Help Needed with midi(-patchbay)

6 Replies, 665 Views

Anybody ever heard of Midiquest XL by SoundQuest?
It's software to control your outboard hardware like synths, drummachines, fx, samplers etc from within your pc.
The XL version of the software allows it to be used as a VST which means you can/could program all your external gear from within your favorite sequencer or whatever. Very nice stuff!! External processing power!!.
A must-have for me! I would recommend it to anyone who still likes to use hardware or people who have almost lost interest in their hardware because of the visual advantage in pc's and are just letting it dust away.

Will i'm testing this software and i notice not all the midi messages get transmitted from one machine to another. That's because when chaining via the outs some messages are filtered out and only data being generated by the machine gets forwarded to the out. I need the outs because MidiQuest demands back and forth communication (both midi in and out connected). Could use the Thru's to chain though.
Since i haven't got a merger fot the outs, problem!

Some data just gets filtered and some not. I've looked in all the manuals for midi settings and stuff, but it just doesn't work.

It would seem to me that a merger or patchbay (which has a merger built in standard right?) would solve this problem at once. But looking at the number of inputs/ouputs (at least 6) that have to be merged, i think it would be best to get a midi patchbay, right?

I've seen some nice ones like an Edirol UM-880 which features some nice modern functions like USB and so on. I haven't tried it out yet, i've just been gathering info. There's also a MOTU which seems very good at the job. But both units are kinda like expensive.

Here's the actual question:
Are there any people who can recommend a (preferably 19" and with merger) model/brand? For example an older model which simply does what it should do and that's that. No more fancy stuff which could hold modern day bugs and similar Grin
Just good oldgear that has proven it's name and functions.

Or maybe some alternative i haven't thought of or know of?
[Image: breaxploitation.gif]
Nobody??
Isn't there anyone who uses a midi patchbay?
nomical Wrote:nobody??
isn't there anyone who uses a midi patchbay?

studio crew will be back in tomorrow

Xyxthumbs
Bump
Sorry, never used a midi patchbay...........

I am assuming a 2x2 midisport doesn't count Hahaha Oops
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
im using a steinberg midex 8? dont know if it helps????

8 in 8 out midi interface????????

powered via usb solid as a rock and i havent had to touch it....

200 and somthing quid...

if thats what ur talking about???? Baffled
I won a simple on ebay. It's a Motu Micro Express half 19" 6 out/4 in patchbay, but the old version without USB. Instead with serial/parallel. I'll just see where that gets me before getting anything new which i have to pay for more for. I think it's good enough for what i want to do at the moment.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice needed on Monitors & Midi controllers Subkulture 5 2,868 7th March 2004, 19:44
Last Post: d-vice