Create an account

[-]
Tags
more grime

Thread Contributor: *More Grime

Found this @ ghettopostage :

Quote:Roll Deep Show - DJ Karnage w/ D Double E, Footsie, Wiley

This set was taped off of RINSE FM 100.3 last week. Everyone totally on point, especially Karnage whose mixing skills are getting exponentially better. Wiley coming with some great new bars. D Double always showing himself to the most startingly original MC in the game. Top notch stuff. The scene seems to really be picking up. RAW BLAZE is back on, the ruff squad set last night was totally on point. Big tings a g'wan.

posted by luca lucarini at 1:49 PM 0 comments

Don't bother if you don't like MCs, though.

Wicked thanks mate Wink

* Wrote:don't bother if you don't like mcs, though.

i like mcs. i don't like grime mcs though No

might have a listen out of curiousity later Xyxthumbs
[Image: pezholiodoa.gif]

batfink Wrote:bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK NORK NORK bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK bwabba NORK.

word up that's my blog dudes. i'll be posting tons of audio so the grime masive should check back once in a while

got it this morning, finally listening now ... damn some of these riddims are DARK. i love those icy synths (are they Wiley's?), they always make me think of Metroid....

i also dig the springy snares ... feels like the percussive equivalent of getting flicked off the ground by a giant finger.

captain easychord Wrote:word up that's my blog dudes. i'll be posting tons of audio so the grime masive should check back once in a while

thanks for the set ! Xyxthumbs
looking forward to more of this.

pez Wrote:
* Wrote:don't bother if you don't like mcs, though.

i like mcs. i don't like grime mcs though No

what puts you off grime mcs in particular ?
i don't want to start an argument, just curious. Wink

* Wrote:I don't want to start an argument, just curious. Wink

In this mix, (IMHO of course...) the MCing is arhythmic, doesn't make any sense, doesn't flow, and is basically dross.

I quite like the beats, but I really can't find anything special about them...

UFO_over_easy Wrote:arhythmic, doesn't make any sense

Disagree there man Wink

Logos Wrote:
UFO_over_easy Wrote:arhythmic, doesn't make any sense

Disagree there man Wink

Different strokes rudebwoy respeck an' ting gwarn blah blah...

IT'S ALL GOOD.

SHUT UP UFO!

Icon_eek

Teef

That's what they all say...

* Wrote:What puts you off grime MCs in particular ?
I don't want to start an argument, just curious. Wink

Not feeling the flow, rhyme schemes a bit stupid (rhyming the same word with the same word? Please!), the won't shut up and they dominate the music (I know a lot of grime is more about the MCs than eveything else, but it represents one of the things that piss me off about the 'mainstream' drum and bass scene)

I dunno, maybe I need to listen to a bit more.......
[Image: pezholiodoa.gif]

batfink Wrote:bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK NORK NORK bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK bwabba NORK.

i love the indulgence and angularity of grime emceeing (rhyming over the same word for a long time is its own skill, no one calls out Busta Rhymes for doing it) ... the closest hip-hop parallels i can think of are triple-time Dirty South rhyming and early Souls of Mischief. i love the 'words overflowing' aspect of it. and within the context of grime rhythms, the stop-start flows make sense. when the same emcees rhyme over standard hip-hop rhythms on mixtapes, they actually start to "flow" from a hip-hop standpoint. but i doubt Rakim or Jay-Z would be able to match them over any of their own beats.

i think the main thing that sets grime emceeing apart from dnb emceeing, besides the format, is that grime emcees are taking part in a constant dialogue, whereas dnb emcees are in a vacuum, yelling out at the audience instead of at each other (which makes their rhymes seem a bit pointless in comparison).

evergreen Wrote:no one calls out Busta Rhymes for doing it) ...

well, ok, I'll do it now - I CALL YOU OUT, BUSTA RHYMES!

Quote:the closest hip-hop parallels i can think of are triple-time Dirty South rhyming and early Souls of Mischief.

Souls of Mischief don't sound retarded though Grin

I'm being fatuous, but you don't care, and nor do I. Rock.

actually, that dj /rupture mix shows it off pretty well -- he mixes a Dirty South acapella over Forward Riddim, and the flows sound a bit flat over the track. but when the grime emcees come in the snares and strings feel a LOT deadlier all of a sudden.

Drums <---- this guy couldn't do it

wiley is cool. kano is not my bag at all, and i don't get what the big deal is about him in the uk.

ken Wrote:wiley is cool. kano is not my bag at all, and i don't get what the big deal is about him in the uk.

Yeah Wiley is good - he's quite calm and collected, and some of his rhymes sound odd at first (same word stuff) but he grows on you and you realise his bars are more complicated than they seem. Trim is good, and very funny sometimes too (e.g. "I sleep in hooded jim jams" Lol)

Yeah everyone seems to love Kano, not sure why, though he has a big track out at the moment - Ps & Qs - (which sounds a bit like one of Ludacris's productions) so maybe everyone is hyped about that.

Anyway good comments evergreen. I genuinely think there are a lot of very good grime MCs out there, who are really articulate and clever, and I don't think you can compare them to dnb MCs really as they are operating in radically different contexts, proper soundclashes being one of them. For me the handful of really good dnb MCs (we all know who they are) let the music breathe and complement the flow of a night, grime MCs don't really have to do that. in the same way.

Logos Wrote:complement the flow of a night, grime MCs don't really have to do that. in the same way.
or maybe the contrary? i hear grime emcees consistently ruin the very events they're headlining because fights always break out onstage Hahaha Baffled

re: Kano, he's a ladies man! people call him the UK's Jay-Z and i think that is very apt. i love his guest spot on the Wiley album, he actually has the optimism (or is it calculated naivete) of an old-school hip-hop emcee.

yea ito me grime mcing sounds more like dancehall or double time hiphop raps than dnb

some of the mc s need to seriously chill tho..its just music!

evergreen Wrote:or maybe the contrary? i hear grime emcees consistently ruin the very events they're headlining because fights always break out onstage Hahaha Baffled

He he yeah but I swear most of those beefs are made up, kids follow who slewed who like its a soap opera or something Hahaha like WWF or something.

In really heavy grime dances like eski or sidewinder the rewinds happens as much for a mad lyric as a heavy tune...Hahaha

Forum software by © MyBB Theme © iAndrew 2016