Green Light for Nuclear Fusion Project

14 Replies, 4425 Views

From Mondays Times newspaper...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk...373748.ece

Quote:A British-led team of scientists has won European Union approval to seek to make nuclear fusion, the physicist’s dream, a reality.

Nuclear fusion has the potential to solve the world’s energy crisis with carbon-neutral technology by harnessing the process that drives the Sun. So far, decades of research have generated little more than hype.

The energy needed to stoke the vast temperatures at which such reactions can occur still outweighs the energy they produce, and supposed breakthroughs such as “cold fusion” have turned out to be false dawns. Physicists joke that they have been predicting the technology is “30 years away” for the past 30 years.

The British-led team will use lasers to start fusion reactions that generate more energy than they consume and they have won the backing of an influ-ential EU science panel, The Times can disclose. The decision paves the way for a seven-year, £500 million programme to construct an experimental reactor based on a revolutionary technique that could make fusion a commercial reality within two decades.
Related Links
The gene that explains why some people walk tall
Britain’s Atlantis under the North Sea

The prototype for the Hiper (high energy laser fusion research) project is likely to be built in Britain, using the world’s most powerful laser to generate temperatures of millions of degrees at which fusion can occur.

A purely civilian facility, it will build on research at a US military laboratory which is expected within the next five years to use a form of laser fusion to produce more energy than it consumes. Hiper will then develop a slightly different laser technique that is more suitable for commercial use.

If it works, laser fusion power stations could be supplying most of the world’s energy needs by the middle of the century, replacing fossil fuels and nuclear fission with a technology that produces next to no greenhouse gases or long-lived radioactive waste.

The Hiper approach has been endorsed by peer-reviewers for the European Commission, which is now negotiating with the scientists over support for the first phase of the project. The EU is also backing a different approach, a reactor to be built in France by 2016 will not use lasers, but conventional “hot fusion” contained by superconducting magnets.

“Fusion is basically nature’s solution to the energy problem,” said Mike Dunne, who leads the Hiper team. “It’s how the Sun and the stars work. We’re just a couple of years away from seeing it in the lab. The public will then be asking what’s next, and we’ll be in a position to take it forward. It is still a way off – this is not going to solve the immediate problem of greenhouse gases. But it should make sure we never again fall into the trap of polluting to meet our energy needs.”

Nuclear fusion involves merging two types of hydrogen atom – deuterium and tritium – to make helium, as well as neutrons that release vast quantities of energy. Almost limitless amounts of deuterium fuel can be made cheaply from seawater, tritium being produced as a byproduct in the reactor itself. Nuclear fusion produces only rudimentary radioactive waste, similar to that from hospital X-ray machines, and none of the high-level waste from fission reactors.

The extremely high temperatures at which the reaction takes place cost large amounts of energy to generate, and require magnetic containment facilities, as terrestrial materials would melt in contact with the reaction. Lasers can be used to create these temperatures efficiently, at the point of fusion, so that containment of the reaction becomes less of a problem.

A pulsed laser with a power of a petawatt (a million billion watts) is directed at a fuel pellet two millimetres across. The vast pressure this creates compresses the pellet to a diameter of few microns and generates temperatures of tens of millions of degrees, allowing fusion to begin.

Professor Dunne, of the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire, said: “To put that in perspective, it [the laser] is 10,000 times the power of the entire UK National Grid. And then you’re going to focus that down onto a spot that’s 10 to 100 times smaller than the width of a human hair. The pressure is equivalent to 10 Nimitz class aircraft carriers sitting on your thumb. Some pretty crazy things are going to happen, and that’s what we’re about.”

Cost of the programme to construct an experimental react
£500m

The laser has 10,000 times the power of the entire UK National Grid
about time we started to invest more in this kind of research. Personnal I think the superconducting magnets technique will be the winner but who knows.
I thought they'd already built a test reactor in france or somewhere Baffled
This is the kind of thing we need Grin
Statto Wrote:I thought they'd already built a test reactor in france or somewhere Baffled

Thats a particle accelerator I think.
Shiva Wrote:
Statto Wrote:I thought they'd already built a test reactor in france or somewhere Baffled

There's one on the Swiss-French border, yeah...can't remember where exactly though and can't be arsed to even google it :P But stuff they're doing down there is purely amazing - accelerating particles to such speed that they break into quarks and then observing they're movement to check for the Big Bang theory and other experiments related to that sort of stuff Smile Icon_eek
cram Wrote:
Shiva Wrote:

There's one on the Swiss-French border, yeah...can't remember where exactly though and can't be arsed to even google it :P But stuff they're doing down there is purely amazing - accelerating particles to such speed that they break into quarks and then observing they're movement to check for the Big Bang theory and other experiments related to that sort of stuff Smile Icon_eek

[Image: CMS_Higgs-event.jpg]

Simulated event at showing "Higgs boson"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

They are going to build one soon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER
qµ:rec Wrote:
statto Wrote:i thought they'd already built a test reactor in france or somewhere Baffled

they are going to build one soon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/iter

my avavtar is the joint european torus.

iter is the next step in tokamak design for magnetically confined plasma. Falcon
Giant laser experiment powers up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7972865.stm

Smiley
Statto Wrote:Giant laser experiment powers up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7972865.stm

Smiley

I saw a programme about that on Discovery science the other week.
Freaky stuff!!

There's some interesting stuff going on with Hot fusion and the usual giant magnets and the like in South Korea at the moment too. Yes
very interesting stuff
I just wouldn't want to live within a couple thousand
miles of where they test this gizmo
because a lot of it is theoretical and also they are going to be dealing with
massive amounts of energy, and if something goes seriously wrong, who knows what could happen
but honestly this stuff is prob really safe especially when compared to nuclear energy...
then again wouldn't want a nuclear power plant next door either!
but I am pretty sure within 200 mi of were I live there are atleast 10 reactors prob more because of los alamos nat labs and also sandia nat labs
also about 8 mi from where i'm staying now is the four hills storage facility
which last I heard housed the majority of the usa's nuclear arsenal...
it's scary to think about what all could be going on around here
either way I have no idea, they don't talk much about what is going on at those labs
but one things for sure it's some serious shit
awesome.... its sort of interesting that after decades of research, they just needed this petawatt laser which weren't really developed until 10 years ago..

so whats going on with this? The energy released upon the creation of hydrogen and neutrons happens when the protons get so close that their repulsion is overided by the attraction of gluons (strong nuclear force) , hence releasing lots of energy similar to an atomic bomb... but where I am confused is how is all the energy released contained? Where does the 17 megawatts go? I suppose it is held inside with a incredibly strong magnetic field?

what if something happened similar to the LHC, the helium leaking from the supermagnets? If it occured while in the process of fusion wouldn't that be like setting off an h-bomb? well, Im sure these guys know what they are doing and have all the safeguards in place.... but that is sort of scary. It makes me wonder if a more efficient approach to solar energy would be a safer bet in the long run.... its currently at 20% but plants can do 95%....

thank you wikipedia for helping shed more light on this Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion

Its like if you play with fire your gonna get burned, but if you play with the sun your gonna get vaporized Grin
There was a panorama about fusion last month I think. Doubt it is still on iplayer but you might find it somewhere.
qµ:rec Wrote:

They are going to build one soon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

or possibly not:

Fusion falters under soaring costs

Neutral

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SCI / TECH nuclear fusion Statto 10 4,080 17th March 2018, 14:44
Last Post: josh-hill
  RELEASE OUT NOW: FR.OM & FLAT GREEN - MINDFIELDS EP (OmniEP123) Euphony 0 1,341 11th June 2017, 08:04
Last Post: Euphony
  Fusion anyone? cycom 3 2,199 18th April 2017, 23:34
Last Post: Statto
  giant laser produces nuclear fusion Statto 1 1,874 13th February 2014, 14:31
Last Post: Roo Stercogburn
  The Fusion Con Statto 85 16,189 3rd March 2012, 11:59
Last Post: rondema