Create an account

ATTN: FANU-san

first post, but i got a damn good question:

you got me stumped, first off on your drum sequencing of course...but what i *really* wanna know is, how the hell do u get your basslines to hit so hard? and what shapes are you using to build em? this knowledge would be priceless to me, but if you want me to paypal you some $$ for answers, i wouldn't be offended.

-aspiring producer

p.s. i've produced tunes under the name Dextro, you can hear tunes at the link below to determine whether i'm worth this knowledge.

http://www.myspace.com/dextro1

word is bond!

Welcome

I know the dark art of FANU...huummmm

paypal Homerdrool
Keep Jungle Alive!

Djlimon Wrote:Welcome

I know the dark art of FANU...huummmm

paypal Homerdrool

*bows* thank u sir...the welcome is appreciated.

so...any clues?? :shiteatinggrin:

Wave
yowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..

funwithsalt Wrote:Wave
yowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..

mah bruthah!
Cool

hello there Wave

yo duder

i wouldve replied earlier but i dont come around these parts that often :d

u know....
i gotta be by far the most uninteresting producer when it comes to discussing production :-/
it's just that there are still no any secrets or special techniques to what i do.
it's not like "first i turn on this ninja studio device and start nanocorrecting this and that while inverting and layering x and y to make em go woomph and..." Oops Hahaha

i still try out different things and to be honest, still am quite insecure/uncertain about what i do but fortunately i end up with ok results i guess :d

as for bass...
maybe the 60hz knob on my soundcraft desk works Cool

hehe..
well there is this one thing with bass that i kinda discovered myself; i learned how to do a powerful snap to it.
i took this boom bass (a 808 bass), cut a small piece off its start so that it had this annoying click in the beginning of the sample.
then, i treated that click once or twice with a waves plugin to give it "more punch".
then, i lowpassed that snap so that it sounded less annoying.
makes the bass stand out well in a mix if u do it right.

i use that bass pretty often in various ways; i use a lot of gain on my soundcraft desk to warm the bass up and make it distort a little.

also, i'm all hardware but i do some minor/basic sample processing in wavelab as well as touch the final mixes with the basic wavelab eq.

dunno what else to say except that playing around with tekknikz and devices is real fruitful....
i just got this kawai rack-eq (yeah i know, kawai? :d) which is ok for some eq surgery, but what's notable about it is that it gives this badass-sounding distortion....sounds very sexual on breaks! Lovesmilie

actually, i finished my fattest-and-dirtiest tune yesterday, and that uses that distortion.... Twisted

i guess i didnt help much but there isnt much i could say! Oops Smile

well thanks a lot fer the response man... appreciated.

i use all software so it's kinda hard to understand exactly what you're sayin, but i think you gave me some ideas. i've been using hydra, and having 1 osc on triangle and one on a sine wave, boosting the gain and adding a little distortion/chorus. seems to work out o.k., but it definitely drowns out the drums a bit. plus most of my basses are between 80-90Hz... would bringing it down to 60 help separate from the drums?

i can see what you meant with the click on the 808 boom, makes your basslines sort of THUD when they hit. i'll have to experiment a bit w/that. Cool

once again, thanks much for the words mang... should help out a lot. i am not worthy Icon_exclaim

tritone theory Wrote:but it definitely drowns out the drums a bit. plus most of my basses are between 80-90Hz... would bringing it down to 60 help separate from the drums

i suspect what you mean is that the fundamental frequency of your bass is there, but you will have lots of other frequencies surrounding it in your bass sound.

and yes thats where kicks tend to sit in the spectrum. apart from separation, you'll likely want more going on down at around 60 to make peoples guts shake. Wink

32 Hz or stfu Lol
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.

Macc Wrote:32 Hz or stfu Lol

id wager that mans monitoring setup aint gonna be too accurate down there Wink

and i said 'guts shake' not 'limbs fall off'

seriously though to tritone - do you understand the importance of sub-bass in your typical d&b cut? I wonder what monitors you're using?
Especially with bass if you have inadequate monitoring theres so much going on that you cant actually hear (even though you may be hearing harmonics of the bits you cant hear) that you are forced into a combination of clever tricks and some guesswork.

Limbs falling off or stfu Grin
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.

not a lot worse than starting the workweek with a cheeky macc Roll

Well, you could be you. No one wants that.

which one of us are you refering to?

Are you a schizo?

he is

titanium Wrote:he is

Hahaha

and dont worry about macccs cheekiness.
He'll step in to line as soon as he smells my latest recipe invention Wink

Lol @ Macc's cheekiness...

@scope - yea i am in desperate need of monitors. i am currently working with: Sony MDR-V150 headphones ($20 @ Wal-Mart) and Altec-Lansing's poor excuse for a desktop setup with a "sub" (Series100). it would seem i have a bit of a budget to work on. can you suggest good flat response monitors for a decent price? i was looking @ the Event TR8's, which seemed to be within reach financially for me.

so yea, definitely a lot of guesswork going on... Roll

tritone theory Wrote:Lol @ macc's cheekiness...

@scope - yea i am in desperate need of monitors. i am currently working with: sony mdr-v150 headphones ($20 @ wal-mart) and altec-lansing's poor excuse for a desktop setup with a "sub" (series100). it would seem i have a bit of a budget to work on. can you suggest good flat response monitors for a decent price? i was looking @ the event tr8's, which seemed to be within reach financially for me.

so yea, definitely a lot of guesswork going on... Roll

Icon_eek

really? its no wonder you struggle with bass.....
what is your budget, and what is your room like ?
is d&b all you do? 90% of the time? 50%?

Xyxthumbs

all i can say is the budget is pretty tight right now... n i'd say i'm workin on dnb tunes bout half the time...also do a lot of idm, breakcore, downtempo, ambient, etc. which i guess don't require as much bass troubleshooting.

i put a link to some of the tunes i worked on at the top if u'd like to check em out. /spam heh heh. but yeah, i think it's about time i get started on buying better monitors... though headphones would be best cuz i'm in an apartment complex w/paper thin walls.

tritone theory Wrote:... though headphones would be best cuz i'm in an apartment complex w/paper thin walls.

Go after some bayer dynamics or akg's, theyre pretty good. maybe someone else here has some good advice on hp's Wink

titanium Wrote:
tritone theory Wrote:... though headphones would be best cuz i'm in an apartment complex w/paper thin walls.

Go after some bayer dynamics or akg's, theyre pretty good. maybe someone else here has some good advice on hp's Wink

if its to mix on you need to spend A WHOLE LOT of cash on cans to replace a set of monitors, and even then you cant judge stereo imaging properly, no matter what cans you're using.

cans ARE good for checking details - levels of instruments, and details like verb tails..

oh and you'll want a set of open backed cans. closed are good for isolating sound for use as monitor phones when an artist is recording and you dont want a mic to pic up bleed. But shite for mix decisions.

Grado or STFU for mix references, but only in combination with decent monitors !

http://www.subvertcentral.com/forum/view...es&t=26571

tritone theory Wrote:most of my basses are between 80-90Hz... would bringing it down to 60 help separate from the drums?

yeah, it's definitely more at 60 than at 80-90.
especially when it comes to boosting stuff.
some of the kicks rock at 80-90

also, what i do every time is drive the kicks thru a HP filter (with some resonance) that's set to a value that gives good results (u gotta tweak it to find it) as it cuts off the bassline freq range off kicks, removing the unnecessary rumble, preventing bassline and kicks from clashing Smile

Forum software by © MyBB Theme © iAndrew 2016