Gutted (part 2) - bad karma

39 Replies, 2951 Views

i'm feeling gutted. real gutted.

two reasons.

one:
we got wheels rolling for my downtempo lp.
art almost done etc, contacting press already, mastering around the corner, etc.
the label asks me for the list of possible samples used.
i send that to them.
they see the list and are massively surprised - to say the least! - about the amount of samples used and tell me that they thought i was using copyright-free samples to make my music (now i'm really thinking, why wasnt this done before...the album was signed in dec 2004).
they're trying to clear all the samples (in spite of me telling that most of them are safe to use as they cant be associated with anything, but yeah, i do understand playing safe) and that's gonna take a million years and may get so expensive that some, maybe several, tracks will have to be taken off the album in the worst case.
so i'm prepared to see it get delayed big time. i think it's pretty safe to say it's not coming out this year as planned. sorry for saying before that it would. i really thought it wouldve been possible.
just wanna be fair with you.
and, john/dave, if you read this....people just deserve to know, they've been waiting for the album long enough already. i get so many inquiries for the album all the time.
so no unnecessarily bad vibes for you here - just the truth.

two:
my tp on thermal arrives today.
the tune "jason" was done using the wrong wav file.
the "wrong" wav file was a file that skips half a bar + 0.034234-or-something milliseconds at one point, causing an ugly trainwreck to happen if youre beatmatching.
i did provide the very right .wav weeks before the cut tho.
i wish it was my fault.
having a recut would cost loads (dont ask me).
dunno what we're gonna do....i dont want a non-perfect plate to hit the market.

too much unhappy shit for one day....especially as i haven't been feeling that happy lately anyway....delayed payments, delayed everything, and shit, making me unhappy, making me hate the business/releasing side of things - i will never hate the music though.

Thumbd
Icon_eek thats bad man Hugs

Thats fucked, as for the sample thing what sort of samples are used, that would cost a fortune to do it all, is there alot of film ones cause there costly , sometimes impossible to get clearance on
Hugs

fanu Wrote:having a recut would cost loads (dont ask me).

it costs a fair bit, but it's not out of the question
the sc pieter k tracks had to be redone and it cost:
£158.62 — remastering
£158.63 — new preparation / metalwork
total = £317.65

Thumbd but not impossible
i wont say the amount but in thermal's case it'd be more than that....
and i dont have any info on why it'd be like that.
fanu Wrote:i wont say the amount but in thermal's case it'd be more than that....
and i dont have any info on why it'd be like that.

Icon_eek

we weren't paying cheap prices

you sure theirs aren't in dollars? Wink

or is there more than one track per side?
weird
cos if you have to remaster and recut tps to make a bad product good...it will be worht the effort

trust me
i know what im talking about

i have done that for CI002, where Polska provided a new master and I have let a professional premastering studio take care of the .wav's before letting them be pressed again.

it might cost money but its always worth it.

I feel you on the album thing mate....there's not very much you can do about it i guess, it's the labels decision if they want to try and clear em or not....i sure do hope the lp as a 'product' will still stay as it is, its sublime.

ps: you got big cojones :bear: Fanu
1. shouldn't have told them
2. recut wont cost more than what statto said, and besides, it doesnt matter, the cut is fucked.....do it again!
fuck this shit....

cant let negative vibes get the best of me.

i'm off to tweak my Access Virus that arrived today!
elhornet pendulum Wrote:1. shouldn't have told them

yeah well that applies to small pressing for sure - and especially to dnb as no1 in the real world listens to that shit anyways...
ha ha.

but if you're gonna try to promote an album properly, using music critics n whoever at Washington Post or wherever, you can't have too many "hot" samples on it.
and, to be honest, who's responsible if a label gets sued for using the samples or something and u didnt let em try to clear the smpls.....
common sense.

i dunno how much people clear the stuff in general? i'm very interested and ive often been pondering that.
damn, what a suck ass situation!
They should recut it, simple.

As for the LP...I agree with Elhornet. Or the label shouldn't have asked, or at least only gone through the album and found the really obvious samples and asked about them. What did they think they were getting into when they signed your music!?

Sorry that sounds harsh and I know they are only covering themselves but still, who uses copyright free samples Rofl
man. i don't know what to say dude. that's shit Thumbd No all i can say is, just keep at it man, you'll make it one day. Yes

don't worry about my drums and my friends bass, you don't have to clear them Xyxthumbs
[Insert signature here]
whats clearing?

is that the process where you try and pick up all vinyl strewn across your chamber floor? Teef
john doe Wrote:whats clearing?

is that the process where you try and pick up all vinyl strewn across your chamber floor? Teef

Teef
[Insert signature here]
The Thermal situation sucks, but surely it's not unusual to have to remaster and recut a test press. That's why test presses exist in the first place, surely!

As for the downtempo LP, that sounds insane. Isn't it signed to a Vibez sub-label? If it is, they have experience with electronic, sample-based music and must have been expecting this. "What, pardon, you used samples to make this electronic LP? That never happens!!!"
UFO_over_easy Wrote:The Thermal situation sucks, but surely it's not unusual to have to remaster and recut a test press. That's why test presses exist in the first place, surely!

As for the downtempo LP, that sounds insane. Isn't it signed to a Vibez sub-label? If it is, they have experience with electronic, sample-based music and must have been expecting this. "What, pardon, you used samples to make this electronic LP? That never happens!!!"

what u say is not new to me, u dont have to tell me that Kisskiss
i am sure that's not new to the labels either.
.......................(not really your fault though)

you could have tried to wangle that one past them, but i don't really think it's worth the bother if someone decides to sue......

unlucky man..... sorry to hear that..... Thumbd Hugs

suppose you gotta keep pluggin' away at it.......

there's always something getting in the way of gettin' yer music out there eh?

on the other hand.........what did they expect?! Roll
just be patient mang. i'm sure tings will work out just fine. i know it must be frustrating as hell, but hang in there. it'll all pan out in the end. Hugs
that sucks man Icon_sad
nasty bizz Janne. hope it all works out for you!

i want that LP!
stay up janne, shit will work out, the force is strong w/ you...

Xyxthumbs
click the logo below to download mixes,
listen to tracks, contact, and more...

[Image: camo_black02.gif]
fanu Wrote:yeah well that applies to small pressing for sure - and especially to dnb as no1 in the real world listens to that shit anyways...
ha ha.

but if you're gonna try to promote an album properly, using music critics n whoever at Washington Post or wherever, you can't have too many "hot" samples on it.
and, to be honest, who's responsible if a label gets sued for using the samples or something and u didnt let em try to clear the smpls.....
common sense.

i dunno how much people clear the stuff in general? i'm very interested and ive often been pondering that.

Mate... people dont clear SHIT! if someone has cleared a sample it says so on the release... (at least i think it always does)

check RJD2.... ALL samples, nothing on the sleeve about cleared samples.

also check Four Tet... again ALL samples... and not much on any sleeves about clearing.

man you shouldnt have told them. No dis, but Four Tet's LPs sell a lot more that yours will and i think he has only been done for sampling once.

As for the recut... ITS THEIR FAULT... they should cut it again. dont even talk to me about recuts Janne... Colemanism had to be done 3 times
and wasnt it worht it fraccers! Tune!!

Unlucky! Hugs :bear:
Co..Cou...Could you possibly rewind and come again?
DJFracture Wrote:Colemanism had to be done 3 times

damn Icon_eek
Ahh, the heady days of The Colemanism Saga, I miss those Lol

It's all shitty, Janne, but either they should have known (I mean, come ooonnnn!?) about the samples. What were they thinking?

As for the recut, if you positively 100% know for a fact that you provided the correct wave file, then whoever is responmsible for using the wrong one should pay for a recut, end of.

Neutral
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paradox- Play Twice Before Listening. Bad, bad, bad tune Utopian 17 3,332 22nd March 2010, 21:40
Last Post: Jungle Timewarp
  MR WEBB ARE YOU A BAD BAD MAN amon'' 5 775 13th June 2008, 16:19
Last Post: kodini
  MR LAW...YOU ARE A BAD BAD MAN truth agent 18 1,242 13th June 2008, 12:51
Last Post: Law
  [RELEASE] Alpha Omega - Bad Karma (free mp3s!) cycom 46 5,697 3rd March 2008, 20:55
Last Post: X Nation
  I have seen conclusive proof of karma Paradigm X 25 2,797 6th September 2007, 18:48
Last Post: Utopian