Create an account

[-]
Tags
to interest books of underground users resistance

Thread Contributor: _cformbooks of interest to underground resistance users

the underground resistance books of note.

the rules:
1 the following details must be included (so it makes it easy to find the books in your local library, or online or wherever)
title, author, publisher, asin/isdn number, and a mini review preferably by you. nothing big, just why you like it and why you think others might like it. also you might like to list similar books of interest in the particular genre.
2 there may be further rules as i think of them. oh yeah, um i will check the books posted to make sure they are still available. no point in recomending a book nobody can buy y'know.
3 i would prefer not to promote amazon, if you have other sites to use please supply them with reviews.

once the list gets a bit bigger, i might split it up into areas of specific interest. thanks to scope for providing a layout that looks nice.

title: deep cover
author(s): michael levine
publisher: iuniverse publishing services; 1st edition (february 1, 2000)
isbn: 0595092640
cover:
[Image: 0595092640.01._pe_pidp-schmoo2,topright,...zzzzz_.jpg]
mini review:
book description
deep cover, a new york times non-fiction bestseller, is a first-hand account of how the cia, state and justice departments teamed up to destroy a dea undercover sting operation that threatened to expose us government ties to drug-financed governments in mexico, panama and bolivia. written by michael levine, the man 60 minutes called "america's top undercover cop."

about the author
michael levine, the host of the expert witness radio show, is a 25-year veteran of the drug enforcement administration and one of its most highly decorated officers. as an author his books include the community anti-drug plan fight back and fact-based fiction triangle of death, with laura kavanau.

link to buy: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0595092640/ref=pm_dp_ln_b_6/104-6772266-8868717?v=glance&s=books&n=507846&vi=reviews
submitted by: evol intenter[/quote]

title: the paperclip conspiracy - the hunt for the nazi scientists
author(s): tom bower
publisher: little brown
asin: 0-316-10399-3
cover:
[Image: paperclip.gif]
mini review: documents the plundering of the third reichs scientific achievements by the allies, and the discrete export to the us of the nazi scientific elite.
link to buy: uh, i got my copy at the local 2nd hand joint, but it can't be that hard to find.
submitted by: sjef

title: the spanish anarchists: the heroic years 1868 to 1936
author(s): murray bookchin
publisher: ak press
asin: 187317604x
cover: [Image: akcat_3041.jpg]
mini review: a very fine book about the spanish anarchists from the very beginning up to the spanish civil war. though bookchin cannot hide his sympathy towards the anarchists the book remains correct on the historical facts as far as i can tell.
this book is good historical reading and generally considered one of the finest books on the topic.
link to buy: ak distribution

submitted by: cp_ffm

author(s): various
publisher: acab press, london, 1990
asin: none
cover: [Image: akcat_2300.jpg]
mini review: several eyewitness accounts of the trafalgar square riots on 31st march 1990. this 70 pages pamphlet is good, entertaining reading and clearly shows that people have power. it was fun reading just several months after the riots while staying in london. :d

link to buy: http://www.akuk.com/mainpage.php?thissub=21

submitted by: cp_ffm

title: afghanistan: soviet vietnam
author(s): vladislav tamarov & naomi marcus (translator)
publisher: mercury house; (may 1992)
asin: 1562790218
cover:
[Image: qffs+v35lereus0ufjmajnz2djaprasipbt43y2f...39b4oiwxnk]
mini review: this book offers an amazing insite into what the soviet war in afghanistan actually meant to the thousands of young russian boys that went there. it contains a small essay covering personal experiences from the draft to a meeting with american vietnam veterans years later. vladislav tamarov was a photography student at university in lenningrad until he was drafted into the army in 1985. he became part of an elite paratrooper company that spent long periods on deep patrols. being a photography student, he took his camera, and the results are what the book is really about. amazing personal images of every part of life in afghanistan... from the sadness of loosing a friend to the elation of returning alive. and the ultimate emptiness of leaving the warzone. the images in the book won vladislav several awards after the war - after which he completely left photography.

link to buy: here

submitted by: _cform

title: no logo: no space, no choice, no jobs
author(s): naomi klein
publisher: picador; (april 2002)
isbn: 0312421435
cover:
[Image: mgdu3etgarg]
mini review: "resistance is growing, and the backlash against the brands has set in. street-level education programs have taught kids in the inner cities, for example, not only about nike's abusive labor practices but about the astronomical markup in their prices. boycotts have commenced: as one urban teen put it, "nike, we made you. we can break you." but there's more to the revolution, as klein optimistically recounts: "ethical shareholders, culture jammers, street reclaimers, mcunion organizers, human-rights hacktivists, school-logo fighters and internet corporate watchdogs are at the early stages of demanding a citizen-centered alternative to the international rule of the brands ... as global, and as capable of coordinated action, as the multinational corporations it seeks to subvert." no logo is a comprehensive account of what the global economy has wrought and the actions taking place to thwart it." - amazon.com

link to buy: amazon.com - click here
submitted by: statto

title: the silent takeover: global capitalism and the death of democracy
author(s): noreena hertz
publisher: free press; (june 2002)
isbn: b00008jyq5
cover:
[Image: b00008jyq5.01._pe80_pi_scmzzzzzzz_.jpg]
mini review: cambridge university economist hertz asserts that reagan's and thatcher's brand of free market capitalism has had dire social and political repercussions, although it has triumphed as the dominant world ideology and brought prosperity to many. she sensibly argues that with government in retreat from its traditional rule-setter role, multinational corporations have grown so powerful 51 of the hundred biggest economies in the world are corporations that they determine political policies rather than operate subject to them. market success may rule, but hertz laments that the state, in appearing to serve business, may be nullifying democracy's social contract to represent and protect the rights of all citizens equally. wto protests and activism reinforce her sense of growing political discontent not only about income distribution effects (97% of the increase in income over the past 20 years in the u.s. has gone to the top 20% of the families) but also about human rights issues. campaign finance realities, declining voter participation, increasing alienation and terrorism amid glowing corporate results represent an urgent cry for reform to hertz. since corporations are not designed and cannot be expected to serve a general population's social and political needs, she argues that democracies need to move toward a realignment between the state's political power and the corporations' economic power so that all people have a positive stake in world economic progress. hertz maps out a proposed agenda, and her eloquent call to action deserves the attention of every concerned citizen of our troubled world. - publishers weekly

link to buy: amazon.com, click here to buy
submitted by: statto

title: fast food nation
author(s): eric schlosser
publisher: houghton mifflin
isbn: 0395977894
cover:
[Image: book_schlosser.jpg]
mini review: ‘fast food nation has lifted the polystyrene lid on the global fast food industry … it could even change the way we eat’ observer

‘not only will it make you think twice before eating your next hamburger … it will also make you think about the fallout that the fast food industry has had on the social and cultural landscape’ the new york times

‘the grisliest description of fast food ever written’ daily telegraph

‘if the idea of a three-storey, illuminated ronald mcdonald strikes you as a blight on the landscape, this book is for you’ globe and mail

link to buy: amazon.com - click here to buy

coming soon:

george monbiot - captive state
michael moore - stupid white men
what's so great about america -- dinesh d'souza
letters to a young conservative -- dinesh d'souza
slander: liberal lies about the american right -- anne coulter
voltaire's bastards - john raulston saul
guns, germs and steel - jared diamond
highly recommended, discusses why europe and the west became the dominant cultural group over the past 10 000+ years, by comparing to other major groups in the world.
heroes, and hidden agendas, by john pilger
september 11th, noam chomsky
what's so great about america -- dinesh d'souza
letters to a young conservative -- dinesh d'souza
slander: liberal lies about the american right -- anne coulter
the world we are in - will hutton
twentieth century america - a peoples history - howard zinn

the commercial reviews here are all good, but i would like your reviews if possible

please quote this post when replying to this thread

TITLE: INSERT TITLE HERE
AUTHOR(S): INSERT AUTHOR HERE
PUBLISHER: INSERT PUBLISHER HERE
ASIN: INSERT ASIN # HERE
COVER: INSERT IMAGE LINK HERE
MINI REVIEW: INSERT MINI REVIEW HERE
LINK TO BUY: INSERT LINK TO BUY HERE

SUBMITTED BY: INSERT USERNAME HERE

TITLE: Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
AUTHOR(S): Jared Diamond
PUBLISHER: WW Norton & Co Inc
ASIN: 0393317552
COVER: [Image: 031755.jpg]
MINI REVIEW: Winner of the Pulitzer Prize. In this "artful, informative, and delightful" (William H. McNeill, New York Review of Books) book, Jared Diamond convincingly argues that geographical and environmental factors shaped the modern world. Societies that had had a head start in food production advanced beyond the hunter-gatherer stage, and then developed religion --as well as nasty germs and potent weapons of war --and adventured on sea and land to conquer and decimate preliterate cultures. A major advance in our understanding of human societies, Guns, Germs, and Steel chronicles the way that the modern world came to be and stunningly dismantles racially based theories of human history. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize, the Phi Beta Kappa Award in Science, the Rhone-Poulenc Prize, and the Commonwealth club of California's Gold Medal.

LINK TO BUY: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393317552/103-3355547-1653432?v=glance

SUBMITTED BY: Inta

this book is so pivital in the field of anthro that theyre already using it as a text book in the anthro department at my university. its not full of jargon at all.... anyone can read it, from the anthro student to the total layperspn. i

TITLE: Green Rage
AUTHOR(S): Christopher Manes
PUBLISHER: Back Bay Books
ASIN: 0316545325
MINI REVIEW: An in-depth introduction to the people and philosophies of the radical environmental movement. Covering groups like Earth First, ELF, and more. This book lit my heart on fire.
LINK TO BUY: http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?&imageField.y=0&imageField.x=0&ph=2&cm_re=A*Search+Box*Form&tn=Green+Rage&sts=t
SUBMITTED BY: Howitza
More Time...

TITLE: Perpetual war for perpetual peace
AUTHOR(S): gore vidal
PUBLISHER: nation books
ISBN: 156025405X
COVER: [Image: pwforpp.gif]
MINI REVIEW: Description
The United States has been engaged in what the great historian Charles A. Beard called "perpetual war for perpetual peace." The Federation of American Scientists has catalogued nearly 200 military incursions since 1945 in which the United States has been the aggressor. In a series of penetrating and alarming essays, whose centerpiece is a commentary on the events of September 11, 2001 (deemed too controversial to publish until now) Gore Vidal challenges the comforting consensus following both September 11th and Timothy McVeigh's bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City: these were simply the acts of "evil-doers."

LINK TO BUY: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/156025405X/qid=1094570684/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-3094469-7171232

SUBMITTED BY: Breaker

TITLE: Jihad vs. McWorld - How Globalism and Tribalism are Reshaping the World
AUTHOR(S): Benjamin Barber
PUBLISHER: Ballentine Books
ISBN: 0345383044
COVER: [Image: 0345383044-books-resized200.jpg]
MINI REVIEW: A great analysis on what the author perceives to be the two greatest opposing forces of change in the world today, the ideologies and spread of factional fundamentalism (represented by Jihad) and globalism (represented by McWorld). Barber spends the book dissecting each phenomenom seperatly, contrasts them, and then compares (truly the highlight of the book is seeing how much these two "opposing" forces actually have in common. Though it was written in 1996, much of the observations and analysis are just as relavant today....maybe even more so..

LINK TO BUY: http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?in...45383044-7

SUBMITTED BY: RickyRicardo

oh and btw, this is a wonderful thread. I'm always on the lookout for more reading material, and just from this first page, my wishlist has already become quite full...thx.

howitza Wrote:TITLE: Green Rage
AUTHOR(S): Christopher Manes
PUBLISHER: Back Bay Books
ASIN: 0316545325
MINI REVIEW: An in-depth introduction to the people and philosophies of the radical environmental movement. Covering groups like Earth First, ELF, and more. This book lit my heart on fire.
LINK TO BUY: http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?&imageField.y=0&imageField.x=0&ph=2&cm_re=A*Search+Box*Form&tn=Green+Rage&sts=t
SUBMITTED BY: Howitza

My GF had Diamond as a prof last quarter... she said his class was amazing and eye-opening, but I still haven't read any of his books. Maybe I should get on that...

I know this doesn't follow the "format," but I would recommend any book on here:

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591

Cloak and Dagger Wrote:I know this doesn't follow the "format," but I would recommend any book on here:

yeah, everybody should read "mein kampf" ! Teef

* Wrote:
Cloak and Dagger Wrote:I know this doesn't follow the "format," but I would recommend any book on here:

yeah, everybody should read "mein kampf" ! Teef

why not? i have... Wink

there's a lot of truth in that book...and a lot of lies...and a lot of truth in the lies and a lot of lies in the truth...

[Image: xerx4.gif]

haha i love how much time was spent setting all these rules for the thread and then statto busts out with das smiley =D

Cloak and Dagger Wrote:haha i love how much time was spent setting all these rules for the thread and then statto busts out with das smiley =D

Oops

maybe purge the erroneous posts later Wink

Statto Wrote:
Cloak and Dagger Wrote:haha i love how much time was spent setting all these rules for the thread and then statto busts out with das smiley =D

Oops

maybe purge the erroneous posts later Wink

hmm i dunno....sounds kind FASCIST to me, don't you think? Wink

it's all adding up...

damnit, now i'm just as guilty

TITLE: DiY Culture: Party and Protest in Nineties' Britain
AUTHOR(S): George McKay
PUBLISHER: Verso
ISBN: 1859842607
COVER: [Image: 1859842607.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

MINI REVIEW: This is a collection of in-depth and reflective pieces by activists and other key figures in "DiY culture", who tell their own stories and histories. The book argues that popular protest of the 1990s is characterized by a culture of immediacy and direct action. From the environmentalist to the video activist, the raver to the road protester, the neo-pagan to the anarcho-capitalist, the authors demonstrate how the counterculture of the 1990s offers a positive alternative to insitutionalized unemployment and the restricted freedoms and legislated pleasures.
LINK TO BUY: http://www.amazon.co.uk
SUBMITTED BY: kontra

TITLE: SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE
AUTHOR(S): KURT VONNEGUT

PUBLISHER: LAUREL
ISBN: 0099800209 / 0-09-980020-9 (UK edition)
COVER:
[Image: 0099800209kj8.jpg]

MINI REVIEW:
Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden.
Don't let the ease of reading fool you--Vonnegut's isn't a conventional, or simple, novel. He writes, "There are almost no characters in this story, and almost no dramatic confrontations, because most of the people in it are so sick, and so much the listless playthings of enormous forces. One of the main effects of war, after all, is that people are discouraged from being characters..." Slaughterhouse-Five (taken from the name of the building where the POWs were held) is not only Vonnegut's most powerful book, it is as important as any written since 1945. Like Catch- 22, it fashions the author's experiences in the Second World War into an eloquent and deeply funny plea against butchery in the service of authority. Slaughterhouse-Five boasts the same imagination, humanity, and gleeful appreciation of the absurd found in Vonnegut's other works, but the book's basis in rock-hard, tragic fact gives it a unique poignancy--and humor.

LINK TO BUY:
http://www.amazon.com
http://www.amazon.co.uk

*ALSO, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: "DEADEYE DICK" by VONNEGUT (personal fav...)

It is also worth mentioning the more Vonnegut I've read the more I've understood about his writing as a whole -- several of his characters are in multiple stories - which makes his different stories all kind of part of the same "universe" - they do share at least a minimal connection with each other.

Also he's a big user of historical fiction, so I've learned a bit of history from his books (e.g. learned in Deadeye Dick that Adolf Hitler was once an aspiring artist).

IMHO Chuck Palahnuik (sp?) is kind of our generation's spawn of Vonnegut --- that's not to say they're too much alike...
My far-fetched analogy: I'd say Palahnuik is to Vonnegut as Marilyn Manson is to Ziggy Stardust. The older generation has more depth - more transient moods, and more professional skill --- the newer generation is more locked into producing a practical and capivating product, and really driving home (in a way most ppl can understand) the helplessly dark perspectives that they represent.

I just read the comments Icon_eek

on Marx: Das Kapital ".....Marx theorized that the inevitable eventual outcome would be global proletarian revolution. He could not have predicted 21st Century America: a free, affluent society based on capitalism and representative government that people the world over envy and seek to emulate." Ralph

TITLE: State of Exception
AUTHOR: Giorgio Agamben
PUBLISHER: University Of Chicago Press (January 15, 2005)
ISBN: 0226009254

From the inside flap:

Two months after the attacks of 9/11, the Bush administration, in the midst of what it perceived to be a state of emergency, authorized the indefinite detention of noncitizens suspected of terrorist activities and their subsequent trials by a military commission. Here, distinguished Italian philosopher Giorgio Agamben uses such circumstances to argue that this unusual extension of power, or "state of exception," has historically been an underexamined and powerful strategy that has the potential to transform democracies into totalitarian states.The sequel to Agamben's Homo Sacer: Sovereign Power and Bare Life, State of Exception is the first book to theorize the state of exception in historical and philosophical context. In Agamben's view, the majority of legal scholars and policymakers in Europe as well as the United States have wrongly rejected the necessity of such a theory, claiming instead that the state of exception is a pragmatic question. Agamben argues here that the state of exception, which was meant to be a provisional measure, became in the course of the twentieth century a working paradigm of government. Writing nothing less than the history of the state of exception in its various national contexts throughout Western Europe and the United States, Agamben uses the work of Carl Schmitt as a foil for his reflections as well as that of Derrida, Benjamin, and Arendt.

LINK TO BUY: http://www.amazon.com/State-Exception-Gi...0226009254

this thread is months of fun at the library - appreciated.

TITLE: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
AUTHOR: J.K. Rowling
PUBLISHER: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
ISBN: 0747573611

Editorial Review:

It's hard to fall in love with an earnest, appealing young hero like Harry Potter and then to watch helplessly as he steps into terrible danger! And in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the much anticipated sequel to the award-winning Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, he is in terrible danger indeed. As if it's not bad enough that after a long summer with the horrid Dursleys he is thwarted in his attempts to hop the train to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to begin his second year. But when his only transportation option is a magical flying car, it is just his luck to crash into a valuable (but clearly vexed) Whomping Willow. Still, all this seems like a day in the park compared to what happens that fall within the haunted halls of Hogwarts.

Chilling, malevolent voices whisper from the walls only to Harry, and it seems certain that his classmate Draco Malfoy is out to get him. Soon it's not just Harry who is worried about survival, as dreadful things begin to happen at Hogwarts. The mysteriously gleaming, foot-high words on the wall proclaim, "The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir, Beware." But what exactly does it mean? Harry, Hermione, and Ron do everything that is wizardly possible--including risking their own lives--to solve this 50-year-old, seemingly deadly mystery. This deliciously suspenseful novel is every bit as gripping, imaginative, and creepy as the first; familiar student concerns--fierce rivalry, blush-inducing crushes, pedantic professors--seamlessly intertwine with the bizarre, horrific, fantastical, or just plain funny. Once again, Rowling writes with a combination of wit, whimsy, and a touch of the macabre that will leave readers young and old desperate for the next installment.

LINK TO BUY: http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Chamb...16&sr=8-14

TITLE: Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid
AUTHOR: Jimmy Carter
PUBLISHER: Simon & Schuster
ASIN: 0743285026
COVER: [Image: 6bc8rvd.jpg]
MINI REVIEW: In this book President Carter shares his intimate knowledge of the history of the Middle East and his personal experiences with the principal actors, and he addresses sensitive political issues many American officials avoid. Pulling no punches, Carter prescribes steps that must be taken for the two states to share the Holy Land without the current system of apartheid or the constant fear of terrorism.

The general parameters of a long-term, two-state agreement are well known, the president writes. There will be no substantive and permanent peace for any peoples in this troubled region as long as Israel is violating key U.N. resolutions, official American policy, and the international road-map for peace by occupying Arab lands and oppressing the Palestinians. Except for mutually agreeable negotiated modifications, Israels official pre-1967 borders must be honored. As were all previous administrations since the founding of Israel, U.S. government leaders must be in the forefront of achieving this long-delayed goal of a just agreement that both sides can honor.
LINK TO BUY: http://www.simonsays.com/content/book.cf...pid=522298

SUBMITTED BY: Mujahid

TITLE: CROSSING THE RUBICON: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil
AUTHOR(S): Michael C. Ruppert
PUBLISHER: New Society Publishers
ASIN: 0865715408

COVER: [Image: CrossingTheRubicon.jpg]
MINI REVIEW: Crossing The Rubicon begins with the phenomenon of Peak Oil before detailing the links between US intelligence agencies, the financial sector, the oil industry and the narcotics trade. A history of US affairs in Pakistan and Afghanistan, as well as Saudi Arabia, is also outlined.

A great many foreign intelligence warnings from various countries are shown to have been ignored or not acted upon. Even worse, several FBI investigations that could very likely have prevented the attacks are revealed to have been deliberately thwarted, often by the same Special Supervisory Agent (who was promptly promoted after 9/11).

The book's centrepiece is the middle section, a forensic examination of the day's attacks and the hunt for evidence. A timeline of FAA and NORAD responses to the hijackings is followed by the revelation that multiple wargame exercises on the morning of 9/11 effectively disabled any Air Force response.

Given the myriad omissions by the so-called Independent 9/11 Commission, Crossing The Rubicon is possibly the fullest account of the attacks of September 11 in existence, along with Paul Thompson's 'The Terror Timeline'. While readers might not be convinced by some of the book's tangential subjects, the overall argument of the book wins out. With 1000 footnotes, the research gathered here is unimpeachable, no matter what anyone thinks of Ruppert's conclusions. To have any claim to an informed opinion of 9/11 and its aftermath, one cannot ignore this book.

LINK TO BUY: http://www.amazon.com/Crossing-Rubicon-Decline-American-Empire/dp/0865715408

SUBMITTED BY: Lephrenic

TITLE: This is Reggae Music: The Story of Jamaica's Music
AUTHOR: LLoyd Bradley
PUBLISHER: Grove Press Books
ISBN: 0-8021-3828-4
COVER:
[Image: 2001-22-this-is-reggae-music-the-st.png]

MINI REVIEW: An absolute MUST for true heads! Speaks all about the history of Jamaican Music including, in depth explanations of the first Sound Systems, Djs, Red Stripe and where and how it all began!!

LINK TO BUY: http://www.borders.com/online/store/Titl...0802138284

SUBMITTED BY: Felsuma

hello there Wave

Chin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A few dnb / jungle releases that may be of interest! DIB 47 8,146 24th May 2017, 17:19
Last Post: DIB
  The home of Underground Resistance in Detroit / Techno Museum Code 1 825 18th January 2014, 12:03
Last Post: Statto
  art books - Surrealism lament 12 1,247 18th September 2011, 19:08
Last Post: Annastay
  good books to read!!!! _cform 53 5,549 9th January 2011, 02:32
Last Post: Annastay
  Back order comic books? Annastay 1 497 5th November 2010, 13:46
Last Post: Roo Stercogburn

Forum software by © MyBB Theme © iAndrew 2016