Tascam Studio gear

3 Replies, 1656 Views

Any one ever use any??

Hows the build quality??

I'm considering the DM-4800 Mixer:

http://www.tascam.com/products/dm-4800.html

Anyone ever use one?

Ideally I'd like a 24bit O2R, but I haven't got the ballz to pull of the bank job I'd need to do to fund it. Roll

I'm currently using a 16bit O2R, do you think it's a decent move to make?

Or does the Tascam sound too good to be true?

I've only found a couple of commercial studios on the web using them.
Tascam Neutral

Sorry... I may be out of date as I haven't used their stuff in a while, but Neutral

Buy cheap buy twice.

Just looked - 3 grand!!?

For that money I'd probably get a proper 16-IO soundcard/converter (SSL, ask Scope!) and a reasonable 16 channel desk rather than that.

Or maybe (speculative) 16 proper DA channels , one proper stereo AD and a good desk. Run all sends etc on the desk (rather than via IO plugs), mix on the desk as usual and record back in via some proper AD. No recall but proper sound. I don't think Tascam's converters would be all that tbh.

In short, for that money you can get much better sound than I imagine that gives you, even if it means fewer channels and no recall.

IMO etc.
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
Cheers Macc,

That's kind of what I was expecting.

The SOS review of the 32 track version didn't have any bad points about the sound, it was mostly issues with the erganomics of the desk they seemed to have a problem with.

In any case it's definitely not something you can buy without trying first.
I kind of need 24 inputs and ADAT optical options to fit with my current set up, I'll have to keep an eye out for some second hand gear perhaps. hmmmm.......

I will have a think about a smaller mixer and some propper AD.
I'm sure Scope will have a better idea of suggestions...

I dunno, never been a fan of digital desks really. I used to work on a d8bh tiiime ago, and once the 'OHH THE FADERS MOVE!' thing wore off, I realised the effects were alright but not all that, and beyond recall there wasn't a lot of benefit really (not the way we mixed there). better to have anice analogue desk with some sound to it and then good conversion IMO.

But it's just my Friday afternoon post lunchtime bevvy HO Smile
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What gear do you regret selling? mattrick 44 8,426 16th February 2010, 02:19
Last Post: morphy
  Complete studio overhaul (and new gear) appreciation!! Ben Kei 19 4,275 17th August 2009, 22:38
Last Post: Shiva
  Now this man loves his UA gear Macc 4 1,458 18th April 2008, 20:28
Last Post: Senator Adam
  Logic with external gear question davetrax 4 1,777 15th May 2007, 05:21
Last Post: davetrax
  Old gear for sale Kachanski 8 1,895 9th November 2006, 13:48
Last Post: Kachanski