This is why I'm losing interest in drum and bass!

112 Replies, 29577 Views

Sweet christ this is OFF THE FREAKING CHIZZAIN!!!!

I wish I was black so I could get away with saying stuff like that in real life...

I've had this set for weeks and it still tastes delicious Lovesmilie
it's alright Baffled would like to hear more, where would someone get the rest Grin
your really into that stuff ain't ya UFO?
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D
alpha omega Wrote:your really into that stuff ain't ya ufo?

Lovesmilie Yes Lovesmilie

fiasko - that set in full and many others at dubstep.blogspot.com
Stacks says "grime is fine"™
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
Can someone explain to little old me

what's the difference between grime & dubstep?
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D
dubstep is more subtle, and sound more like... well... dub. IE very little in the mix apart from sine-bass.

grime is more over the top and uses more synths and noises and sounds more hectic. think dizzee rascal to use a cliche example.
damn that is cool
I've had this in rotation since it was brought to my attention a month ago.

http://spannered.org/mixes/vexd/vexd_nov11_2005.mp3

Tracklist:

vex'd - bombardment of saturn
vex'd - thunder
vex'd - 3rd choice
toasty - candyfloss (loefah rmx)
loefah - root
skream - traitor
trim n scratch - trim n scratch instrumental
vex'd - venus
wiley - colder rmx
bruza - ave some that
skream - ball forward
vex'd - fire
vex'd - angels
search & destroy - wavescape (vex'd rmx, prototype dubplate bizniz)
vex'd - smart bomb
vex'd - killing floor
toasty - knowledge (vex'd rmx)
vex'd - gunman
distance - traffik
vex'd - lion VIP
remarc - ricky VIP
King Wrote:I've had this in rotation since it was brought to my attention a month ago.

http://spannered.org/mixes/vexd/vexd_nov11_2005.mp3

Tracklist:

vex'd - bombardment of saturn
vex'd - thunder
vex'd - 3rd choice
toasty - candyfloss (loefah rmx)
loefah - root
skream - traitor
trim n scratch - trim n scratch instrumental
vex'd - venus
wiley - colder rmx
bruza - ave some that
skream - ball forward
vex'd - fire
vex'd - angels
search & destroy - wavescape (vex'd rmx, prototype dubplate bizniz)
vex'd - smart bomb
vex'd - killing floor
toasty - knowledge (vex'd rmx)
vex'd - gunman
distance - traffik
vex'd - lion VIP
remarc - ricky VIP

cool-thanx for posting this!
SKRUB AUDIO UPDATED 5/2009 SMP 48-WHAT MUSIC?-Late Spring '09 Mix
i like the dubstep for sure but it just doesdn't touch the same places that DnB does... for me anywhos.
I got dissed by that link UFO.

I really dig this shit, but it's hard to build up a collection of records over here in Dublin, when i'm the only person I know who buys it. I could do the internet shop thing but I just don't have the cash to be spunking on records I don't KNOW I want, and there is absolutely NO outlet for it over here anyway, except for the occasional radio show or something. I've got pretty much every release on Tempa though! That's one fucking wicked label.
alpha omega Wrote:can someone explain to little old me

what's the difference between grime & dubstep?

grime is mc led... most of the tunes are just tracks for mcs to freestyle over. grime uses big, catchy hooks to grab your attention, and is generally more up-tempo.

dubstep tends to be dark, minimal, and very spacious. it's definately sound system stuff. the focus is on the music - there's not a huge amount going on most of the time, like dub. the producers are obsessed with bass weight.. it's like a musical fetish. there's a lot of stuff coming through that uses breaks and sounds a bit like jungle at 33rpm, for example toasty, search and destroy, distance and vex'd to a certain extent. most people shy away from calling this stuff dubstep though - a lot of people call it breakstep, just because the vibe is so different. you won't hear many tunes by those artists at a dmz night.

the track in the clip i posted is a loefah remix of candyfloss by search and destroy. loefahs just running dubstep for me at the moment. he's on another level..

don rosco Wrote:i got dissed by that link ufo.

Baffled

you're right dude, tempa's an amazing label. there's two other buy on sight labels for me - dmz and tectonic Falcon
Vex'd and Toasty are def. my favorite dubstep producers so far.
It's just something about those real sparse rhythms. Heavy.
Rhythm Hacker Wrote:Vex'd and Toasty are def. my favorite dubstep producers so far.

Vex'd and Toasty are ace, but I dunno about sparse. They're both pretty busy in all aspects of their tracks Smile
UFO_over_easy Wrote:
Rhythm Hacker Wrote:Vex'd and Toasty are def. my favorite dubstep producers so far.

Vex'd and Toasty are ace, but I dunno about sparse. They're both pretty busy in all aspects of their tracks Smile

Yeah, that was more of a statement about dubstep in general (in relation to dnb) I guess... Smile
Jig
Yeah UFO knows.

Both styles come from the wreckage of garage.

Dubstep evolved from deep experiments in bassline garage from the likes of El-B (Groove Chronicles), Zed Bias. Although now speading worldwide early days were centred on Croydon with key figures like Hatcha and Big Apple Records.

Grime came out of East London, like UFO says is MC led and centres on the MCs like roll deep, newham generals etc. Lots of hooky mid range stuff.

TBH the styles increasingly intermingle, with Skream's midnight request line track getting exposure from roll deep and lots of grime dj and mc representation at FWD, the big dubstep night in London. Stylistically there is overlap, but I'd say, generally, dubstep will make more sense aesthetically to junglists - there are MCs but they are like accompaniments - they hype the crowd and so on.

Grime is quite alien - its more like stupidly off-the-wall bonkers music at 138bpm delivered in a hip-hop context with MCs spitting about life and beef etc.
Logos - you'll probably know what the second tune is in that clip. Any ideas? Sounds like another Loefah bit but I'm not sure. It's sick whatever it is Hyper

What you thinking about Destructive on Saturday? Nice looking lineup Smile
Raaah its so familiar. Sure its Loefah.

Orson will know Lol

Coming down fwd next Wednesday Ben?
Might pop in to see Hatcha. Do you know when he's on?

Bit breaky for my taste overall tho Oops
Logos Wrote:Raaah its so familiar. Sure its Loefah.

Orson will know Lol

Coming down fwd next Wednesday Ben?

Definately. I'm working in old street next week so I'm gonna crash at a mates flat and turn up battered the next morning Smile It's Skream and Youngsta isnt it?

As for Destructive - Hatcha and Distance will probably go a bit deeper. No idea about set lists though.. I'm not sure if I'm heading down. Depends what time I get into london tomorrow. I've heard some recent Quiet Storm and Search & Destroy sets which didn't do it for me at all. Really nu skool breaksy.
UFO_over_easy Wrote:Definately. I'm working in old street next week

Gruber

UFO_over_easy Wrote:It's Skream and Youngsta isnt it?

Skream Hatch and Geeneus alledgedly Grin
Falcon
Don Rosco Wrote:I got dissed by that link UFO.

I really dig this shit, but it's hard to build up a collection of records over here in Dublin, when i'm the only person I know who buys it. I could do the internet shop thing but I just don't have the cash to be spunking on records I don't KNOW I want, and there is absolutely NO outlet for it over here anyway, except for the occasional radio show or something. I've got pretty much every release on Tempa though! That's one fucking wicked label.

...you are not the only one buying dubstep, rossssssss....

Twisted Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bandcamp: Drum 'N' Bass & other music recommendations Spectraz 177 150,546 10th February 2024, 00:31
Last Post: Statto
  Hip Hop + Drum & Bass done well Catastrophe 58 41,342 9th September 2023, 02:02
Last Post: +ToRMeNT+
  Jungle vs Drum & Bass Icewind 159 89,688 14th April 2022, 00:04
  Drum and bass on Mastermind Statto 1 1,537 10th March 2022, 16:09
Last Post: girth_maul
Smile Blind Test // 90s Drum 'n' Bass / Jungle (Electronic Beats TV) Spectraz 8 6,320 15th October 2020, 21:12