B12 - Mysterious / Brilliant Techno bods

21 Replies, 7516 Views

Been following the releases (and re-releases) from these guys in the past year or so, according to Discogs, they only re-surfaced in 2007 after a 10 year hiatus.

This is pretty much my favourite techno ever - not strictly limited to that genre but that's their background I guess. Anyway - amazing music.

I got their "Last Days Of Silence" album and the re-release of the "Practopia" release and was a bit daunted at having 7 albums worth of B12 Records Archives to go through but started checking them the other day and there is another tonne of great stuff over the 7 editions ! (Also featuring the likes of As One / Kirk Degiorgio)

anyways - just posting this to see if anyone else is digging these guys or knows if they are playing a live show anytime in the next while ?

Alot of their music is available for download on Emusic.com if anyone wants to hear some...

try www.juno.co.uk for clips : http://www.juno.co.uk/search/?as=1&q=B12..._end_date=

"Last Days of Silence" Album : [URL="http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/312904-01.htm"]http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/312904-01.htm
[/URL]

Xyxthumbs
From Discogs :

"B12 Records was founded in 1990 by Mike Golding and Steve Rutter as a vehicle for themselves and other like minded individuals to release electronic music for listening and dancing. Many thought the duo hailed from Detroit, as their sound fused many of the elements of techno coming from the Motor City, alongside labels such as Transmat and Plus 8. Every record was hand-engraved in the run out grooves, with cryptic clues and messages, recurring themes of futurism and science fiction.

Releasing under a series of monikers, such as Redcell, Cmetric, and Musicology, their connections with Kirk DeGeorgio’s A.R.T. Records are well documented, each artist featuring on the others label, and even a pair of split 12”s with a label taking each side of the vinyl. The pair were also snapped up by Warp Records, featuring on the seminal Artificial Intelligence series and releasing two albums and an EP on Warp under the umbrella name ‘B12’

Then in 1996, with test pressings of B1215 in their hands, they disappeared without warning or reason. B1215 never made it to release.

Forward to 2005. Illegal bootlegs of old B12 material are circulating – poor quality, without the engravings in the run-out grooves. Mike & Steve return to play a live show in London to a sell-out crowd (the bouncers had to stop queues inside the building). B12 absolutely blew everyone away, a decade away hadn't dampened their sound one bit. The applause at the end was so overwhelming that the following act was shouting at the crowd to shut up and stop cheering so he could begin his set. They announced there was new material to come, and their intentions of re-mastering the back catalogue for release on a 12 CD box set, with bonus unreleased materials.

Now, in 2007, B12 Records has exactly the same goal it did in 1990, to provide quality electronic music for futuristic feet and forward thinking minds."
Twothumbs
Grin
Yeah I loved B12. I've not got much of their later stuff, but their earlier music is a great inspiration to me in my productions (Although, I probably get carried away and the influence gets lost to the ear Lol )
But yeah, really dig their stuff, and certainly would like to get hold of the later output.

Cool
Absolutely love their stuff.. This reminds me though... I still need to order Volume 7.
[ last.fm ]
only have electro-soma, and it's great
cube Wrote:only have electro-soma, and it's great

yeah, some really good stuff on there.

Good range on the album too.

Actually I have that other album they did on Warp too - "Time Tourist".
cube Wrote:only have electro-soma, and it's great

what he said

i'm gonna dig it out...
anyone see them play live ?

I know they played a few gigs around the UK in the last few months... and they have gig's abroad lined-up too.

check 'news & events' here : http://www.b12records.com/

wouldn't mind checking them at a club / festival sometime.
Code Wrote:Actually I have that other album they did on Warp too - "Time Tourist".

listening to that right now

Dance
i saw them play live a couple of years ago. i remember them being really good but can't remember where is saw them? Chin
Bloody awesome duo!
They're bloody great!
'There's no such thing as selling out just buying in'

Chuck D
yeah nice!
okay, I'm logged into Emusic and gonna go through B12's Archive's - Vol 5, 6 & 7. Pilfered Vol's 1 - 4 a few months ago.

ready for more of this kinda thing !
Checking back through Electro-Soma & Time Tourist today, so good.

Between those two, the recent album "Last Days Of Silence" and various digital downloads from their Archives Vol 1 - 7, I must have well over 100 B12 tracks. Amazing stuff !
i love time tourist. thats all.
need to put these back on my ipod...
let me revise... i love time tourist as well as all other b12 output. "thats all" = thats all i have to say.

why i needed to explain that i dont know.
This damages me
Thing that is great about these guys is that they disappeared for ages but then came back with a new album 10 years or so later and the quality was just as high as before.
Wasn't because it was unreleased old tracks either - it sounded like it was just produced recently to my ears anyway.

Great to see one musical comeback that isn't a disappointment !
Electro-soma Homerdrool

That's going on tonight while I cook my dinner!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It was World Techno Day last Thursday - get yer techno out for the lads. Code 48 28,720 19th April 2011, 23:00
Last Post: adist
  Brilliant weather outside... cycom 46 7,645 10th June 2010, 00:09
Last Post: MetaLX
  Free album of brilliant downtempo/trip hoppy type stuff paulreset 11 3,106 22nd January 2010, 03:20
Last Post: Annastay
  ME= new to online gaming (just got Call Of Duty!!!)..any ps3 bods on here? dj hades 38 7,958 7th December 2009, 16:39
Last Post: cube
  Brilliant - MPs fully expensed empty house squatted Paradigm X 6 1,431 5th July 2009, 16:00
Last Post: Tumbles