Silence

39 Replies, 4991 Views

Does it even exist?
DUBPLATE (Retired)
John Cage would say no
Statto Wrote:John Cage would say no

Very true. One interpretation of his work 4'33'' is that the piece is comprised of whatever the "listener" hears during that time period. !!!! go figure

The sound of your own pulse in your ear - is there anything more annoying when you're tring to get to sleep.
DUBPLATE (Retired)
Not for people with tinnitus.
dubplate Wrote:
statto Wrote:john cage would say no

very true. one interpretation of his work 4'33'' is that the piece is comprised of whatever the "listener" hears during that time period. !!!! go figure

the sound of your own pulse in your ear - is there anything more annoying when you're tring to get to sleep.

haha yeah i can't fall asleep when it's too quiet either, i need a little background noise.
e.g. a friend of mine can't sleep without his tv running at lower volume
(which would drive me nuts because of that high-freq-hum, i barely can stand it whilst watching)

there is no silence per se,
but for me it is the moment when the only thing i can hear are my thoughts.
and paradoxically they can be really loud! Chin :d
even if you go in one of those chamber things, after a while dont you start to hear your blood circulating or some such niceness
I guess that's what being dead will be: total silence :shiver:
dubplate Wrote:The sound of your own pulse in your ear - is there anything more annoying when you're tring to get to sleep.

I can hear it in most environments unless there's very loud music with the inner vestibular nerve damage i have.

Been in a completely soundproofed room once at Plantronics (those who make the headset for phones etc) and that was a strange experience. Shut in it was the quietest experience I've ever had or likely to had - although you'd expect it in a soundproofed room. Hearing no sound reflections at all, more "dead" sounding than any studio I've been in.
we had one when i was last at college which had a set of drums in, what i couldnt understand was they had this amazing soundproofed booth that all the tutors never shut up about how it was so great and cost so much. Then they had the shittest set of drums you could imagine in it Baffled
djfada Wrote:even if you go in one of those chamber things, after a while dont you start to hear your blood circulating or some such niceness

anechoic chamber

yes, Cage went in, heard the sound of his heartbeat and the blood rushing through his veins, came out and said "one need not fear about the future of music" or something like that

Hahaha
djfada Wrote:we had one when i was last at college which had a set of drums in, what i couldnt understand was they had this amazing soundproofed booth that all the tutors never shut up about how it was so great and cost so much. then they had the shittest set of drums you could imagine in it Baffled

were they shit?
or was it just that the chamber made them sound shit?
like cardboard boxes

anechoic chambers are weird.
you don't notice all the little background noises and sound reflections off things, until they're not there.
it's really quite oppressive.

Nervous
yeh you could be right Smile

allthough the hihat pedal didnt even work Lol

the setup in general was a bit meh. They had a big grant for the drama and music department, and in the studio they had a big sweet as fook desk (dont ask me to remember what type) but then you had to monitor the whole thing through behringer truth monitors Neutral
I'm selling 5 minute mp3s of it if anyone's interested.
kris Wrote:i'm selling 5 minute mp3s of it if anyone's interested.

Chin

the masterings shit tho
needs more cowbell
^some good advice here
qµ:rec Wrote:needs more cowbell

Hahaha
needs more cunt
dubplate Wrote:Does it even exist?

Ask someone who's deaf. I'm pretty sure it exists.
One for Macc... how would you best master total silence? Hahaha

Even the relative silence of my village house in the dead of night is weird.
Its such an odd sensation you so rarely experience.
But of course you still have many different backgrounded noises.

Does total silence occur naturally even?
Is silence the same as not having the ability to hear?
cycom Wrote:
dubplate Wrote:does it even exist?

ask someone who's deaf. i'm pretty sure it exists.

hmm that would be interessting to know!
i mean the brain tends to generate impulses by itself when depraved of
outside impulses.
so what would happen if it never heard anything?
i once met a blind guy who claimed that in his dreams he can see.
and he's been blind since birth!
not sure if what he defines as seeing is the same as actual seeing,
but maybe there is some kind of memory of senses somehow encrypted
e.g. in our dna that makes the brain able to recreate it, even if it never
actually experienced such thing as seeing or hearing?

Chin Chin
woah. easy now.

Quote:Ask someone who's deaf.

Smile
i'm currently listening to scanner - mort aux vaches: accretions

1 clustal (4:01)
2 cotton steel (4:53)
3 scent (9:40)
4 jat scheelan (9:18')
5 preterite (8:39)

discogs Wrote:track 5 actually lasts 6 minutes 51 seconds: the rest of track is silence.

Chin
maybe theres a secret song
no, it's silence Smile