Obscure countries with wicked music...

43 Replies, 10383 Views

I just checked out Armenian music, fucken rocks! It's got some cool classical choral styles and kind of a bit of a Turkish persian flavour. I knew that Armenian music was unique but I never thought that it would be so pleasant.

Smile

Still keeping the flag up for Indian music though. Smile Smile
[Image: mantis.jpg]
did you check it online? if so where ? Grin
i heard a bulgarian choir recently, it sounded like the title-theme from "ghost in the shell". well eerie and sinister.

still trying to track it down, awesome stuff.
Well I dunno if Brazil is a obscure country, but it has SO MUCH MORE styles and rythms then Bossa Nova...

Stuff like Chachado, Baião de Dois, Forró, Pifanos....

I love were I live Cool
The Gambia

[Image: 23_the_gambia_cover.jpg]
united kingdom
Russian ethnic chants in ancient russian:

http://www.ethnolife.ru/mp3/volga-grushitsa.mp3 - this one is an electronic project with the kind of chanting.

Lovely.

Peace,
Kaarel

: )

Edit: So I vote for Russia! : )
fucoza Wrote:So I vote for Russia! : )
Yeah, extremely obscure country Hahaha
[Image: outside.gif]
Lata Wrote:Still keeping the flag up for Indian music though. Smile Smile

Hit me with some recommended Indian Music dude!! I'm well into the heavy raga action, when they work over a riff for AAAAGGGEEESSSS. Preferably with some heavy Tabla action....I know pretty much fuck all about names and the like tho, so please, anyone, enlighten me...
probably the most famous tabla players are alla rakha and his son zakir hussain... amazing

a flute player worth checking is hariprasad chaurasia..hes one of those magical people who you listen to for a while and reallly are transported somewhere else entirely
dharma one Wrote:probably the most famous tabla players are alla rakha...
saw/heard him playin a few years back. just wicked!
i think it was a festival in austria.
i guess it's not so obscure anymore, but have you ever heard of timba or songo?

-those are but two styles invented by just one innovative, wicked and ageless band.. Los Van Van, of Cuba

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml...ID=7101246

this news article seriously underestimates this band's power... check out the "Llego Van Van" lp for proof
los van van is a great band! seen them live once, rocked the place. too many tourists and hookers though

you heard charanga habanera seti? another great timba band
silent.wolf Wrote:
dharma one Wrote:probably the most famous tabla players are alla rakha...
saw/heard him playin a few years back. just wicked!
i think it was a festival in austria.

yeah man.. i think hes passed away now..never got a chance to seem him play but on records hes just great. when i was like 18 i wanted to go to india to study tabla and classical music, never materialized but i did play them for a few years. one of the most versatile percussion instruments ever invented!
dharma one Wrote:a flute player worth checking is hariprasad chaurasia..hes one of those magical people who you listen to for a while and reallly are transported somewhere else entirely

yes, superb Yes
dharma one Wrote:los van van is a great band! seen them live once, rocked the place. too many tourists and hookers though

you heard charanga habanera seti? another great timba band

yeh..that's another wonderful band, and NG La Banda

Cuba is a mad hothouse of utterly unique and powerful sounds... from west to east, to Changui of Guantanamo the place is shaking with the potent musical spawn of conservatory trained musicians playing almost pure African rhythms and classically inspired abanicos from Spain..

-here in SF we're lucky we got Jesus Diaz y su QBA, playing top quality timba beats almost weekly.. definitely a religious experience
cool man.. ive heard just a little stuff from ng la banda.. another good one is azucar negra u heard them?

speaking of religious experiences, they had these santeria fiestas with drumming and dancing that could go on for days, really intense
dharma one Wrote:cool man.. ive heard just a little stuff from ng la banda.. another good one is azucar negra u heard them?

speaking of religious experiences, they had these santeria fiestas with drumming and dancing that could go on for days, really intense

i haven't heard azucar negra but i've had plenty Lol yeh, i've been to bembes, where the rhythms don't stop and it's wonderful... timba feels relentless in a similar way- the music does descend from bembe, the religious music of Ifa Yoruba, and you'll often hear Jesus Diaz say a prayer to the Orisha at the beginning of a show
I think that it's easy to forget about the Indian music use of voice - Indian music is generally divided into northern (Hindustani) music, and southern (Carnatic) music - the northern is a lot more popular as world music since it has more emphasis on instruments and ragas which can be more appreciated by western listeners?

Carnatic music has a lot more emphasis on voice (the first ever beatboxers!) and it's sadly not really available to a large extent on world CD markets. It would be good to get hold of some interesting vocal indian music, since it is very impressive to listen to. I dunno if I can help with tips though, since Carnatic music is pretty alien to my since I am from the north (but I am off to India soon and I'm hoping to check out the south for the first time!!!)

But as far as Hindi music is concerned, the aforementioned artists are enchanting to listen to, as are the Qwalis (which were made famous by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - soulseek him and there are hundreds of tracks). If you want to just get bits and pieces of samples to chop, then Bollywood soundtracks are useful since they often have clean intrument solos in the tunes and clean vocals. Smile

Let me know if you would like more help - I only listen to bhangra and Partha Chatterji, Ravi Shankar etc. which I think is pretty common in UK record shops?
[Image: mantis.jpg]
Lata Wrote:Let me know if you would like more help - I only listen to bhangra and Partha Chatterji, Ravi Shankar etc. which I think is pretty common in UK record shops?

cheers dude, it's the hindustani stuff I like (I think). I got some of Nusrat's Fateh Ali Khan off Naphta too, I like it but I prefer staight up Tabla / Sitar workouts...

cheers,
Ross
Jamaica

Has this great form of folk music called Reggae

Spliffingly good stuff!!!
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D
Don Rosco Wrote:cheers dude, it's the hindustani stuff I like (I think). I got some of Nusrat's Fateh Ali Khan off Naphta too, I like it but I prefer staight up Tabla / Sitar workouts...

cheers,
Ross

Then GIVE IT BACK yooooo kaaaaaannnnnnntttt!!!!!! Wack
dont listen to greek music Twisted
[Image: 3850.jpg]
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Mbuti%20Pygm...age=tracks

EVERYBODY... buy this!!!!

It's fucking AMAZING!!!! Icon_eek Icon_eek Icon_eek

Pygmies sing along with the Jungle insects! Icon_eek Pygmie-women make rhythms with the river-water! Icon_eek Unbelieveably gorgeous vocal harmonies! Icon_eek
where's my finnish accordion music?

Grumble

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Honda Commercial using M Beat /General Levy's "Wicked" firefinga 0 1,816 27th September 2015, 19:43
Last Post: firefinga
  Skunkassociation's Youtube Channel - Something for the obscure Oldschool Heads firefinga 0 1,651 4th April 2015, 10:41
Last Post: firefinga
  Wicked response on the paradox signed bits pacific 1 1,233 4th June 2011, 08:53
Last Post: Statto
  Obscure Foreign Musical Instruments Lata 31 9,521 2nd November 2010, 15:05
Last Post: SHIFT
  Wicked Jah Shakka Video pressure. 8 2,839 28th April 2009, 20:40
Last Post: MetaLX