Create an account

[-]
Tags
cover versions

Cover versions.

Does anyone else love cover-versions? I've been listening to a podcast called coverville recently, it's great for hearing weird and wonderful versions of... well anything.

One of my favourites at the moment is the Scala Choir's cover of Teenage Dirtbag. That one is mainly a novelty type of thing, but a lot of covers bring something totally different to a song - some being even better than the original song.

What's your favourite cover (that isn't Johnny Cash's 'hurt')?

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]

Ian Brown's version of Billie Jean is quite good Grin (I have The Stone Roses on, so that jumped into my mind)

I'd like to be doing many more covers of dnb 'hits' in my sets, if people would give me the audio files and sequences *COUGHCOUGHF+NFANUPARADOXBREAKAGEETCETCETCAHEMCOUGHCOUGH*
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.

Hotel California by The Moog Cookbook. Laughed my arse off at that, it served the original well Lol

You could also check the Nouvelle Vague album on Peacefrog Records, all notable covers. Including a great version of Too Drunk To Fuck from the Dead Kennedys.

I used to love ska punk covers of 80s pop songs - I think it's the law that every American Ska Punk band does at least one. Reel Big Fish's cover of Take on Me was inspired, but they do kind of lose their sheen when everyone starts doing them...

Other than that I'm quite partial to the Dillinger Escape Plan's cover of come to Daddy with Mike Patton on vox Twisted

Can't think of any more though Grumble
[Image: pezholiodoa.gif]

batfink Wrote:bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK NORK NORK bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK bwabba NORK.

yeah that nouvelle vague album is quality.

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]

paradise lost version of bronski beat's smalltown boy, sounded pretty hetero actually Grin

The Revolting Cocks version of Do ya think I'm sexy Lovesmilie

Don't know about decent cover versions, but I remember hearing Bruce Springsteen cover Edwin Star's 'War' on a concert CD once. Jesus for the love of Motown - what a fucking joke!

Kode 9 and Space Ape's cover of Ghost Town by the Specials is really spooky Grin

Unsanes version of 4 sticks by Led Zep

ufo_over_easy Wrote:kode 9 and space ape's cover of ghost town by the specials is really spooky :d

sounds good! Xyxthumbs

add kode 9 and daddi gee's cover of prince's sign of the times in that case Nervous

batfink Wrote:bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK NORK NORK bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK bwabba NORK.

Me First and the Gimmie Gimmie's cover of Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard by Paul Simon is cool as well Grin

Cake - I Will Survive

ministry - lay lady lay

just as daft as dylan's original, so that's a good cover then

The Residents - Satisfaction

phish & blues traveler : 'gin and juice'

fucking gold!

Hahaha
Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creative!" 
-Mingus

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fave cover versions & reinterpretations of.. +ToRMeNT+ 44 5,613 15th November 2017, 11:37
Last Post: esb
  Procedure 769 Reinforced Cover Pics HiddenSound 24 2,309 21st February 2015, 22:58
Last Post: firefinga
  Project Thirty-Three (record cover design) InfiniteSloth 4 634 29th October 2012, 18:15
Last Post: MetaLX
  [BANNIT] Out of hours work cover denaris 4 540 30th January 2011, 22:21
Last Post: denaris
  Reinforced Cover Art in a book! 247 22 1,414 18th January 2011, 10:40
Last Post: Bladerunna

Forum software by © MyBB Theme © iAndrew 2016