Real time pitch shift

17 Replies, 6311 Views

I require some software that will inable me to pitch shift in real time. This is for tuning my samples.

I've tried using Waves SoundShifter but it eats up my CPU.

I don't own a sampler. Will a sampler do the job?

Cheers. Smile
What sequencer do you use? SX 3 allows you to pitch things in the arrange page.

The waves one is the best around though - why not just do it offline? It comes with an offline version specifically because it munches...
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
decent hardware realtime pitch shifting is usally found in fx processors rather than samplers (eventide being the flagship for pitchshifting), unless you have a vari roland sampler, but tbh thats a bit old hat. there are good plugins that do the job - anteres being the obvious one but maybe you should do as bob said and render?
are you sure you need to pitch shift them to tuiune them?

if you want to keep the samples the exact same length then you need to pitch shift, but if you just want to make some moiinor alterations to the tuning then just changing the tuning by playing the sample faster/slower would be a much better option imo

my firefox has gone all weird so i can't see what i'm typing properly but i'm sure someone can explain better Wink
i use sx (i think... or sx2 Oops ) & windows 2000 Teef

offline? i presume you mean not in real-time? i'm confusion by what you mean when you say 'offline version'. as you know, soundshifter works in real-time and not in real-time. so i'm confused Baffled

the reason i want to be able to tune the sample in real-time is because i don't know what key i want the sample in (to go with the rest of the track or element in the track). i want to play it by ear. i'll check of the anteres pitch-shift bobule. t Xyxthumbs hanks

i could tune offline but it would not be as efficient (timewise) or fun (i really want to try and make music more organically)

tyler: i do 'resample' samples (think this is what you mean. if you don't have cubase, it is a function which changes the sample rate of the sample). with is nice for changing the pitch. i've actually just remembered the 'sizing applies timestretch' function in cubase (under object selection up the top). i've never use this function before and will have to give it a go. i learn a new thing about cubase everyday. luv 't.
dionysus Wrote:I use SX (I think... or SX2 Oops ) & Windows 2000 Teef

Spank

Quote:Offline? I presume you mean not in real-time? I'm confusion by what you mean when you say 'offline version'. As you know, Soundshifter works in real-time and not in real-time. So i'm confused Baffled

Offline = non-realtime Smile

Quote:The reason i want to be able to tune the sample in real-time is because i don't know what key i want the sample in (to go with the rest of the track or element in the track). I want to play it by ear. I'll check of the Anteres pitch-shift bobule. I could tune offline but it would not be as efficient (timewise) or fun (i really want to try and make music more organically)

Do what you're doing, get the pitch in tune with the real-time effect. Once you are happy, select the sample and apply the effect permanently, offline. Then you can turn off the realtime muncher.

Quote:Tyler: I do 'resample' samples (think this is what you mean. If you don't have Cubase, it is a function which changes the Sample Rate of the sample). With is nice for changing the pitch. I've actually just remembered the 'Sizing Applies Timestretch' function in Cubase (under Object Selection up the top). I've never use this function before and will have to give it a go. I learn a new thing about Cubase everyday. Luv 't.

Sizing applies timestretch doesn't change the pitch. Smile
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Problem is that sometimes, Sounshifter will crash my machine when the CPU is already being battered (obviously)

So the options are:

1) Mixdown more elements (less fx, less CPU usage)
2) Find a real-time pitch shift that isn't such a muncher.

I'm not really holding out for No.2. As you guys are headz and would probably know of one. Will give bobule's suggestion a try though.

PS now you mention that 'timestretch doesn't affect pitch' Macc... it seems so obvious :does walk of shame:
There's a few real time pitch shifters around... But once you have the required amount of shift, to me it just makes sense to render it and forget it.
pitch shifting generally sounds better offline, unless you're willing to put up with high latency.
Macc Wrote:...once you have the required amount of shift, to me it just makes sense to render it and forget it.

I can't honestly remember if it crashes before or during rendering. So will give it a go.
I use Madshifta by Smartelectronix. It's free and doesn't munch too much CPU, but I mainly use it for bloooooooddddclaaaaaaaat type effects so I don't know what it's like for more naturalistic things.

*reads thread*

Or as Bobule says, if you've got fat stacks of cash there's always Antares. Do you beliiieeeve...
dionysus Wrote:
Macc Wrote:...once you have the required amount of shift, to me it just makes sense to render it and forget it.

I can't honestly remember if it crashes before or during rendering. So will give it a go.

Right click the sample > plugins > waves > soundshifter P offline.

Try that Smile
Baffled are you sure pitch shifting is the best thing to do here? i don't know quite how you're working, i guess if its with audio that might be the easiest way, but generally the sound quality will be much better if you just pitch it by using traditional sampler style pitching rather than some kind of timestretch based thingy imo

samplers just play through the samples quicker or slower to change the pitch, whereas pitchshifting plays small chunks faster or slower and then uses some timestretching style algorithm to keep the length of the sound the same afaik, which if implemented badly gives you the crazy blooodddcllaaaarrttt style sound which is probably not what you want.

i dont use SX so i dont know how you'd achieve that but i think theres an option in the pitchshifting thingy to do it without any fancy length correction shizzle?

maybe pitch shifting is good enough these days that it wont affect the sound quality but i'm not convinced
All depends on what your requirements are, and what you use to achieve it.

I timestretch entire tunes (without drums) to make them fit together for my live show. Doesn't bother me as I do it only within reasonable boundaries, and use something very good to do it. That said, when it is all midi, I change the tempo of the original to get the bass at the right speed.

Smile
tyler Wrote:samplers just play through the samples quicker or slower to change the pitch, whereas pitchshifting plays small chunks faster or slower and then uses some timestretching style algorithm to keep the length of the sound the same afaik, which if implemented badly gives you the crazy blooodddcllaaaarrttt style sound which is probably not what you want.
I can't think why it wouldn't be.
Slothrop Wrote:
tyler Wrote:samplers just play through the samples quicker or slower to change the pitch, whereas pitchshifting plays small chunks faster or slower and then uses some timestretching style algorithm to keep the length of the sound the same afaik, which if implemented badly gives you the crazy blooodddcllaaaarrttt style sound which is probably not what you want.

uh?
tyler Wrote:
Slothrop Wrote:

uh?
I was expressing surprise that any sane person would want elements of their tune (apart from an amen and an 808 sub) that doesn't consist of a massively timestretched ragga vocal going blooooddddclaaaaaaarrrrrt muuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrddddaaaaaaaaa and so on. If it was good enough for Remarc it should be good enough for you.
dionysus Wrote:Will a sampler do the job?

Cheers. Smile

Thats what samplers do. pitch the sample by the key/note you press. Old samplers use to actually speed (pitch) it up/down. but kontakt and other s/w samplers can change the note with out changing the speed of the playback.

Pitch is different to timestretch. samplers use both together to achieve note change with out chaging the speed of playback.

Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed/Pitch when Processing a Break Reximus 12 8,718 24th May 2012, 02:10
Last Post: Abend
  Pitch Shift plugin - midi controlled klimo 5 5,781 9th January 2009, 16:07
Last Post: klimo
  Test your pitch perception ability flx 17 3,570 27th November 2006, 12:35
Last Post: beckett
  Falling Sine/Pitch dropping Sub Xaf 21 5,694 15th September 2004, 14:52
Last Post: dsp