House bags...

20 Replies, 6399 Views

Build identity for a label. You can have the fanciest graphics you like on the label of the 12" but in most shops no one will see it unless they buy the record. Just a thought.

I think small labels really need to look at thier visual representation, it's a sad but true fact that unless people have heard of or are a fan of a label they are more inclined to check out a release if it has a nicely designed look about it. i know J is into doing different things with the presentation of his product (if I ever saw any of it I'd be able to comment more Smile )... I reckon others should take notice.

Stacks
Fine in principle, but how much do they add to the cost of the release?
yeah.. that is a factor but you gotta spend money to make money guy.

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
Packaging also helps to sell Vinyl in the face of competition from internet downloads etc.

Stacks
It also helps line the pockets of greedy graphic designers like myself who extort literally 10s of pounds out of gullible labels in exchange for their 'services'

Stacks
i do love generic house bags.

part of the reason i loved moving shadow so much was the old generic moving shadow bags.. from the b&w ones through to the uncoated brown.. to the blue and white ones. great attention to detail and top stuff. Xyxthumbs

a lot of money to invest for a smaller label though.. Wink
[Image: dsbanner.jpg]
.. especially when
Stacks Wrote:It also helps line the pockets of greedy graphic designers like myself who extort literally 10s of pounds out of gullible labels in exchange for their 'services'
Grin
If I ran a label ideally each release would have amazing artwork (a la Headz) to make them into long term collectors items and to add to the mystique, kind of like the Factory records design principle.

Obviously there are real cost issues though. House bags cost a bit as well I'd wager, though you'd cut the cost if they were only (say) two tone, surely? Neutral
logos Wrote:if i ran a label ideally each release would have amazing artwork (a la headz) to make them into long term collectors items and to add to the mystique, kind of like the factory records design principle.
Xyxthumbs well said sir!

logos Wrote:obviously there are real cost issues though. house bags cost a bit as well i'd wager, though you'd cut the cost if they were only (say) two tone, surely? Neutral
one colour even.. let the paper stock be the other colour. Wink
look at soul:r (okay so they are a big label) - their house bags are just 1 colour on manilla. If you plan to print 5000 tunes over the course of 5 releases it makes financial sense. only problem is that most small labels work on a hand to mouth basis so can't look that far ahead.

Stacks
simple can be effective...

partisan anyone?
Twothumbs
This is something i have been thinking about the last week or so, i agree with Stacks Packaging can play one of the most important parts of selling a record, especially if you are a new label starting up.
So true AE, and I think house-bags are the way to go if you can possibly afford it. Like I said no-one ever sees the label artwork until they either buy the tune or ask to listen to it.

Stacks
altered ego Wrote:this is something i have been thinking about the last week or so, i agree with stacks packaging can play one of the most important parts of selling a record, especially if you are a new label starting up.

i agree with this as well

maybe black sleeves with stickers on is another way

Chin
£182 for 500 full colour sleeves or £241 for 1000 if you get them printed in the Czech republic.

Stacks
statto Wrote:i agree with this as well

maybe black sleeves with stickers on is another way

Chin

i was looking into pricings for sc stickers the other day... pretty steep Icon_sad
Phokus Wrote:I was looking into pricings for SC stickers the other day... pretty steep Icon_sad

I know a couple of people
I'll check it out

Smile
stickers - http://www.marshlabels.co.uk

Stacks
i dunno about you guys but my house bag looks like this [Image: Marijuana_Bag02.jpg]
http://www.shoeboxradio.com

fanu Wrote:u just dont have the balls to take the responsibilty for what you said and face the consequences.
Hahaha

mine is a bit greener than that, but yeah, not too dissimilar........ Xyxthumbs :spark
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.