producing noob here, whats your opinion of Fruity Loops?

27 Replies, 6240 Views

Macc Wrote:I don't want this thread to go off topic, so I'll answer that ^ . Then we can get back to Fruity Loops and discuss bit depth elsewhere.

Quote:aint that better than 24 bit?

- Put simply, 32 bit floating point is 24 bit resolution with 8 bits for information above 0dB. 32 bit has over 1000dB headroom or something stupid (I forget cos I never go over 0 anyway).

- mixing down to 32 bit FP is fine and dandy until you try to play it out of a DA convertor. To my knowledge no convertors handle 32 FP, all convertors are 24-bit resolution. So if you use the 8 bits above 0dB it will all get 'chopped off' when you actually try to play it back anyway, ie clip

- in short, 32-bit FP is very useful in the box, within Cubase and so on. You can drive a channel right into the red and it won't clip, BUT as soon as your signal hits the 'bit bottleneck' of your DA convertor - ie the master out, the extra info is lost and you'll get clipping. So in cubase etc, red light on a channel = no big deal, red light on the master = big deal.

- mixing down to 32 bit FP from Fruity Loops means keeping it under zero anyway, cos when you go down to 24/16 bit (say, 16 bit for CD) the info over 0dB > clipping. So really it's just a waste of hard disk space in the overriding majority of cases.

Smile

fantastic info!

Say I wanted to send you a track for mastering mixed in FL, would it be harmfull/destructive to the audio to convert it to 24bit in soundforge, adobe .etc. before sending it your way? ( after turning down the master so it aint clipping Oops ) or would it be better off leaving that bizness to you? Icon_question

Messages In This Thread
producing noob here, whats your opinion of Fruity Loops? - by katatonic - 26th February 2008, 10:50

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ProducerLoops.com Releases 'R-Loops: Free Kits' equinoxsounds 1 3,858 3rd October 2011, 20:34
Last Post: Shiva
  Free Dance Glitch Loops equinoxsounds 12 6,835 10th January 2011, 18:07
Last Post: rondema
  Breaks, Samples, Loops to Download Roo Stercogburn 10 6,009 11th November 2010, 01:53
Last Post: Hovver
  Smooth, crime rhodes loops... snaper 12 4,804 16th September 2010, 14:11
Last Post: snaper
  Rob Playford on producing Timeless (SOS) Paradigm X 16 3,832 12th June 2009, 02:37
Last Post: morphy