Thelonious Monk...

19 Replies, 1124 Views

A collegue of mine at work bought in for me a Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane CD.
Can you recommend any other Thelonious Monk albums???? Grin
Havent heard any of his work yet, but would like to have a listen to some....
my favorites:

Underground
It's Monk's Time
In Action

You can't go wrong with any of those three in my opinion.
anything with ruby my dear on Lovesmilie

i refer you to this thread for lots of thelonious monk-related chatter! Xyxthumbs
[Image: pezholiodoa.gif]

batfink Wrote:bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK NORK NORK bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK bwabba NORK.
if you can afford them, get the complete Monk on Blue Note and Riverside collections...
straight no chaser Xyxthumbs
seti Wrote:if you can afford them, get the complete monk on blue note and riverside collections...

Yes

careful about buying solo monk though
without a rhythm section anchoring the music he sounds absolutely all over the place
Brilliant Corners
[ last.fm ]
cheers guys, will check some of them out

@pez......very interesting thread!!! Xyxthumbs
yep! straignt no chaser is class!

I have the complete columbia recordings compilation too. some brilliant stuff on there.

I can also reccommend Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers if you lke theolonius monk.
get this :

[Image: thelonious%20monk-criss-cross(180gram).jpg]
i just have a cd called "monk's music" on riverside. it's pretty good. and "ruby, my dear" is definitely a tune and a half.
It's all about his famous 'Round midnight' rendition.. Lovesmilie Lovesmilie

Homerdrool
jmcee Wrote:It's all about his famous 'Round midnight' rendition.. Lovesmilie Lovesmilie

which one?
seeing as he wrote it and everything Smile
thelonious monk

a melodious punk

Xyxthumbs
Statto Wrote:
jmcee Wrote:It's all about his famous 'Round midnight' rendition.. Lovesmilie Lovesmilie

which one?

No idea it's the commonly found one with just double bass backing and no vocals.
jmcee Wrote:
Statto Wrote:

which one?

No idea it's the commonly found one with just double bass backing and no vocals.

Hahaha

that narrows it down!
statto Wrote:
seti Wrote:if you can afford them, get the complete monk on blue note and riverside collections...

Yes

careful about buying solo monk though
without a rhythm section anchoring the music he sounds absolutely all over the place

true... if you must get monk with some killer ensembles get "genius of modern music" vol. 1 or 2... gotta love the stuff with lou donaldson, art blakey, kenny dorham, milt jackson etc.
anything with charlie rouse on sax will do the trick too.....he plays monk tunes better then anyone.
dodz Wrote:he plays monk tunes better then anyone.

I like the session with Gerry Mulligan Smile
statto Wrote:
dodz Wrote:he plays monk tunes better then anyone.

i like the session with gerry mulligan Smile

not much of a mulligan fan. No

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DJ Monk - Deal Wid It / Give Me Some More (K.L.P Records) DIB 1 1,889 21st September 2014, 10:12
Last Post: stemface
  Frontline 6th Oct: DJ Monk/Hopa/Threshold/Voyager/DJ Trax/Teebone/Tim Taylor.. antidote uk 4 2,507 6th October 2013, 12:37
Last Post: antidote uk
  Advice from Thelonious Monk Don Rosco 7 1,405 15th January 2009, 14:49
Last Post: tyranny
  thelonious monk Jason oS 18 2,265 27th February 2008, 23:50
Last Post: Macc
  Kung-Fu Monk-National geographic now! ALPHA OMEGA 0 624 5th March 2007, 21:14
Last Post: ALPHA OMEGA