Sick Q-Bert video over at DOA--->

18 Replies, 4756 Views

the thread

sickness... check the turntable drumming at the end.
yeh Q bert is a badman, Dmc should be good this year anyone one going?

http://www.dmcworld.com
Cheers man, I love q-bert so much !! Hey fracture have you seen the wave twisters film ? It's the nuts.

That Qfo turntable looks wierd Eek
Cool
I just can't find anything about turntablism to get excited about... is there supposed to be any substance to the music, or is the whole idea just to be technically amazing?
Technically amazing Ben.

I can't stand turntable elements in drum & bass. Fuck off and leave it alone, we want to dance like humans not robots!!
UFO_over_easy Wrote:I just can't find anything about turntablism to get excited about... is there supposed to be any substance to the music, or is the whole idea just to be technically amazing?

both.

true its very geeky... but when you are seeing it live and the 808s are booming, it has a very different impact.
UFO_over_easy Wrote:I just can't find anything about turntablism to get excited about... is there supposed to be any substance to the music, or is the whole idea just to be technically amazing?

I agree, sometimes it can be just about being better than the next guy. Which is why i hate things like the stupid battle competitions ect. Sometimes it does just go up its own arse. But listening to Q-bert just jamming freestyle and improvising on the spot is incredible.
Cool
Big ups frax, will check.
DJFracture Wrote:

both.

true its very geeky... but when you are seeing it live and the 808s are booming, it has a very different impact.

I should try and check it out some time Smile It's good to go and see something that you don't really know anything about once in a while.
I have been in to dmc and itf for about 5 years , Theres nothing geeky about it for the spectator, I to scratch a bit as well, (not in public) but the vibe at the battles is wicked and these people put some serious time and effort into what they do with 2 decks and a mixer, they deserve props man, All the turntablists I know are 100% in it for the love of hiphop not to act like some "BIG I AM" I have never met less up there own ass people.

Tigerstyle & skully are good examples of this
that qfo is some fucked up business-he was working with it on the scratch tour and it's just weird to look at. at one point he sat down in a chair and just had it on his knee, like he was playing a sqeezebox or something. it was like a turntable as folk instrument...very strange.
SKRUB AUDIO UPDATED 5/2009 SMP 48-WHAT MUSIC?-Late Spring '09 Mix
seanie mack Wrote:that qfo is some fucked up business-he was working with it on the scratch tour and it's just weird to look at. at one point he sat down in a chair and just had it on his knee, like he was playing a sqeezebox or something. it was like a turntable as folk instrument...very strange.

Icon_eek

Bad !!!
Cool
ufo_over_easy Wrote:i should try and check it out some time Smile it's good to go and see something that you don't really know anything about once in a while.
two words: kid koala

his records will change your opinion of turntablism

his live shows even more Yes
yeah, kid koala does crazy melodic scratching with expression pedals and all sorts of goodies hooked into the decks...it's really cool, and musical. it's neet to hear him with a band or something where he's like another player, as opposed to the one man army thing....but both are wikked in their own way.
i appreciate the abstract/deconstructionist nature of it, but some of it gets a little chinstrokey for me. like dj krush tho-subtle, melodic, feeling, technicality-it's all there.
SKRUB AUDIO UPDATED 5/2009 SMP 48-WHAT MUSIC?-Late Spring '09 Mix
Well, I do like Krush, Kid Koala, Shadow and all those guys who I know are turntablists, but they don't have this kind of stuff that Q-Bert is doing on any of those records really Baffled
aiight dloading

recently saw the scratch documentary.......cool stuff Cool

i love seeing devoted people do their best......
dodz Wrote:yeah, kid koala does crazy melodic scratching with expression pedals and all sorts of goodies hooked into the decks...it's really cool, and musical. it's neet to hear him with a band or something where he's like another player, as opposed to the one man army thing....but both are wikked in their own way.
i don't think Kid Koala uses anything other than two decks and a mixer. at least, not in the five or so times i've seen him. all the crazy sounds he gets are straight from his records and his bare hands! he's part of a band too, Bullfrog. they do sort of funk and hip-hop styled tunes.

as for Koala vs. Q-Bert ... well ... the latter is actually far more conventional as far as using the turntable like a "real" instrument. i was going to write this piece comparing Wave Twisters to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome because it struck me that Q-Bert was consciously deconstructing skratch samples into riff- and note-like patterns, whereas Koala treads the line between mixing and scratching. i also find that it's much easier to enjoy Q-Bert's music if you have an idea of what he's doing, whereas with Koala it honestly doesn't matter. so i don't think it's that Q-Bert is doing "more" stuff so much as he's doing it more "normally", and in turn has a harder time translating his music to a larger audience (since, you know, it's turntables and all the sounds are purely textural).

check out dj disk in herbie hancock's future 2 future dvd...highly recommended dvd!!!

also gunkhole is a band conisting of ace(live drummer) d-styles (formerly of isp) , nicks, and mike boogie...

these guys are the most talented scratch artists at the moment.

you gotta develop an ear for listening to it...there's a lot of good material out there...its just extremely underground.
The Human Abstract

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RIP Bert Jansch Statto 2 759 7th October 2011, 14:03
Last Post: Statto
Oh well Any budding video producers here? WIN £500 of Addict Kit - Kmag Bungle Video Comp. rachelknowledge 0 2,832 15th August 2011, 12:24
Last Post: rachelknowledge
  sick or sick in tha head MetaLX 0 1,213 19th November 2009, 04:59
Last Post: MetaLX
  New QOTSA video - SICK SICK SICK strike 14 4,535 6th September 2008, 18:13
Last Post: cube
  Ernie and Bert go BRUTAL bobule 5 1,295 26th January 2008, 11:07
Last Post: noisemonkey