Just read 'ALL CREWS Journeys Through Jungle / DnB Culture'

105 Replies, 17908 Views

He doesn't like either JUNGLE 94/95 style... or 'choppage/edits' Hahaha

Wot a muppet :P
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
gizza lend of it!
don't! Icon_razz

ye'll go blind!

(or else just piss yrself off with how slavishly subservient to the scene it is, like i did)

seriously. No read 'energy flash' instead. Cool

or even goldie's phantasmic autobiography.. it's more entertaining Lol
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
i can lend ya energy flash ricky..
yeah i was looking forward to you reading that.... lol....

yeah it's a rather jumbled confused little book... and he DOES love his jungle celebs.... even rohan gets quoted at one point!

not a patch on energy flash...
...it's like a bloody LIBRARY out there!!! http://twitter.com/executivesteve
is this the new version of All Crew Muss Big Up?

i read the first version, pretty uninteresting - basically just a big 'pat on the back' for all his mates in the scene.

but the author did hand deliever the book to my house, quite unusual Lol
just for the record, Energy Flash is shooooperb Grin
another vote for energy flash.
Has anyone read 'rip it up and start again'. I don't know a huge amount about the music in question but I like what I've heard. Woudl this be a good read for a noew wave/post punk noob like myself.

Stacks
[Image: banner2_590.jpg]
[Image: swbanner.gif]
[Image: BB_banner3.gif]
it's bollox innit naphta! Hahaha wish i hadn't bought it.

write one yourself! Xyxthumbs
[Insert signature here]
stacks Wrote:woudl this be a good read for a new wave/post punk noob like myself.

Yes Xyxthumbs
Rip it Up is well worth the read.
im writing my autobiography inbetween writing shite tunes and uni called

"Fushara- An Autobiography"

in it i will discuss my struggle with heroin addiction..

i will contemplate the meaning of life

i will solve interdimensional theorems

i will explore the meaning of consciousness

and i will discuss the pros and cons of democracy in the Western world and put forward my theories for a new world order

I will also include my musings with my good friend Bob the builder on the art of urban construction in a modern landscape

and wonder with all the wisdom gained in the last 24 years about the direction of my life

It will be on sale at all good bookshops for a twenty quid and students will get a discount of nothing cos they don't deserve it
Fushara
sorry to disagree with the majority, but energy flash is pure fucking wank of the first order.
nuffbonsai Wrote:is this the new version of All Crew Muss Big Up?

i read the first version, pretty uninteresting - basically just a big 'pat on the back' for all his mates in the scene.

but the author did hand deliever the book to my house, quite unusual Lol
yeah, it's the new version of 'All Crew Muss Big Up'. thought it was quite ok after first reading, especially the part on pirate radio. i later read 'Energy Flash'. that's more recommended, though.
blumarten Wrote:sorry to disagree with the majority, but energy flash is pure fucking wank of the first order.
whys that?
Artifact Wrote:
blumarten Wrote:sorry to disagree with the majority, but energy flash is pure fucking wank of the first order.
whys that?

because i loathe his self-satisfied style of writing. Also don't like his assertions that he 'coined' catchphrases....I was neck deep in the scene and i never heard anyone use the phrase 'artcore'....daft cunt.

The whole thing just reeks of someone who never-quite-got-it, but desparately wanted to, and the only way he can make up for it now is to intellectualise the whole thing.

I was there. It's not how he said it was.
blumarten Wrote:I was there. It's not how he said it was.

i never got the impression that Simon Reynolds was trying to speak for the entire scene. i just see him as someone who's giving his opinion on how he saw things. he's not asserting his opinion as fact
blumarten Wrote:The whole thing just reeks of someone who never-quite-got-it, but desparately wanted to, and the only way he can make up for it now is to intellectualise the whole thing.

I found that with All Crews Muss Big Up. As well.

But fuck it, I enjoyed that when I read it and probably would again. "I bumped into Kenny coming down into Blackmarket" Lol

Quote:It's bollox innit Naphta! Hahaha Wish I hadn't bought it.

You'd love it if everyone else did. Teef
blumarten Wrote:
Artifact Wrote:
whys that?

because i loathe his self-satisfied style of writing. Also don't like his assertions that he 'coined' catchphrases....I was neck deep in the scene and i never heard anyone use the phrase 'artcore'....daft cunt.

er...

[Image: artcore1.jpg]

[Image: artcore2.jpg]

Thats a pretty bad critique by any standards...

And might I also add that I loathe your self satisfied writing style... Teef
nuffbonsai Wrote:

i never got the impression that Simon Reynolds was trying to speak for the entire scene. i just see him as someone who's giving his opinion on how he saw things. he's not asserting his opinion as fact

having an opinion is one thing...but when you publish it in book form like that it inevitably takes on a certain authority which, intentional or not, starts to look like 'fact', and that is the way it is percieved across the board.

Here - look at the synopsis of the book from Amazon:

"This work tells the story of rave culture and explores the origins of this dance music, chronicling the ways in which its reverberations have influenced 1990s pop. Examining the music as well as the drugs, the book traces how Chicago house and Detroit techno catalyzed the rave and "Madchester" ferment of 1988-90, then follows the music into the early-1990s. It surveys the confusion of post-rave styles and scenes: jungle, electronica, drum and bass, trance, trip hop, and Big Beat. "

Look at the words they use. "tells THE story", "chronicling", "surveys", "examining".

They're all words and phrases that suggest a scientific, dispassionate or 'factual' stance, not a personal one.
droid Wrote:
blumarten Wrote:because i loathe his self-satisfied style of writing. Also don't like his assertions that he 'coined' catchphrases....I was neck deep in the scene and i never heard anyone use the phrase 'artcore'....daft cunt.

er...

[Image: artcore1.jpg]

[Image: artcore2.jpg]

Thats a pretty bad critique by any standards...

And might I also add that I loathe your self satisfied writing style... Teef

haha...very good Teef
hey Naptha, (please don't take this the wrong way) but maybe there's room for another book? You've got the knowledge, clearly have the writing skills (I'm sure most people on SC would agree Hahaha ) and if anyone tried to tell you shit you can just chop dem rarse yoda style.... Hahaha

ok forget the last bit but I would say it's worth thinking about no?

I think 0=0 was trying to do a DVD history at one point.... not sure what happened with that Baffled

seriously man.. you'd be the best qualified IMO... I'd buy your book mate.... Grin
Hmmmm - I read it some years back and enjoyed it.

Like any chronicle it is just one man's perspective on events. Just look at how historians bicker and argue over history.

Like chris says - i've you've got a more accurate account - write it.

I think the best book of this kind is Last Night a DJ saved my life.

I could re read that forever Grin
DUBPLATE (Retired)
nuffbonsai Wrote:

Aye but his stuff is often quoted as fact by other folks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Celebrity culture Statto 5 4,402 28th April 2019, 19:26
Last Post: Muttley
  RELEASE Youth Culture CD Series - Youth Culture 4 Muttley 2 2,271 23rd April 2019, 16:49
  RELEASE Jungle + DnB Reissues + Formerly Unreleased KeeptheUgroundAlive 8 5,203 28th January 2019, 11:05
Last Post: KeeptheUgroundAlive
  US-mainstream coverage of "Rave culture" late '92 firefinga 1 2,011 26th August 2018, 11:08
  Jungle DnB Favs 2017 December firefinga 0 2,609 20th March 2018, 19:10
Last Post: firefinga