arrived this morning...

23 Replies, 3234 Views

breakage - disco 45 (vip remix) / naphta - one squeeze vs out of time (zero tolerance remix)
equinox - stagger / ital lion tuff head

Icon_yippee Drums [Image: dance.gif] Falcon

one general request though...

please, no more ragga samples anyone
these are getting mighty tired Yawn
statto Wrote:one general request though...

Xyxthumbs

yes indeed! damm i lost count of those dub influenced (on various tunes i even can't say this...) d&b.
boring boring boring...70% it's just a sample of a reggae or dub tune throwed over a beat. not cool.

let's make a list?

well...breakage and digital of course
calibre
mist
chris su
cyantific
who else jump into the dub bandwagon...
I think the blackboard jungle sample on Stagger works very well - important part of the tune imo. Two important, amazing tracks.

But yes logic tape delay has been getting rinsed lately Lol
to me this is a bit like the 'to amen or not to amen question' .... its nothing original but i'll never tire of hearing it done well ... allthough there are a lot of fillers in this genre now - like the new thing on chronic which was pretty disappointing ....

i can't wait for 'prophecy' and 'long time' and 'bless me' by f+n ...
agreed the whole dub thing could be taken a lot deeper than just throwing a jah sample over an amen tho ... some of the early digital stuff was along the lines of where it could go ..
Yeah agree. I think if people would take to the next step it would keep it fresh but too many are just ripping a vocal or guitar add a bit of delay phaser and wacking it in. It seems that you kind of get 2 types the amen sort of track or the roller. I would prefer it if artists just included a few elements along side other influences or actually started to recreate the proper reggae/dub effects and techniques....Im really happy that the whole dub influenced DnB has resurfaced over the last year or so but a lot now is starting to sound formulated and tired with a lot of artists jumping on the bandwagon....

BTW I love stagger to the bone.
dee bee one Wrote:agreed the whole dub thing could be taken a lot deeper than just throwing a jah sample over an amen tho ... some of the early digital stuff was along the lines of where it could go ..

yes, tex 97, lower depths.

there is a difference between using dub techniques and sampling king tubby tunes.

p.s this is not a hating thread, i love the style when it is done well a la red lights Xyxthumbs
Logos Wrote:Lower Depths

is that the one on the box set?? that was the one i was thinking of .. and a track he did called 'wrench' which came out on timeless and is probably one of the best things he's ever done ...

there's definitely alot that can be done with the whole vibe ... imho amit is leading the way ..

def not a hating thread tho .... i think the remarc set at planet mu proved how good an hour of straight up amen and ragga samples can sound ....
dee bee one Wrote:
Logos Wrote:Lower Depths

is that the one on the box set?? that was the one i was thinking of .. and a track he did called 'wrench' which came out on timeless and is probably one of the best things he's ever done ...

No, Photek Productions 002 I think. I have the Wrench 12" - there is a roller on one side with these nice stabs and a nice bassline, quite good.

But the real treat is the other side - track called Delay. Actually it sounds like it was done in the same session as Lower Depths, and imo Lower Depths is the best of the bunch from this period of Digital productions. But Tex and Delay come close.
Delay was the first release when Timeless changed cat. numbers..

Bad tune!
Logos Wrote:But the real treat is the other side - track called Delay. Actually it sounds like it was done in the same session as Lower Depths

sorry that was the one i meant ... kind of bleak atmospherics and razor sharp beats? ... ur right very similar production to lower depths ..

i really like the one on the metalheadz box set as well .... quite a different vibe but a really big sound and cavernous bass ..

the track digital did on the modus operandi remix album is wicked too ..
Logos Wrote:But the real treat is the other side - track called Delay. Actually it sounds like it was done in the same session as Lower Depths, and imo Lower Depths is the best of the bunch from this period of Digital productions. But Tex and Delay come close.

Delay is superb
probably the best thing Digital's ever done

Blue
MORE RAGGA!!!
ufo_over_easy Wrote:more ragga!!!
Yes
cant wait to have stagga and ... tuff head ....i love the upsetters sample in stagga !!!!!!!!
AO can flex some dubwise muscles too!!
Statto Wrote:one general request though...

I like the ragga samples. I just wish they wouldn't use the same old stuff... oh and stop being so cliché about it too. I want to hear the riddims too... That'd be awesome.

Easy,
Nick (Long time Volcano Sound System follower Smile
I hope it doesnt become too much of a bandwagon thing then it will die...

in a spirit interview he talked about people jumping on the oldskool revival bandwagon and killing it...

imagine it becoming so cliche the good producers having to stop Icon_evil

in other news amit is working with bill laswell, herbie hancock Twisted :P
send fi de hacksaw[Image: archangel-michael-holy-card.jpg]
dj_obiwan Wrote:I hope it doesnt become too much of a bandwagon thing then it will die...

in a spirit interview he talked about people jumping on the oldskool revival bandwagon and killing it...

imagine it becoming so cliche the good producers having to stop Icon_evil

Yeah, that'd be very bad. Well, I don't see it as an old school revival really. The vibe is different, the feelings are different. The whole attitude is different now. I think anybody trying to recreate "the good old days" is going to fail. I personally think history has taught us, it's something that shouldn't be done as anything other than a novelty (I'm thinking of britpop trying to copy the 60s. It doesn't work for me and misses the point entirely by and large IMHO).

Later,
Nick Smile
here is what i mean i think u misunderstand me Cool

Quote:Still, it happened with the 'old skool' thing too. Final Chapter, Phantom Force, Remote Control, it wasn't about being old skool. It was about an old skool vibe but up to date music, mixing old and new. Then it became an excuse for other people to sample every old skool riff they could find and kill it.

http://www.lowerdepths.com/interviews/spirit1103.php
Quote:still, it happened with the 'old skool' thing too. final chapter, phantom force, remote control, it wasn't about being old skool. it was about an old skool vibe but up to date music, mixing old and new. then it became an excuse for other people to sample every old skool riff they could find and kill it.

final chapter isn't old school
it's rave music but it's looking forward not backwards

Falcon
statto Wrote:
Quote:still, it happened with the 'old skool' thing too. final chapter, phantom force, remote control, it wasn't about being old skool. it was about an old skool vibe but up to date music, mixing old and new. then it became an excuse for other people to sample every old skool riff they could find and kill it.

final chapter isn't old school
it's rave music but it's looking forward not backwards

Falcon

Kisskiss
Statto Wrote:Delay is superb
yep.

nice quote from spirit too Grin
pacific Wrote:I want to hear the riddims too... That'd be awesome.

Smile

yeah!.. Eek

that 'd be it!
that also takes guts to do tho mind u!

which brings us to the next question: are producers really doing what what they feel like doing??

it's like half the pleasure..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my new coat just arrived Statto 11 2,245 16th January 2013, 08:27
Last Post: dionysus
  woohoo...my free sony bravia has just arrived! dj hades 8 1,569 25th August 2009, 20:57
Last Post: MetaLX
  Subtle Audio Vol I CD's just arrived Code 47 5,680 20th May 2008, 05:57
Last Post: MetaLX
  Slint ticket arrived Ashes 7 1,495 9th August 2007, 09:11
Last Post: Kontra
  TPs for Stuart Haxton - Miss Sunrise (F+N RMX) arrived DJFracture 20 3,903 1st October 2006, 12:16
Last Post: clinton