Create an account

[-]
Tags
backpackers new attn aussies zealanders

Thread Contributor: arqticAttn New Zealanders / Aussies / Backpackers

since i recently graduated, i'm thinking about going backpacking for a few weeks / months before starting a serious job.
australia and new zealand in particular have cought my eye.
my cousin already travelled through nz and recommended it because youth hostals are numerous in all regions and there are a lot of other backpackers.
the pictures he showed of the places he went were beautiful. i'd ask him for some advice but he lives in a remote town in chili now.
i guess i should start thinking about it quick because summer ends in februari and it could get a bit chilly in fall, even in the northern parts??
so if anyone here can give me some advice on backpacking through australia, new zealand or other general tips, stories, costs, jobs, good / bad experiences, ...
i'd really like to hear it. Xyxthumbs

ohhh why dont you get a working holiday visa?

You could apply for both one year in australia and one year in New zealand at the same time, you will have one year grace to use the new zealand one, you can spend that travelling around australia!

I hung out in Perth for 3 months and loved it, then i ended up hitching across australia in trucks - not really recommended as highly dodgy, but we had no choice as we crashed into a kangaroo and wrecked the radiator of our car after 10 hours on the road, we were in the middel of the bush, an hour outside of norseman when this happened so we ended up getting a lift to dubbo in 80 tonne trucks...we were very lucky that we met decent truck drivers.

Sydney then for 8 months - brilliant dnb scene, great food, great weather, great people, definately worth hangin out there for a little bit of time to soak up the aussie way of life. i felt one year visa wasnt long enough.

Bad experiences - i got mugged coming out of redfern station, they must have thought i was an easy target as was clutching a dainty handbag and wearing high heels and a little dress, they didnt expect me to fight back - couldnt help it instinct kicked in. funny story but was well shaken after the event and quite jumpy for a week or two.

I unfortunately never got to new zealand but had planned to get a year visa before i hit thirty...unfortunately i dont think i will make it -getting too old to come back and start from scratch again. So will have to settle for short trips instead.

go go go and stay for ages - it will be worth it!
Co..Cou...Could you possibly rewind and come again?

jobs are plentiful in Australia. avoid bondi like the plague.

I'm heading out there myself next year - can't wait! Wink

Am landing in Melbourne in January after a couple of days in Hong Kong and then going straight to New Zealand. I'm there for a mate's wedding and then spending about a month trying to see as much of both islands as possible before heading back to Australia via Tasmania, working my way up the East Coast through Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane and Cairns. Well that's the current plan anyway. Flying home via Bangkok and might check out Laos and Cambodia if I have sufficient funds left over.

Getting a working Visa is blatantly the way to go. I am going to take as much spending money as possible but want to make it last and would rather have the option of working and staying longer when the money runs out instead of having to leave once I go skint. You can get a one-year working holiday Visa which is the one I'm going for. Not that long but the only available option.

The beauty of it is I'll be leaving Blighty in the depths of Winter with about half an hour's daylight per day and arriving in sunny Oz and 30 degree heat! Grin

If your doing the touring new zealand business, the stray travel company are who we opted to use and they were great.....

having said that if ye can drive you could always buy a car for about $1000 NZ and drive it......would have done that myself if i had me full licence when i was there (unfortunatly i didnt)

B Wrote:Bad experiences - i got mugged coming out of redfern station, they must have thought i was an easy target as was clutching a dainty handbag and wearing high heels and a little dress, they didnt expect me to fight back - couldnt help it instinct kicked in. funny story but was well shaken after the event and quite jumpy for a week or two.

so you beat him up? Hahaha great!

I'm looking into the working holiday visa thing. I'm planning to work here first for a few months of course but it's a good idea to have the option of working there too I guess.

I know it's hard to say and it all depends on how much you spend, but could somebody say how much they've spent in fi a month, just to have a rough idea...

How are the hostals and transportation?
That's Bondi beach I should be avoiding?

Shaman, seems like one hell of a journey you're about to go on Icon_eek

beckett Wrote:If your doing the touring new zealand business, the stray travel company are who we opted to use and they were great.....

having said that if ye can drive you could always buy a car for about $1000 NZ and drive it......would have done that myself if i had me full licence when i was there (unfortunatly i didnt)

I'm checking out the Stray Travel Company.
Don't know if I can afford buying a car, I'll probably be going alone, know very little of car mechanics so can get scammed easily...

Thanks for all the input subverts!

Keep it coming Icon_yippee

arqtic Wrote:shaman, seems like one hell of a journey you're about to go on Icon_eek

Yes

Sad2 [Image: sadwave.gif]
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.

well I was mugged by two aboriginal girls, luckily a passerby restrained one of them so I only had to kick the shite out of one of them...she still got my handbag as i got paranoid she was going to bite me and i loosened my grip, she ran off, i ran off after her then someone roared ' stop - dont go down there' as i was at the top of everley st in redfern - very dodgy area, so i roared ' im gonna bomb this fuckin place"' Hahaha my adrenaline had well and truly kicked in!

right well i travelled up the east coast for 3 weeks and spent over $1,500 - it can be done cheaper of course. (actually i have a feeling it was 3)

Bondi beach - go there but dont live there - too many irish and english.

artiq ive only met you once, briefly, but from the buzzin you get up to you will want to be gone for two years- go wan get those working holiday visas and before you go get some barwork experience and you will never be stuck for a job!

b Wrote:artiq ive only met you once, briefly

:d have we met? guess you're mistaking me for somebody else,
i live in belgium by the way.

thanks for all the advice Xyxthumbs

dries

oh shite i am - sorry! Hahaha thought i met you at technicality allnighter! Oops

Oops that was artifact i met and not you!

I should lay off amsterdam for a while.

B Wrote:Oops that was artifact i met and not you!

I should lay off amsterdam for a while.

:mutley:

B Wrote:im gonna bomb this fuckin place!

Hahaha

You big Irish terrorist B! Hahaha

Hahaha I was angry.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions for Aussies and cricket fans.... Macc 11 390 14th September 2005, 08:48
Last Post: Unsane
  anybody have any ideas about backpackers in leeds? _cform 2 345 17th June 2005, 10:24
Last Post: Phokus

Forum software by © MyBB Theme © iAndrew 2016