thelonious monk

18 Replies, 2275 Views

watch this with no sound first...if you can hold out...

infinitely incredible
lulu's back in town

this whole collection is outstanding
boh Smiley
Lee Morgan playing I Remember Clifford (linked for me to watch later!)...

http://pushapixel.com/?p=109

Hyper
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Thelonious Monk Lovesmilie

I don't think I've ever seen anyone play with such a unique style. Legend.
[Image: pezholiodoa.gif]

batfink Wrote:bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK NORK NORK bwabba bwabba bwabba NORK NORK bwabba NORK.
pez Wrote:i don't think i've ever seen anyone play with such a unique style. legend.

indeed. if you've ever heard him playing solo, he sounds all over the place: no timing, no rhythm, loads of bum notes and mistakes. but add bass and drums and it all makes sense rhythmically. and look at any transcription of his playing and you realize that the 'mistakes' are intentional because they couldn't be made accidentally.

Falcon
statto Wrote:indeed. if you've ever heard him playing solo, he sounds all over the place: no timing, no rhythm, loads of bum notes and mistakes. but add bass and drums and it all makes sense rhythmically. and look at any transcription of his playing and you realize that the 'mistakes' are intentional because they couldn't be made accidentally.

Falcon

i might have felt like that about his solo playing years ago, when i was first getting into monk and he still seemed sort of 'novel' to me as a musician.

these days i can't help but hear him swinging like an absolute bastard under any circumstances.

i think that's one of the things that developes more and more over time with jazz.....the way your brain starts to 'fill in' all the stuff that isn't there. the best players know how to play silence just as well as anything else.
chunky chromatic rhythm..pure badness.

j

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
thelonius monk has by far the tightest sense of rhythm around.

j

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
http://www.jazzicons.com/ji_monk.html

^^^ this is a fantastic dvd, if you're into monk.

as a matter of fact, i've been thoroughly impressed with the entire jazz icons series.

the coltrane one fucking kiiiiiiiiills!!!111 Falcon
My Grandad is loving this Grin

He wants to know if he can download them though, and I can't see them here at work... Can anyone sort him out? Smile
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Bump Icon_question
dodz Wrote:http://www.jazzicons.com/ji_monk.html

^^^ this is a fantastic dvd, if you're into monk.

as a matter of fact, i've been thoroughly impressed with the entire jazz icons series.

the coltrane one fucking kiiiiiiiiills!!!111 Falcon

i just picked up straight no chaser biography...great read so far Xyxthumbs
SKRUB AUDIO UPDATED 5/2009 SMP 48-WHAT MUSIC?-Late Spring '09 Mix
Just learnt my first Monk tune Icon_yippee

I recorded it on my iRiver and put it here .

It's only the third time I've played it in this recording, so forgive the sloppy low G, and also the stupid rubbish improv in the middle (it said to do it in the book Grin). I'm only just really starting to improvise a bit and my lips and fingers and head don't always do the right things together at the same time Hahaha

I thought I'd put it online as I have been playing the horn for two years this week Grin In fairness, I am pretty pleased with my progress despite not being an amazing horn player, objectively speaking. I'm getting better though, I can feel it. Cool
straight no chaser was the first jazz album I ever bought and I would say the album that got me into jazz
repost-d'oh! see below\/\/\/\/
SKRUB AUDIO UPDATED 5/2009 SMP 48-WHAT MUSIC?-Late Spring '09 Mix
Falcon
Macc Wrote:Just learnt my first Monk tune Icon_yippee

I recorded it on my iRiver and put it here .

It's only the third time I've played it in this recording, so forgive the sloppy low G, and also the stupid rubbish improv in the middle (it said to do it in the book Grin). I'm only just really starting to improvise a bit and my lips and fingers and head don't always do the right things together at the same time Hahaha

I thought I'd put it online as I have been playing the horn for two years this week Grin In fairness, I am pretty pleased with my progress despite not being an amazing horn player, objectively speaking. I'm getting better though, I can feel it. Cool

will check this out when i get home...how's your embouchure coming? Smile
Up and down, but over time, definitely up Smile

Trumpet playing is SO HARD. But I love it despite/because Baffled of it Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DJ Monk - Deal Wid It / Give Me Some More (K.L.P Records) DIB 1 1,899 21st September 2014, 10:12
Last Post: stemface
  Frontline 6th Oct: DJ Monk/Hopa/Threshold/Voyager/DJ Trax/Teebone/Tim Taylor.. antidote uk 4 2,520 6th October 2013, 12:37
Last Post: antidote uk
  Advice from Thelonious Monk Don Rosco 7 1,448 15th January 2009, 14:49
Last Post: tyranny
  Kung-Fu Monk-National geographic now! ALPHA OMEGA 0 626 5th March 2007, 21:14
Last Post: ALPHA OMEGA
  Thelonious Monk fucked up my deck SETI 6 2,276 1st September 2006, 14:53
Last Post: SETI