I'm going on a 3500 mile trip across europe on my bicycle!

44 Replies, 3842 Views

Hi all. Not posted in ages. Hope everything's cool. Been out of the dnb loop for 9/10 months now too, feels weird coming back on here (even though it's not a dnb forum).

Anyway, I know there's a shitload of European subverts probably reading this. Next year, i'm going through Europe on my bike and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any places to visit or decent dnb/jazz clubs to check out on my way. I'm still refining the route using google maps but here's the general idea:

Manchester
London
Across the Channel to France
Paris
Into Switzerland - Zurich
Up to Stuttgart, Germany
Berlin
Into Poland - Wroclaw
Krakow
Warszawa AKA Warsaw
Up into Vilnius, Lithuania
Kaunas
Latvia - Riga
Across to Stockholm, Sweden on the Ferry
Goteborg
Fredrickstad - Norway
Kristiansand
Ferry across to Newcastle
Back down to Manchester

I've got a super-lightweight racing bike which I can easily do 40mph on so, using that figure, I reckon I could do this trip in 20-25 days.

Can anyone recommend any nice places to check out in any of those countries?
[Insert signature here]
bhima Wrote:Across the Channel to France

You're cycling across the channel? Icon_eek
sounds good bhima. nice one!
my legs couldnt hack here to inner city manchester, 14 miles or so Lol
you gonna go flat out 40mph constantly eh? fair fucks.

Lol

i hope that bike has an oscilloscope so you can see the upcoming bends and stuff....
bhima Wrote:I can easily do 40mph

wtf?

I've got a quick bike too, but no way could I maintain 40mph unless I was blitzing it down a hill.

Sounds like a good trip though. I cycled through parts of Ireland over the summer.
it's the "easily" part thats killin me....

fuck it yeah, 40mph, not fucking problem. If i push myself, its 60mph all the fuckin way yo.
lol - Bhima, you won't be getting anywhere near 40mph 80% of the time. Only downhill sections. Then you've got junctions, traffic, roundabouts, etc etc.

I'd add another 20 days to that. You'd be pushing it in a car in 20 days with factoring in sleeping.

Good luck though!
Best of luck bhima!
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
WiLSHY Wrote:You'd be pushing it in a car in 20 days with factoring in sleeping.

Then you have to account for all the snaxxx you'll be stopping off to eat and stock up on.

Plus the mdma-charged fortnight you'll be spending in Berlin.

Realistically you're looking at several months here bhima...
aye, japery and urine extraction aside, good luck man, sounds like a top buzz.
Sir Loris Of Crowthorne Wrote:
WiLSHY Wrote:You'd be pushing it in a car in 20 days with factoring in sleeping.

Then you have to account for all the snaxxx you'll be stopping off to eat and stock up on.

Plus the mdma-charged fortnight you'll be spending in Berlin.

Realistically you're looking at several months here bhima...

Hahaha

Bare Euro E's
Haha! I meant 40mph is easy during the right conditions (smooth roads + low wind pressure). Long distance trips usually average 28mph for me because of traffic lights, wind etc... I've purposely chosen low-traffic routes through the countryside for this reason.

By the way, 40mph isn't very hard at all for me under the right circumstances because I've been cycling for years and have mastered tricks which allow me to bypass wind resistance using busses and trucks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstreaming
[Insert signature here]
damn dude, thats quite a ride!

props to you on pushing yourself to do something like this Xyxthumbs

best luck and be safe
Sir Loris Of Crowthorne Wrote:
bhima Wrote:Across the Channel to France

You're cycling across the channel? Icon_eek

Nah, they have a special carriage on the trains designed for bikes. It was about £14 last year, when I went to watch the tour de france.
are you at audiosalad tomorrow b?
bhima Wrote:by the way, 40mph isn't very hard at all for me under the right circumstances because i've been cycling for years and have mastered tricks which allow me to bypass wind resistance using busses and trucks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/slipstreaming

slipstreaming works, but behind busses and trucks ??? Chin
got a deathwish ?! Icon_razz
FACEPLANT CRU!!!
Well good luck, sounds far too hectic for me!
Wicked idea! Would love to do something like this.

Just dont put your foot in the spokes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQv2Zyzs07Q

Yeeeeeeooowzerz!

Best of luck Smile
@cube - had no idea it was on! i'll try and get down, although it's a bit short notice...

titanium Wrote:slipstreaming works, but behind busses and trucks ??? Chin
got a deathwish ?! Icon_razz

yeah, it works a treat! on countryside roads with no traffic lights, it's a lot safer because the vehicles usually never stop. if you want to do it on city roads, i'd suggest staying slightly to the right of the vehicle so that they can just about see you in the right-hand mirror. if they suddenly stop, you then have room to overtake them safely, as opposed to smashing into the back of them or having a close encounter with the curb.
bhima Wrote:mastered tricks which allow me to pass wind

Hyper
big up bhima for this trip! 20 - 25 days sounds feckin quick...

why not visiting vienna? Smile i guess because of the route...
its the 4th birthday bash, with ed rush, bailey + total science. at urbis. r.i.p. salad@joshua brooks
bhima Wrote:hi all. not posted in ages. hope everything's cool.

Wave
sounds sick!
i bet your thighs and calves will be in a top shape after the trip!

have mad fun dude Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going around europe by train Slothrop 0 1,907 13th February 2010, 00:33
Last Post: Slothrop
  mile end Jason oS 8 494 11th April 2007, 22:45
Last Post: Stacks
  after trying to settle down in Europe wizard 3 664 23rd September 2006, 16:05
Last Post: ALPHA OMEGA
  Million mile per hour Hammond socialengineer 3 449 21st September 2006, 23:28
Last Post: Matlib
  Okay maybe I'm moving to europe but... 8bits 17 2,036 12th April 2006, 16:16