opinions on Bad Co?

47 Replies, 7397 Views

I first got into jungle/dnb based on the both the funkiness of the jazzier sounds, and the programming of the amen choppage, though at the time I became exposed to this music (1997) the techstep sound was beginning to grow.

I remember going to parties in 1998, and suddenly I was hearing this song that seemingly EVERY dj played...it had this strange technical sound to it, and there was a breakdown in it that made parties go wild, but somehow that tune NEVER spoke to me...that tune was the Nine.

The Nine appears to have been the tune that put them on the map, though they came out with other pieces that expanded the sound they were putting forth. As the progressed, and started tinkering more with that sound, it became apparent to me that I clearly was not in touch with what the masses appeared to be into. I mean, save for a few tunes (Trick of the Light and Ladies of Spain come to mind), I have never been able to really vibe with that BadCo sound.

perhaps this is a subject that's been gone over a bit here, and I missed those threads...if that's the case feel free to delete the thread so as to not rehash old discussions...but I guess my question is this:

considering this board seems to take on a fairly different attitude and ideology in terms of the approach to how this music is thought of and dealt with, and being that the BadCo sound doesn't really run in conjunction with much that is discusses and shared here, I'm just curious if there are BadCo fans/appreciators here, and what they're take is on how their music has perhaps helped or inspired what we on this board are trying to do.
1st two albums were cracking. Done some fantastic tunes.
truth agent Wrote:I first got into jungle/dnb based on the both the funkiness of the jazzier sounds, and the programming of the amen choppage, though at the time I became exposed to this music (1997) the techstep sound was beginning to grow.

I remember going to parties in 1998, and suddenly I was hearing this song that seemingly EVERY dj played...it had this strange technical sound to it, and there was a breakdown in it that made parties go wild, but somehow that tune NEVER spoke to me...that tune was the Nine.

The Nine appears to have been the tune that put them on the map, though they came out with other pieces that expanded the sound they were putting forth. As the progressed, and started tinkering more with that sound, it became apparent to me that I clearly was not in touch with what the masses appeared to be into. I mean, save for a few tunes (Trick of the Light and Ladies of Spain come to mind), I have never been able to really vibe with that BadCo sound.

perhaps this is a subject that's been gone over a bit here, and I missed those threads...if that's the case feel free to delete the thread so as to not rehash old discussions...but I guess my question is this:

considering this board seems to take on a fairly different attitude and ideology in terms of the approach to how this music is thought of and dealt with, and being that the BadCo sound doesn't really run in conjunction with much that is discusses and shared here, I'm just curious if there are BadCo fans/appreciators here, and what they're take is on how their music has perhaps helped or inspired what we on this board are trying to do.

I liked some of their stuff ! still do.
I liked the Nine for what it was but hated the countless copies.

My favourite stuff of theirs was on the "Inside The Machine" album.

"Trick Of The Light"

and especially "Silicon Dawn", the more break-orientated stuff basically.

Think D-Bridge is taking the best parts of the Bad Company sound and is doing more original things with it now.
i fuppin loved the NINE

promo whoare all the way and was playing stuff from Jonny L - Magnetic at the time.

IT WORKED

jesus was that over 10 yrs ago

I RETIRE
Still regularly play Ladies in Spain. Great great track.

Son of Nitrous, Nitrous and I don't care what anyone says (yeah yeah I love it cheesed up!) Planet Dust is a stonking (rinsed) track.

Some absolute howlers though.
Bullet Time about 3-4 years ago recaptured that old BC sound imo.

... and yes The Nine did work. It's a great track, just faaaaar to over played.
I like them a lot, Inside The Machine especially, Refuge EP, and Flashback(Tumpa).
I picked up the double cd of Inside The Machine Redux, primarily for the Lost & Found cd2. Interesting point: they stated which members of the four were involved on each track. To my suprise, most of the time it was simply Fresh & Vegas.

Trick Of The Light was Fresh on his own - go figure that one out.
WiLSHY Wrote:and I don't care what anyone says (yeah yeah I love it cheesed up!) Planet Dust is a stonking (rinsed) track.

true true TRUE

planet dust and speedball are BOTH some serious floor killers

and the badco mix of Mo Fire is a guilt pleasure of mine as well
truth agent Wrote:
WiLSHY Wrote:and I don't care what anyone says (yeah yeah I love it cheesed up!) Planet Dust is a stonking (rinsed) track.

true true TRUE

planet dust and speedball are BOTH some serious floor killers

I like Planet Dust.

way overplayed though.
chris.innocence Wrote:To my suprise, most of the time it was simply Fresh & Vegas.

yeah - they had a good 12" on Metro ...

"Otto's Way"
there was nothing quite like peaking face at a rave and hearing 'the nine' Wtf Twisted

RAAAAAAARRRRRRGHHH!!!!!!!
loved them, 98 was when I first got introduced to dnb. BC was amongst the movers and shakers at the time. The nine, 4 days, haunted, they were all smashing the floors at that time.

I still love the "inside the machine" and "digital nation" albums. They had some real heaters on em but as time goes by, I still can appreciate the songs. Truelly timeless.

The shining examples for me have been the more sci fi atmospheric stuff. I LOVE trick of the light, dead side, navajo ect. There were other tracks that broke the mold as well. Dreamthief I love for the twilight zone references, breathe w/ sage was a beuatiful song too.

The book of the bad volumes 1-3 were good as well... not great like the other albums, but good. I still have "numbers" in my box. It's the easiest song in the worlkd to mix, I'll normally make that my first mix If I'm opening up. If I can dial in the monitors and sound while micxing that track, I'll be good for the rest of the night. Other highlights from that was "silence"??? The third book of the bad is what I consider the downfall mark. BTW, Ladies of spain is brilliant, timeless tune.

Shot down on safari was nothing more than dancefloor fodder. I stopped buying bc after that.

my 2 cents.
olcyrus Wrote:ldead side

that was the one from Inside the Machine I couldn't think of the name of.

I caned that !
here is a mix I did a few years back of my favs

http://www.virb.com/olcyrus

Bad Company Recordings 99-02 tribute mix by Olcyrus
1-Dream Thief - Fierce
2-4 Days - BC
3-Grunge 2 (brittney speers edit) - BC
4-Hunted - BC
5-The Fear - BC
6-Son of Nitrous - Trace
7-Spacewalk - BC
8-Hysteria - BC
>>>The Nine>>>
9-The Voice - BC
10-Spider - BC
11-Night Train - BC
12-Brain Scan - BC
13-Breathe - BC feat Sage
14-The Running Man - BC
15-Hornet - BC
16-Torpedo - BC
17-Ladies of Spain - BC
18-Mo Fire - BC version
exile's mashed up live remix of the nine is better than the nine Xyxthumbs
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
first sort of drumandbass i ever heard, cos i didnt really get into buying stuff till about 98/99, but i soon went off the tech step stuff, i think mainly due to the way it got spoiled with all the fodder tunes that followed
olcyrus Wrote:here is a mix I did a few years back of my favs

http://www.virb.com/olcyrus

Bad Company Recordings 99-02 tribute mix by Olcyrus
1-Dream Thief - Fierce
I might have to check out this mix cause I'm really unfamiliar with the BC stuff. They kinda hit stage just as I departed.

Interested...

http://www.hardscore.com/articles/lazerdrome/
DO IIIIITTTT :0
interesting read Smile
pulled out the Inside The Machine LP to listen again, over the years, the tracks i like and liked.
back in the day Oxygen was my favourite track, possibly cause it's simple and heavy (sheesh, it sounded super-heavy then Hahaha ) dancefloor track. also i remember the time i first heard Silicon Dawn in Hype's set. great times!
they will always be one of the groups that i will credit for geting into dnb and i still grab used copies of tunes that i find used with glee but the more i listen the less i am impressed but they will always be apart of my dnb lexicon.
i liked dream thief, grudge 2, ladies of spain, dogs on the moon, the tune on the virus ep...uh, and their rmx of pressure drop (can't remember the name), but all the copycats at the time took away from their sound imho.
SKRUB AUDIO UPDATED 5/2009 SMP 48-WHAT MUSIC?-Late Spring '09 Mix
my fave bc toons in this mix

Hades aka Script Presents :
All Bad Company Mix

Colonies
Champion Sound Remix
Sentient
Hornet
Nitrous
Snowcat
Brain Scan
4 Days
The Pulse
Bullet Time
Torpedo
Womb
The Fear
Rush Hour
China Cup
Refuge
Silicon Dawn

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8jv50p3ga2o
i prefer

Future Cut - Whiplash

or

Dom & Roland - Can't Punish Me

than The Nine

never bought one Bad Company tune
i was a big fan, thought they were wicked Xyxthumbs
truth agent Wrote:opinions on Bad Co?

I like The Pulse Smile

and a couple of bits Fresh did around that time:
Morning Glory / Thunder and Rain
Otto's Way / Heatwave

as for all the rest:
I thought it was boring

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paradox- Play Twice Before Listening. Bad, bad, bad tune Utopian 17 3,332 22nd March 2010, 21:40
Last Post: Jungle Timewarp
  Opinions on swoopo? 'entertainment shopping' Ben Kei 7 1,964 5th February 2009, 01:34
Last Post: davetrax
  MR WEBB ARE YOU A BAD BAD MAN amon'' 5 773 13th June 2008, 16:19
Last Post: kodini
  MR LAW...YOU ARE A BAD BAD MAN truth agent 18 1,241 13th June 2008, 12:51
Last Post: Law
  Radiohead In Rainbows - opinions? Breaker 20 3,302 18th November 2007, 15:00
Last Post: JayDoubleU