SOLARIS - top movie and no mistake guv!

28 Replies, 3760 Views

Saw the George Clooney film SOLARIS on Saturday. Blew me away, best film I've seen in years. It's so deeep, really makes you think. Amazing soundtrack too.

I'm not gonna say much more cos I dont wanna spoil it but you have to check it out. I'd be interested to hear what other people thought of it though.
have yis seen the original?
saw it a couple of months ago with my girl and got out of the theatre stunned... this movie leaves you wondering
i'd like to see the original too, by some russion guy, but i forgot his name
i've seen it too. i have to admit i was feeling some prejudice before seeing it just cuz there's clooney on it but yes, the film totally rocks, it's very very deep and clooney does a good job.

one of my fave flicks Xyxthumbs
the original is by the legendary Tarkosky. Blue

i'm sure that Unsane can tell us more Wink
Blue Wrote:have yis seen the original?

Not yet, but I'm going to now. It's a lot more faithful to the book isn't it?
none of you liked the film - you just liked his arse!!! ha ha ha

32(.
Lets make d+b special for 2009!
u know what?

I had absolutely no intentions of watching this movie,ever!

but since u guys are saying it's decent & me being a big sci-fi fan as it is I'm gonna pick it up on dvd.HMV & Virgin are doing some deals at the mo & I can probably get it 4 6quid anyway Wink
i think it's buy 5dvd's for 30quid at virgin
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D
Initial has solaris on his laptop Blue - will bring to the studio this week for yis!!
Shut that door!
I even sampled something from Solaris and some of you have heard it......but ah ain gon' tell u where! Cool
I will never watch this movie as i feel it will fund more shitty remakes by hollywood. When will someone with some imagination get a chance ?

I think hollywood should get some more japanese directors they know how to make some quality films over there.
Altered Ego Wrote:I will never watch this movie as i feel it will fund more shitty remakes by hollywood. When will someone with some imagination get a chance ?

I think hollywood should get some more japanese directors they know how to make some quality films over there.

damn right, ooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - shamone mutha, fucker!

32(.
Fanu Wrote:I even sampled something from Solaris and some of you have heard it......but ah ain gon' tell u where! Cool

2nd last track??! Icon_question
Co..Cou...Could you possibly rewind and come again?
very good movie indeed, less is more.

cliff martinez! check out narc and traffic for more of his stuff, which pretty much sounds identical.
The original version of Solaris (Solyaris) was directed by Andrei Tarkovsky in 1972. Tarkovsky is one of the bards of the Soviet cinema: a filmmaker whose works are intensely intimate, occasionally controversial, always beautiful to behold. He is at his most compelling when examining the individual's search for his soul, the lack of true spirituality in contemporary society, and the inability of mankind to adequately respond to the demands of a rapidly evolving technology. Tarkovsky was educated at the Institute of Oriental Languages and the AllUnion State Cinematography Institute, where he directed a prize-winning short subject, Katok i skrypka (1960, The Steamroller and the Violin He earned international acclaim with his first feature, Ivan's childhood(1962), a drama about a 12-year-old boy who becomes a partisan after his family is slaughtered by German soldiers during World War 2. Ingmar Bergman described the film, which earned Tarkovsky the top prize at the Venice Film Festival, as "like a miracle. I felt encouraged and stimulated: someone was expressing what I had always wanted to say without knowing how.... The film captures life as a reflection, life as a dream." Tarkovsky's next film was his most controversial: Andrei Rublev (1966), a historical drama about the famed 15th-century icon painter, which won the International Critics Award at the Cannes Film Festival. The film examines the role and responsibility of the artist in society; as it does not depict the artist as a "worker" who simply reflects the politics of the state, Andrei Rublev was suppressed by the Soviet authorities and not released until 1971. Next, Tarkovsky earned the Cannes Film Festival Special Jury Prize for Solaris (1972), the USSR's answer to Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (196Cool, the story of an astronaut who travels to an orbiting space station. Zerkalo (1976, American title, The Mirror Tarkovsky's most autobiographical work, is a collage of images and dream sequences relating to his childhood, parents and adult life. Stalker (1979) is the story of an odyssey to a prohibited area hidden within a police state. In Nostalgia (1983), Tarkovsky's first film made outside the USSR, a weary academic finds more than he bargained for upon coming to Tuscany to research the life of a 17thcentury composer. The Sacrifice (1986), his final feature, explores the impact of an impending nuclear attack on a group living on a remote island; in it, Tarkovsky used an unedited ten-minute take.
Unsane Wrote:The original version of Solaris (Solyaris) was directed by Andrei Tarkovsky in 1972. Tarkovsky is one of the bards of the Soviet cinema: a filmmaker whose works are intensely intimate, occasionally controversial, always beautiful to behold. He is at his most compelling when examining the individual's search for his soul, the lack of true spirituality in contemporary society, and the inability of mankind to adequately respond to the demands of a rapidly evolving technology. Tarkovsky was educated at the Institute of Oriental Languages and the AllUnion State Cinematography Institute, where he directed a prize-winning short subject, Katok i skrypka (1960, The Steamroller and the Violin He earned international acclaim with his first feature, Ivan's childhood(1962), a drama about a 12-year-old boy who becomes a partisan after his family is slaughtered by German soldiers during World War 2. Ingmar Bergman described the film, which earned Tarkovsky the top prize at the Venice Film Festival, as "like a miracle. I felt encouraged and stimulated: someone was expressing what I had always wanted to say without knowing how.... The film captures life as a reflection, life as a dream." Tarkovsky's next film was his most controversial: Andrei Rublev (1966), a historical drama about the famed 15th-century icon painter, which won the International Critics Award at the Cannes Film Festival. The film examines the role and responsibility of the artist in society; as it does not depict the artist as a "worker" who simply reflects the politics of the state, Andrei Rublev was suppressed by the Soviet authorities and not released until 1971. Next, Tarkovsky earned the Cannes Film Festival Special Jury Prize for Solaris (1972), the USSR's answer to Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (196Cool, the story of an astronaut who travels to an orbiting space station. Zerkalo (1976, American title, The Mirror Tarkovsky's most autobiographical work, is a collage of images and dream sequences relating to his childhood, parents and adult life. Stalker (1979) is the story of an odyssey to a prohibited area hidden within a police state. In Nostalgia (1983), Tarkovsky's first film made outside the USSR, a weary academic finds more than he bargained for upon coming to Tuscany to research the life of a 17thcentury composer. The Sacrifice (1986), his final feature, explores the impact of an impending nuclear attack on a group living on a remote island; in it, Tarkovsky used an unedited ten-minute take.

Applause

you cut and paste here again and i'll ..................Hahaha

good work son Wink
Unsane
Angel Of Vengeance

a brass eye fan i assume?
polygon Wrote:Unsane
Angel Of Vengeance

a brass eye fan i assume?

Roll

we all are of course!!!

Unsane
Blue Wrote:Roll

we all are of course!!!

Unsane

youre wrong, and youre a grotesquely ugly freak.

thanks. Butthead
Your a shrub rocketeer.
youre the crazy world of arthur brown
zinga Wrote:Saw the George Clooney film SOLARIS on Saturday. Blew me away, best film I've seen in years. It's so deeep, really makes you think. Amazing soundtrack too.

I'm not gonna say much more cos I dont wanna spoil it but you have to check it out. I'd be interested to hear what other people thought of it though.

watched it for the second or was it the third time on sunday.......
it only gets better and better.

the music is amazingly deep.

the atmosphere is deep deep deep.

if u havent seen this one, go get it now.
Xyxthumbs

stalker is going for under £10 on dvd in hmv (oxford st. anyway).
logos Wrote:Xyxthumbs

stalker is going for under £10 on dvd in hmv (oxford st. anyway).

sorry for my ignorance but what is stalker?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photek - Solaris album RhythmicNature 67 7,515 29th August 2022, 23:40
Last Post: tyranny
  LOL!! I uploaded an old mix by mistake..... Chris Inperspective 13 5,775 20th March 2008, 20:05
Last Post: Shiva
  Jason oS - Solaris Jason oS 41 5,263 15th July 2007, 16:07
Last Post: plume
  Solaris - and Cliff Martinez Breaker 5 888 25th April 2006, 01:30
Last Post: Jason oS
  there's been a mistake SETI 5 1,027 15th December 2005, 18:13
Last Post: Ashes