Clipping / Distortion Question

14 Replies, 4698 Views

Hi lads,

Could one of the studio buffs explain this to me me or advise me?

I'm recording vinyl into Audacity.

Deck - > Marantz Amp -> Soundcard.

I have not adjusted recording gains in Audacity and just recorded.

Here is a snippet.

The top plot is displayed in the 0 to 1 view, 0 representing -3dB and 1 being 0db [I think?].

Second plot is in regular dB view.

Quick question is this clipped/distroted or not?

Note the clipping indicators in Audacity have not come on, the first plot just has me confused and wondering...

Cheers,
Muc

[Image: Audacity_Sample-1.jpg]
Hahaha

Yes it is clipped.

You're recording into your soundcard too loud. Turn it down before it gets to your soundcard (leaving plenty of room) and turn it up once you're in the box.

And ask this sort of thing in the studio forum Teef
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
[Image: xyxthumbs.gif]

thanking you macc.

cue a sunday with steak and lots of tuneage.

yum yum.
The Studio Forum is intimidating me

Oops

it laughs at my lack of knowledge, robs my lunch money and flushes the toilet on my head.
ya big girl's blouse :P

Come in, we're a nice bunch Smile
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
audacity fucking sucks if u do a lot of editing and want an editor that's useful and quick to use.
e.g., it's soooo annoying that when u start SAVING a file, you can only save it as an Audacity project...u have to go and EXPORT it if u wanna save it in some normal format...and there's no key combo for that.

i had sound studio for a while (around 50 euros), but purchased TwistedWave this week (81-ish euros).
yeah thats really annoying. you can assign custom key shortcuts to any menu item you want in OS X, so just set the export as wave one to something..
also your recording in 32 bit float try 24bit and turn it down to around -6 ish when recording coz it's easier to turn it up than turn it down after it's clipped.
sound forge is a good sound editing sweet

and come in the studio forum we'll be nice to you, for now..
mucsavage Wrote:The Studio Forum is intimidating me

Oops

it laughs at my lack of knowledge, robs my lunch money and flushes the toilet on my head.

just pm Macc....

he loves it
djneils Wrote:also your recording in 32 bit float try 24bit and turn it down to around -6 ish when recording coz it's easier to turn it up than turn it down after it's clipped.
sound forge is a good sound editing sweet

and come in the studio forum we'll be nice to you, for now..

Will do mate,

I'm deep in it now, scanning a whole wav for visible clips, gonna go blind I think

I'll take a trip into the Production Forum as soon as I have my big brother with me
Yeah i hate audacity too. I flick between peak & sound studio.
Sounds fine to me! Teef
[Insert signature here]
^ Hahaha
Hahaha lets not go there...
bhima Wrote:Sounds fine to me! Teef

Lol

thats the thing though, it DID sound ok,

well to my ears anyway.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  analog clipping-good or bad?? Ruffneck Dave 6 2,960 25th February 2008, 14:47
Last Post: Ruffneck Dave
  Clipping/distortion/lim/comp - what you do to your tunes Profane 100 20,107 7th December 2007, 16:07
Last Post: Macc
  Oldskool Drum Distortion using Cassette tapes! bhima 12 3,352 5th October 2007, 15:35
Last Post: SETI
  "total output" clipping question cordani 10 5,424 12th June 2007, 17:41
Last Post: Senator Adam
  Digital clipping weirdness Logos 1 1,305 28th May 2007, 00:04
Last Post: Logos