I think it is going to be

55 Replies, 2504 Views

THIS

[Image: VT747-S.jpg]

http://www.avalondesign.com/vt747sp.html

Been searching for a reasonably priced (still fucking expensive!!) one-box solution for top bollocks compression with a decent hardware eq.

Does absolutely everything I want from a single box, bar possibly parametric eq. But it does have a very broad-q'ed no-nonsense tonal shaping passive eq. So corrections with something in the box before going into this, and BOOF.

Driveable input? check (even has a +10dB button for the purpose)
Top notch compression? check (by all accounts)
Eq'able sidechain with key listen? check
Suitable general purpose attack and release times? check
6-band passive no fucking about simple shaping eq? check
Eq swtchable pre/post eq? check
Switchable tube/discrete class A signal path? Check
Built like a brick shithouse (apparently)? check

Just a few months of scrimping-no-eating-hermit-living-hard-working bizzle, and it will be mine. Oh yes... It will be mine.

Homerdrool
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
badmon!
i remember reading a knowledge article Oops were fellowship was absolutely splaffing over these saying how it was the most important thing in his studio and he just did everything on the computer and ran it through that and it gave the whole sound a really nice character etc etc
Everyone give me loads of mastering work nownownow Teef
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Hahaha you made a check list

but what i really wanna know is did you make a little database on excel with columns for each unit you were considering and pros and cons in the rows?
i just czecked it on dig village

ouch !
^ What, the cost? It's a very good price really!

I've probably spent that on UAD plugs... Now for one superbox that does everything the PC can't Twisted
Will Macc ever be happy with the equipment he owns?!

a) No, never b) No, but will pretend he is c) Laura will put a stop to it all d) Who?
Shut up and send me money Teef
Its a great box bob, especially for mix, but there are two or three eq units Id go for before the avalon for mastering duties.

with respect to compression - check it out first. I dont know if its the same comp as my 737SP, but the compressor on that is known to be the weakest part of the box. Love the EQ, love the sound of the Pre, but very rarely use the comp.

Have a listen first padre!
Macc Wrote:Shut up and send me money Teef

Lol
scope Wrote:Its a great box bob, especially for mix, but there are two or three eq units Id go for before the avalon for mastering duties.

with respect to compression - check it out first. I dont know if its the same comp as my 737SP, but the compressor on that is known to be the weakest part of the box. Love the EQ, love the sound of the Pre, but very rarely use the comp.

Have a listen first padre!

Indeed... The thing is that for the same money you'll get a comp or an eq, and the comp and eq here are pretty much guaranteed to be better than most ITB. Plus there the creative uses of it for parts in the mix with the tube path etc...

Any other suggestiong in that price range for all-in-one boxes like that? I haven't found any that appealed to me as much as the Avalon.

And shut up and send me money all of you, or I'll shut you all down.
Solid state wise, the X-Rack from SSL sounds very sweet, and has a lot of advantages (automatable, completely modular - and a config with the bits you want isnt that expensive).
But as you know the SSL sound is far removed from the sound of tubes.
That being said, its just a different sound. It still kicks ass.

Also have a look at:

- Millenia Origin STT-1
- Tube Tech MEC-1A
ohh, now tube tech stuff i like :d *off to google*

edit

Quote:the tube-tech mec 1a recording channel is a one channel recording unit

Quote:origin stt-1 ($2,895) is a mono recording channel

Neutral = ~£4000 for two channels. No plus no stereo link for compression etc... stereo all the way baby!
oh btw, i dig the x-rack idea, but it has way too much potential for expansion Lol

plus the ssl sound isn't what i am after No i want a little more versatility at all points in the chain, and that avalon thang has that Yes

oh, and the only other things i am really considering would be the langevin mini massive, simply cos, well... i don't have to justify that i just fucking want it, and the spl kultube premium with the transformer upgrade cos, well, i don't have to justify that either for the same reasons Lol

but both of those together would be double the cost of the avalon... so you can see why i keep coming back to it.
that avalon sure does look good. Icon_eek

maybe i need one too..... Lol
bare
Macc Wrote:Oh yes... It will be mine.

Homerdrool

"Read the sign." *No Stairway to Heaven sent through this box*

Looks dope. Scope's recommend of Millenia Origin STT-1 is good. That thing owns.
"And I think it's going to be a long long time..."
tyler Wrote:i remember reading a knowledge article Oops were fellowship was absolutely splaffing over these saying how it was the most important thing in his studio and he just did everything on the computer and ran it through that and it gave the whole sound a really nice character etc etc

i read that same article...fellowship has a really cool sound.

j

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
@ Scope - I have read some very mixed opinions on the compressor - some love it, some hate it. It takes a bit of getting to know is the general sentiment from long time users - he meter behaves a little oddly.

But everyone absolutely loves the eq, tubes (Sovtek Hyper ) and so on... I am sure I can get that compressor to do my bidding... because.....

I JUST WON ONE ON EBAY FOR £995!!!

£1700 NEW, GOT IT FOR A GRAND!

I AM NOW ABSOLUTELY FUCKING SKINT BUT WHO CARES!

WOOOOHOOOO!

Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee Icon_yippee
blimey!
best hope a behringer mdx2200 doesn't show up in the box then.
I'm going to pick it up Grin
oooooooooooooo thats a spicy meatball
Got it right next to me here Grin But no-one's got the feckin cables I need JEDIcrying
Oh yeah, I have this arriving tomorrow too Smiley

http://www.mercenaryaudio.com/splstvimksos.html

It's ON now.