do you play an instrument?

28 Replies, 3761 Views

more importantly:if so - do you think it helps you generate ideas bettter?

I used to pl;ay bass and im looking to get a drumkit in the hope that I can jam and get a better idea of rhythms and stuff - my programmed beats arennt funky AT ALL Icon_sad i think they lack that human element if you know what i mean. im wicked at bass tho - cos I used to play it.
i think i need to get a kit so i can fuck around when things in `the box` are gettin a bit stale... does anyone do this?do you get better results from doin it?
I don't play any instruments. But sitting at a computer all the time is, imo, not healthy. I would love to join a band. Also,...learning music theory would speed up the melody writing process.
Alto Sax
Drums

Deffo helps!

When I play stuff on the sax, it always sounds different somehow, it's like a breath of fresh air. If i've got a melody in a tune i'm unsure about, on some weird sci-fi sound I created, i'll play it on the sax and it, sort of, puts it in a context; you hear it from a different perspective.

As for drums, I just mic them up, play for an hour with no plans and listen back to the recordings when I need inspiration. Grin
[Insert signature here]
Drums, trumpet, bass a bit, guitar, keys a very little bit...

It all helps Grin Having that shit in your sould does no harm at all - I can't feckin stop things bubbling up, although often it's at thoroughly inappropriate or inconvenient times Hahaha

Most often the computer gets in the way and slows things down rather than helping, but then it does allow me to capture ideas a lot better than a post-it note or the voice recorded on my phone... Although saying that, a lot of the more recent things I've done actually feature that original idea recording somewhere in them Smile
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
guitar and keys, yes i use em all the time - even if i end up replacing the parts - its a good inspiration starter
Drums

Was, rather. Drumming's fun but I'm not that passionate about it anymore. Nowadays I really want to learn piano.

I think learning a melodic instrument is the best way of learning harmony and really internalising that knowledge so you can draw on it automatically without thinking. Some can learn theory on paper but it's only ever gotten me so far. I learn by doing.

Of course, to be a dnb producer or whatever, yes, you can just use your ears and not know any theory (hey, Shadow made Endtroducing without any musical training). It all depends on the sound you're after in your music. Personally, while I'm not much of a jazz fan, I love all the jazz-influenced harmonies in stuff like Mahavishnu, electric Miles and composers like Steve Reich. Always wanted to have that sound in my music... somehow or another.

My problem lately is finding the time to devote to both piano practice and learning to produce tunes on the laptop. Both seem to need so much dedication that I can never balance the two. Icon_cry
played guitar since i was a wee little vagabond
synthesizer
drum machine
cornet (grade 4)
piano
djembe
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
double bass. it helps for creativity, although it can kill because imo the more you know about music the more you start thinking when writing

'ooh should i really use that b9 against the v7 chord cause it's actually suggesting a major resolution'

Roll

but as already mentionned, great for seeing/hearing things in a different context Xyxthumbs
skinflute...

and bass guitar / guitar since i was young.

i'm a pretty mean egg-shaker shaker as well.
i find different instruments help with interesting chord voicings.

j

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
Violin since 17 years, although I made a pause for the last 2 years. Instead I was playing Viola, so I stayed in the family Wink

Piano, but it's only basic skills I have on it.

And now I'm getting slowly into using my comp properly in order to get results that I actually can call music Grin
nowt really Icon_sad
can construct a few simple chords.
can play the mpc as an instrument Teef Oops
have an indian santoor, cant play it.
can scratch a bit....

should of kept the piano lessons up them years ago.
There are more musicians here than I expected! Maybe we should get on a big collaboration. Grin
[Insert signature here]
cube Wrote:should of kept the piano lessons up them years ago.

I wish I'd had any at all! I love tinkling the ivories but far from competent. My main interest is in 'percussion' more than full kit drumming, tho i'm trying.

Oh yeah and I can play a tenori-on. When it gets delivered at work Teef
I used to play piano for about 7 years, haven't played for the past few though....
I played bass for years, a small bit of piano, and a bit of guitar too.
these days it's 95% computer based.
I used to be fairly competent at the harmonica too.
i once held a b sharp for so long it blew buster keatings socks off and i had to buy him a large bucket of chicken and some lemon sorbet to apologise

im thinking about starting a new instrument either brass or woodwind, clarinet or oboe Lovesmilie something about that kind of pale dulcit tone you get from a clarinet i wouldnt mind exploring
I'm starting to get the hang of the C major scale. Hyper
It's a good one that Smile
dodz Wrote:I'm starting to get the hang of the C major scale. Hyper

On?

Hahaha if it is guitar Grin
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Yeah, guitar primarily.......when I really have it on piano, I'll be happy.

Speaking in the braoder sense......C major holds tremendous power.

Rainbow
dodz Wrote:Yeah, guitar primarily.......when I really have it on piano, I'll be happy.

Speaking in the braoder sense......C major holds tremendous power.

Rainbow

I recommend you learn Poulenc's Novelette No.1
never has C Major sounded so lovely

Lovesmilie
i play distortion effect unit. Falcon
In C Major?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logic 7 multi instrument setup Breaker 5 1,919 1st October 2007, 01:58
Last Post: choronzon
  working with chopped instrument samples djfada 7 1,586 21st September 2007, 16:14
Last Post: djfada
  high end instrument patch cable? (scope?) dodz 18 4,902 25th November 2005, 15:56
Last Post: Macc
  post a picture of your instrument(s) jake 22 4,992 13th June 2005, 18:29
Last Post: Coop
  do you play an instrument? jake 23 5,002 21st February 2005, 20:00
Last Post: BigEye