Collaboration saturation?

24 Replies, 4699 Views

Is it a good thing or a bad thing? The scene is saturated with them these days..

so your thoughts please..
I find most collabs extremely dull...
[ last.fm ]
Good thing IMO, a mixture of two different styles coming together to produce fresh tracks.
And I'm not just saying that because I've got loads of collabs, I'm saying that because I mean it.
yeah, most collabs in d&b are lame. they sound like two producers watering each others sound down to make a non-offensive piece of music. or its a case of the tune primarily sounding like one artist and really not needing the collaborator. the other guy is in the studio rolling up hash being like "yah i like that, turn that up"

the few, proper collabs, rather take each artist's best musical characteristics and produce a piece of exceptional music that wouldnt be possible if it wasnt for the two minds meeting. for example:

Well, it depends on how they turn out I guess. I have been collaborating a lot with Parallel and we both bring our own sounds to each piece. I think you recognise both of our styles meeting in the middle, but not watered down, more complimenting each other. We both come up with things in the tune that the other person didn't think of.
As for collaborations in general in the scene, there can be a tendency for them to water down the individual sounds from what I've heard, but by no means always, like Cordani rightly demonstrated above Smile

My own personal opinion only there of course.
Not really, it's like saying that the scene is saturated with single artist releases.

I agree most promise so much yet don't deliver, but for every 10 average ones there's often an absolute stonker.

I think the more pertinent point is all music genres are saturated with filler material, produced to serve just that - filling sets / collections with more of the same, yet not actually providing any longevity within the tune. D&B is as guilty as any.
cordani Wrote:the few, proper collabs, rather take each artist's best musical characteristics and produce a piece of exceptional music that wouldnt be possible if it wasnt for the two minds meeting.

Xyxthumbs

I also think most artists are stepping into collaborations without first developing their signature sound and, further to Cordani's comment, with the saturation present and the 'watering down' effect, this is surely damaging to a scene which in itself is not exactly large.
DJ Trax and DSP coming soon ha ha
For News/Audio/Bookings/Videos www.djtrax.wordpress.com
i just like the title of the thread. i dont give a rip one way or the other, good music is just good music.
MetaLX Wrote:i just like the title of the thread.

because of the conversation's termination articulation?

i tried Acclaim
I think it can go either way really. I don't usually work with other people, but that's only cause I have a tendency to get rather impatient. That's just me though. Wink
I do have a couple things in the works with others though, so I guess we'll see how that turns out. Feel free to let me know if it sounds "watered down". Xyxthumbs
greenleaf504 Wrote:I think it can go either way really. I don't usually work with other people, but that's only cause I have a tendency to get rather impatient.

Rofl i don't like to work with people because i stress out knowing they are waiting on me for weeks to eq one drum break.
MetaLX Wrote:i just like the title of the thread. i dont give a rip one way or the other, good music is just good music.

Hear hear!
For News/Audio/Bookings/Videos www.djtrax.wordpress.com
I like it when people do colabs but come up with a group name like Dom + Roland Teef
IG: @profane || soundcloud.com/profane
on the real if you doing a ton of colabs with one person, I like the group name idea like PARALAPSE or WU TANG CLAN.

edit. my point is it looks like less saturation and adds some mystery too on who tf is ????!!, cus i agree there's a whole lot of colabs which im not against ftr.
IG: @profane || soundcloud.com/profane
TVG Wrote:
MetaLX Wrote:i just like the title of the thread.

because of the conversation's termination articulation?

i tried Acclaim

Hahaha excellention
Profane Wrote:I like it when people do colabs but come up with a group name like Dom + Roland Teef

:snicker: Hahaha
TVG Wrote:i don't like to work with people because i stress out knowing they are waiting on me for weeks to eq one drum break.

Lol

It's funny because it's true Icon_razz
I don't like working at all, not alone, not with others Teef
collabs can be fun and a learning experience from personal point of view..

imo some are genuine collabs, others are exploitative, but that will always happen...
Fushara
let's do one Fush! Teef
Hahaha
i like collaborating with brunettes and saturating their "stomaches"

EEETS NIIIIIIICE

[Image: borat-high-five.jpg]

Twothumbs
you can't beat a good colab imo

[Image: _47834941_009274523-1.jpg]

bear phat beetz by libcon Teef
john doe Wrote:let's do one Fush! Teef

only if you provide your originally recorded pron samples Teef
Fushara

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soundscape lovers - AGN / Hibernate collaboration CD Muttley 11 19,451 7th June 2019, 12:09
Last Post: Muttley
  [COLLABORATION PROJECT] Pass this sample along anyone? TVG 20 4,463 26th January 2009, 10:18
Last Post: Paradigm X
  coppe collaboration cordani 4 584 10th November 2007, 11:00
Last Post: cram
  Paradox & Dylan collaboration noisemonkey 30 4,883 27th July 2007, 10:11
Last Post: tyranny
  who would like to see a naphta vs scart ridge collaboration? scart ridge 24 2,311 14th January 2004, 03:08
Last Post: 3WL