blofeld

19 Replies, 8577 Views

this little bad boy looks the shit

[Image: blofeld_flokati_600px.jpg]

a few downfalls on the hardware side (lack of audio via usb and 1 midi port but synthesis wise Xyxthumbs

http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/products/b...d_overview

with a decent controller this synth looks to be very very good check youtube or the site for demos

£290 from thomann
[Image: henry-blofeld.jpg]
Statto Wrote:[Image: henry-blofeld.jpg]

Hahaha
Lovely synth, Aggers.
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
from that link:
waldorf website Wrote:[Image: blofeld_teaser_600px.jpg]

This one got my name on it

For many yearss I trrick and tweek all ziss syntesizing maschinery to produce hyooch aural vibrationss. Bat zey are all not capable to produce a sound so powerfull and fäät like I need for ze big explosionss.

Zey are so big and so many zat I cannot take on the journeys, you know? My very german Waldorf syntesizing scientists heff now developed a new sintesizing maschine viz ze power of many, many maschines inside! It is so strong, I cannot believe. My enemies vill be very surprised, yes! Höh höh.

wtf Hahaha
like the 'fading' demo on their site Smile sounding good
tyler Wrote:Höh höh.

Hahaha
Paradigm X Wrote:
tyler Wrote:Höh höh.

Hahaha

Lol
checked the audiosamples of it and wasnt too impressed tbh, it sounds like, well any other sound you can crank out yer trusty old vst's and there was a hideous noise in one of the arpeggiator samples.
No Thumbd
just a rehash of old q/xt code in a new box afaik..
I have a few simple questions (yet hard for me) about the Blofeld and audio tracks.

If I have a single midi track with a midi sequence and a single sound from the blofeld, what is the best way to record this sequence (during live editing) into an audio track? Or, if there is some way of record mod information over the midi channel before making an audio track?

And, is there a way of having more than one midi sequences with a single sound through like 5 midi channels in Cubase? Eg. running several sequences from the Blofeld all at once.

I am a bit tired so these questions may be hard to understand but let me know if I have to try to explain a bit more thoroughly.
What's your setup?
How's your MIDI routed?
Cu-base can handle all that for sure as long as it's set up correctly.
elektrovert Wrote:What's your setup?
How's your MIDI routed?

Edirol UA25EX - http://www.rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/Prod...nt_gal.jpg

Cubase 4 Essential

Blofeld (usb only so far)

Oxygen 8 V2 midi controller.

The midi from Oxygen is plugged into the desktop, and the midi from the blofeld is also plugged into the desktop... I updated the driver so it recognizes the synth and managed to send it to a midi channel. However, I noticed that Cubase have shut down unexpectedly a few times since I plugged in my Blofeld.
I bought a pair of audio cables today, so now I'm good to go soundwise. Still need to figure out the channel settings and recording issues.
I had one for a few months, just sold it on eBay. Awesome sounding synth, although I found it to be a little too FM sounding - if that's the right thing to describe it as. Filters are awesome though.

Just it was £300 sitting on my desk completely unused at the moment and I'm thinking of taking a hiatus from music for a while once I finish studying (which alongside full time work takes a chunk of time up).

Can't help with your question. I was doing it the cheap and cheerful way of routing the audio through my Nov X Station and into the Mac via USB. Then any audio played I could capture via the X Station driver.
Spectraz Wrote:
How's your MIDI routed?

Cubase 4 Essential

The midi from Oxygen is plugged into the desktop, and the midi from the blofeld is also plugged into the desktop... I updated the driver so it recognizes the synth and managed to send it to a midi channel. However, I noticed that Cubase have shut down unexpectedly a few times since I plugged in my Blofeld.

OK, the only piece of gear from that setup I've used before is the Oxygen, so my advice mightn't be the best.
The Blofield has 16 parts, so you can run 16 parts at the same time.
make a midi channel in cubase, select the blofields midi out port from your routing section, set the midi channel to transmit on MIDI channel 1.
Repeat the procedure for all other midi channels.
that sets you up with your 16 channels for the Blofield.
when you select one of these channels in cubase you should be able to play it on the Oxygen.
You will also be able to select the presets through cubase too.

I'd imagine cubase's default setting is to recieve midi arriving at all midi ins, test this out by turning a dial on the Blofield and looking at the MIDI monitor, it should flicker as recieving info.
or select BLofield Midi channel 1 in cubase, select channel 1 in the blofield and hit record, when you adjust the filters or something on the blofiled the data should be recorded.
see if you can get that working.
Maybe someone who uses cubase would be better able to advise you.Grin
Does cubase have anything like the enviroment in logic?
I really think that the Alesis Ion/Micron is a really good new synth. the Micron being the most cost effective option.

Alesis stuff usually has really good D/A converters..and they offer different filters (modelling ARP, Moog, CEM, SSM etc) with operating system upgrades.

it's like a beefer version of the Yamaha AN dsp programming.

j

0=0
[Image: siggy.jpg]
magdusia Wrote:I just can't take it...omg omg...I just..I just can't...
elektrovert Wrote:
Spectraz Wrote:
How's your MIDI routed?

Cubase 4 Essential

OK, the only piece of gear from that setup I've used before is the Oxygen, so my advice mightn't be the best.
The Blofield has 16 parts, so you can run 16 parts at the same time.
make a midi channel in cubase, select the blofields midi out port from your routing section, set the midi channel to transmit on MIDI channel 1.
Repeat the procedure for all other midi channels.
that sets you up with your 16 channels for the Blofield.
when you select one of these channels in cubase you should be able to play it on the Oxygen.
You will also be able to select the presets through cubase too.

I'd imagine cubase's default setting is to recieve midi arriving at all midi ins, test this out by turning a dial on the Blofield and looking at the MIDI monitor, it should flicker as recieving info.
or select BLofield Midi channel 1 in cubase, select channel 1 in the blofield and hit record, when you adjust the filters or something on the blofiled the data should be recorded.
see if you can get that working.
Maybe someone who uses cubase would be better able to advise you.Grin
Does cubase have anything like the enviroment in logic?

I've had a few glasses of wine but here goes... I can create 16 midi channels, but is is correct that I only can access one patch/sound while I am using the Blofeld in these channels? In other words, I cannot use different sounds at the same time in different channels?

I don't understand the actual recording part at the moment but perhaps I'll have to ask a few friends to help me locally, but any help is appreciated!
Of course you can, you can't tweak them all live at the same time (not without a shit lot of controllers and a midi merge box at least), but you should be able to record them down (with MIDI) one at a time.

I'll take a look at the manual and get back to you.
This tutorial was quite helpful: http://www.waldorfmusic.de/assets/files/...torial.mov

I also downloaded the Blofeld manual http://www.waldorfmusic.de/assets/files/...manual.pdf so I should be able to figure some stuff out from now on. The only thing I am still concerned with is the recording to an audio track.

Main archive: http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/archive?relPath=/blofeld

Edit: Now I am also trying to install a patch name script for the Blofeld, but the Cubase 4 Essential manual doesn't seem to have information about it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FS: dm100, blofeld, mackie recorder, bitcrusher, nanocomp, AX73 analgue polysynth Paradigm X 8 9,456 14th February 2014, 17:18
Last Post: Paradigm X
  FS : Yamaha RM1x and Waldorf Blofeld white denaris 4 6,708 30th December 2013, 22:55
Last Post: denaris
  Free Blofeld appreciation Paradigm X 7 5,028 9th June 2011, 12:26
Last Post: denaris