix - just akward programming i feel.

and the fanu track at the end is so awesome - but not as a finishing track! I just dont think ending the mix on that note works.

I would love to get copies of all of these tunes and do my own version of the mix....
now...Its shooters turn
shooter Wrote:I re listned to this again last night.

you have to keep in mind the non-subvert listening to this mix. They will probably say
1)the intro is a great track but probably could have been used better elsewhere. doesnt really grab you.
2)the second track is great but plays FOREVER - and its an epic 9'oclock tune in a set isnt it? I fell like this would fit better later on.

theres a bunch of specifics that i wont list here in the middle meat section of the mix - just akward programming i feel.

and the fanu track at the end is so awesome - but not as a finishing track! I just dont think ending the mix on that note works.

I would love to get copies of all of these tunes and do my own version of the mix....

[Image: record.jpg] & [Image: paint.jpg]
[Image: GoEnglish_com_BeatADeadHorse.gif]

Beating a dead horse. Let it go already dood. You have your opinion and you will never convince us that is how it is. Shouldn't you be programing the mix you are doing. Aren't you gonna show 2 freestyle dj's what a proper set sounds like. We play live and on the fly for the radio shows.... so please show us up with a set that took a week to put together. Like comparing apples and ostriches.
shooter Wrote:1)the intro is a great track but probably could have been used better elsewhere. doesnt really grab you.

and the fanu track at the end is so awesome - but not as a finishing track! i just dont think ending the mix on that note works.

ah well, now we're onto personal taste here
personally i think that those tunes are excellent where they are

my mind is going is a real sneaky piece and it's a great way to open
sure you could use it as a tempo switcher later on but i really prefer it where it is.
i want the listener to have to hear this track on its own and from its subtle beginning...
for the listener to think this is a fucking amazing track (i.e. showcasing the tune itself)
rather than that it makes a nice change in the mix (i.e. showcasing the dj)

bad karma makes a nice end for two reasons:
the mournful horn sample, a sort of last post clarion call
and fanu's half-tempo drums which slow the mix down for the finish

obviously the mix could be done differently
but i think this one works just fine Yes Yes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  60 x 60 – a Subvert Central project Statto 0 6,471 5th April 2008, 08:25
Last Post: Statto
  ATTN Subvert Central Recordings credit card crew Statto 15 24,692 25th March 2007, 16:27
  Subvert Central SC004 Mantis2K 28 35,132 17th March 2006, 16:03
Last Post: Mantis2K
  Subvert Central Recordings subvert 2 8,871 21st February 2006, 01:15
Last Post: J.DIGITAL
  Subvert Central Vol.1 general release Statto 43 53,782 10th February 2006, 19:54