Create an account

do you mixdown you final bounced out tune

Do you mixdown or prossece your final tunes once it is mixed down and bounced out of your daw?

if you do what do you normaly do? i know some people do this and some dont

i think what you're referring to is what's usually called the "mastering" stage. Smile

normally this involves manipulation of a mixed down audio wave for purposes of final eqing, compression and system compatability.

some people do 'rough mastering' on their own work, but most (if they're smart about it) leave it to a mastering engineer. (assuming it's going to be released)

hope that helps some.

i guess technically what i was talking about would be mastering, but that wasnt really what i meant.

i more meant simple things like adding a small amount of compression or limiting, or one last run through an eq. i guess i always imagine mastering as a much more complicated procedure.

If your cake is made of shit then there's little to be gained by icing it Smile
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.

unless you are into scatstep Teef

Rofl

Macc Wrote:If your cake is made of shit then there's little to be gained by icing it Smile

Cakes, pies, tree branches...what next? Lol

Macc Wrote:If your cake is made of shit then there's little to be gained by icing it Smile

yea yea, i mostly wanted to post to clarify cause i felt like an idiot for the way the way i worded my first post Oops Icon_sad

I wasn't saying YOUR cake was made of shit Smile
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.

yes sometimes a bit of hardlimiting in cooledit pro so i can play it out on CD.

Yeah man, leave the final bit to a mastering engineer if you are going to have it released. I know a good mastering dude in Seattle, but you just moved to AZ so I guess that doesn't matter. Anyways, if you aren't going to release it, or will share it for free, I'd say try mastering it yourself to at least learn it a bit. Render your tune and then use a sequencer or wave editor to apply mastering limiting/eq/etc. Or send it out to outboard gear (but that stuff costs loads so I assume you'll use software).

And ya, you can polish a turd. It'll still be a turd, but will be shiny Grin Think of it more as giving a smelly, homeless guy a shower and a sandwich.

Hahaha Hahaha Hahaha

Nice analogy, well put Grin

To put it another way, it's still a shit cake but at least it has icing cake on it Teef Teef Teef

ive been wondering bout this, cos things like ratios multiplying up etc.
if youve done all yer mixing and mastering and then send it off to someone who does more mastering isnt all the comprssion gonna make things pretty lifeless

djfada Wrote:ive been wondering bout this, cos things like ratios multiplying up etc.
if youve done all yer mixing and mastering and then send it off to someone who does more mastering isnt all the comprssion gonna make things pretty lifeless

Baffled did you just dry quote me brah Teef

bottom line:

If the piece is intended for release, DO NOT master it yourself. (assuming you're dealing with a label or organization that will be performing mastering on it)

if you need to do some limiting/master EQing to get it hot enough to play in the club, fine. Just don't give THAT version to the M.E. Give them the raw mixdown.

^^ Yes spodz is right on the money.

most often though, it ends up being both. i have two folders, pre- and post-masters, full of rar'ed wav files. the same tunes are in both folders, but i know that if i need a clean wav for vinyl mastering i have it, and if i need a pumped up jobby for the 320 sluts, then i have that as well.

oh yeah, sorry about that fada Oops it was late and i thought i'd best not write another bloody essay...

Macc Wrote:Oh yeah, sorry about that fada Oops It was late and I thought I'd best not write another bloody essay...

no worries man Smile

is it right compressor ratios multiply up in the mix rather than just add up tho?

Yes, but what difference does it make?

That's a serious question btw Smiley

surely if you process your bass like 3:1 in the mixdown then do a 2:1 on the full master (rough example), thats like 6:1 over all , then a mastering enginerr adds say another 2:1 thats like your bass hass been compressed at 12:1 making it shit

Macc Wrote:Yes, but what difference does it make?

That's a serious question btw Smiley

you cynical bastard Spank Rofl

No, it is a serious question. Smiley Not being cynical - I'm asking why he needs to know Smiley

macc Wrote:i'm asking why he needs to know Smiley

cos im a boring fucker i reckon Teef

i thought it was a valid point concerning this thread tho.. surely loads of compression ending up on things due to it being mastered twice (if you do self mastering before its sent away) is gonna spoil the warmth of the track

I limit/compress as i go along, so there's probably no room for the track to be mastered. Black block special.

The reason why i work like this is because:

a) I could never master my tracks so they sounded like the original
b) Tracks had to be playable in the club

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ITS THE MIXDOWN THREAD! dodz 90 17,504 17th December 2008, 05:32
Last Post: Profane
  hurry up! finish a mixdown before the demos run out!!!! jcb 10 2,500 25th May 2008, 20:10
Last Post: jcb
  Mixdown thru valve compressor? thush-ara 30 5,582 27th November 2006, 15:37
Last Post: Macc
  THA MIXDOWN QUESTIONS THREAD ALPHA OMEGA 57 7,292 16th September 2006, 13:24
Last Post: subvert
  how do you guys feel about bouncing to stems for a mixdown? dodz 57 6,712 9th March 2006, 18:07
Last Post: Macc

Forum software by © MyBB Theme © iAndrew 2016