New synths appreciation

61 Replies, 5426 Views

well not exactly new but sort of a re-discovery so to speak.

got hold of 2 new vsti's this morning and have been putting them through their paces and have been mightily impressed.

1st being discovery dsp pro

a proper synth in every word,infact it's as close as i've got to having a virus in the pc Icon_eek

a bit expensive though (149 euros) and for that money it doesn't out perform surge,which is cheaper but superior in a lot of departments.
but still if u can get hold of a demo of dsp pro,try it & trust me u won't be dissapointed.

2ndly 'synth 1'

had this when it 1st came out & thought it was very mediocre but the japanese guy who created this has updated it late last year & after a few recommendations from various 'minimal techno' producers i thought i'd give the updated version a try.

completely not the synth i remembered!!!

very capable nord lead emulator,although doesn't sound and respond exactly like the nord lead it has a lot of it's 'sound character' so it's a doddle getting those harsh fm sounds (wicked for metalheadz ripoffs Icon_razz)
huge analog pads and stabs and of course that 'dirty bass' that the nords are infamous for.

so all in all it's been a good day in the vsti/synth world and i'd thoroughly recommend those 2 beaut's to anyone who's into synthesizers and has a pc.

Xyxthumbs

p.s. ignore all the soundbanks on synth1 and get programming on your own sounds immediately as the presets r dreadful & not even worthy as a starting point for your own sound creations Icon_sad
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D
so at the mo my synth weapons of choice r

Firebird
Reaktor 5 (Carbon 2 & Virux Dreams mostly)
Surge
Albino 3 (it's like a big brother who competes in the UFC that u turn to to beat up all the neighbourhood bullies.You don't always wanna call on him but u know when u call him he'll more than get the job done!)
Discovery dsp Pro
and now also Synth 1-though I have a shitload of programming to do to fill it up with decent sounds.

and I've also been dabbling into Vanguard' but that kinda has a very limited appeal and is really only useful for those huge trancey type arps & leads which I don't really have much use for at the mo.

Chuck D
i really like native instruments massive, very quick to program and a bit more flexible than surge, and sounds great
Just realised that I ain't used a synth in ages Baffled Smiley
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
tyler Wrote:i really like native instruments massive, very quick to program and a bit more flexible than surge, and sounds great

sounds 'BIIIIIGGGGG'

but is unbelievably monstrous on the cpu aswell Icon_cry

will have to leave that one alone until I can get hold of a super duper quad core badboy 'self loving' pc

Chuck D
Macc Wrote:Just realised that I ain't used a synth in ages Baffled Smiley

technically u have...

a sampler is just a synthesizer where u load your own waveforms so technically.....

You're wrong and I'm right :P

Chuck D
Ya big bellend Roll Hahaha
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Lol

sorry about being so pedantic.

Chuck D
[Image: synth1.gif]

probably sounds crap, with such a GUI Teef
That thing was always 'not bad', but I'd be interested to see how much it has improved.

Actually, that's a lie. I couldn't be fukt Hahaha
oh,ok.

Chuck D
titanium Wrote:probably sounds crap, with such a GUI Teef

depends on the guy programming it.

Just because I can get amazingly wonderful sounds of it doesn't mean you can.

:P

Chuck D
ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:Just because I can get amazingly wonderful sounds of it doesn't mean you can.

that's all in the ear of the beholder Wink

how about rob paapen's BLUE ? luv it !!
u do?

I guess u like Rob Papens presets aswell :P

just joking.

Blue isn't something I've got round to demo'ing yet but it is a Rob Papen creation so it should be above average regardless!

Chuck D
Macc Wrote:Ya big bellend Roll Hahaha

Hahaha Hahaha
Been using surge a lot lately... running it out through my newly acquired sherman filter, I'm just proper Icon_eek Hyper Lovesmilie The filth it puts on bass is wicked, they weren't kidding when they said the sherman doesn't do nice Twisted
ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:u do?

just joking.

Blue isn't something I've got round to demo'ing yet but it is a Rob Papen creation so it should be above average regardless!

Hahaha nah man, i find a lot of joy in creating my own sounds. for fm/ringmoddish stuff blue is really good imo.
markgabba Wrote:Been using surge a lot lately... running it out through my newly acquired sherman filter, I'm just proper Icon_eek Hyper Lovesmilie The filth it puts on bass is wicked, they weren't kidding when they said the sherman doesn't do nice Twisted

u have a sherman filter bank????

I've been using one for the past 10 years or so,fucking wicked creation!!!

although sometimes I wish it would behave itself and just act like any normal fucking filter Icon_sad

but what can u do.

Chuck D
titanium Wrote:
ALPHA OMEGA Wrote:u do?

just joking.

Hahaha nah man, i find a lot of joy in creating my own sounds. for fm/ringmoddish stuff blue is really good imo.

I'm only messing man,just pulling your gugglywoowoo and all that.

Chuck D
alpha omega Wrote:although sometimes i wish it would behave itself and just act like any normal fucking filter Icon_sad

Lol yeah... you want a simple low pass filter No
you want your signal totally brutalized.. Yes no problems there Hahaha

got it off ebay for 300 quid a few weeks ago and i love it to bits
Fucking hell Mark! Hahaha You only mentioned it the other week and now you've got it already *shakes head* Hahaha
Oops saw it on ebay and... well

It is a beast !!
it is...and for re-sampling sounds and processing and going on a mad one it's the absolute dogs bollix/grand daddy!!!!

I've put whole sections of my songs thru it for intros and stuff (malfunctions on archive is best example)

an unreal processor but not a traditional filter at all.

Have u seen the Sherman Q that the Chemical Bros use????

2grand and it's like a godzilla version of the filterbank.

pure Icon_eek

Chuck D
yep i bet that quad filter is scary though Nervous
Lol
Colin Lindo guide to synthesis or STFU Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The new Korg Volca synths.. Ben Kei 4 5,582 24th April 2013, 23:22
Last Post: KKND
  iPad synths denaris 9 8,900 24th November 2012, 01:29
Last Post: Ben Kei