FUNKTION ONE founder talks about his products..

27 Replies, 4733 Views

http://www.electronicbeats.net/TV/Tech-T...lices-2-10

he goes on ....and on.... and on... some hyperbole, some common sense and some straight up BS..

Watch and decide for yourself Smile
Gotta agree with most he says. Maybe some analogies are a bit too simplistic.

I sometimes hate myself for mixing with MP3s (which are based on 16bit 44.1kHz WAVs) instead of using a much higher quality audio source. It's that I'm only mixing on jungletrain.net, which is just 128kbps MP3.

The audio quality of some venues and the lack of attention of their audio engineers is just sad. Luckily there's still some venues with good (engineers). Pioneer mixers are very popular but they really sound completely crap when people are mixing in the red (which they shouldn't, but often do).
Ponytail [Image: icon037.gif]
i like that dude..
even his pony tail is growing on me Hahaha
http://www.soundcloud.com/shift/ - SCD soundclash tune is up Drums
the only system i dont use earplugs with.
I still do, however when I whip them out with an hour or two to go it's like an instant brain recharge - it literally sends me loopy Icon_yippee - as opposed to the world of pain inflicted upon you by lesser overworked rigs Icon_eek
God bless Funktion One and all who mosh within her.
Phokus Wrote:Ponytail [Image: icon037.gif]

The quote that made me change from disliking Bob Monkhouse into giving him respect when he was talking about ponytails..

"It doesn't matter whether its a man or a horse, you look under a tail you're always going to find an arsehole."

Grin
Always use earplugs regardless.

Interesting vid.
impact_ Wrote:some hyperbole, some common sense and some straight up BS

There is no bullshit in what he's saying whatsoever in my opinion... I agree with the more esoteric statements he makes, such as music being a spiritual experience, alongside the more common sense comments around mp3 and DJs.

Great interview, thanks for the link Xyxthumbs
SHIFT Wrote:the only system i dont use earplugs with.

nonsense im sure iv seen you busting earmuffs at rupture

or am i going mad
[Image: energy_29sep90.jpg]
Jungle Timewarp Wrote:earmuffs

Hahaha

I'm definitely going to kick you in the shins if Shift wears earmuffs. And Marrigolds.
that was just a fashion ting. keeping on top of the game. may sport these ones next..
[Image: Earmuffs.jpg]
Definitely like what this guys saying about the integrity of the company. And agree with what he says on certain things on many levels- think it can be applied to many many areas these days.

Ps. Wicked Mt kimbie live video after that video;
http://www.electronicbeats.net/TV/Mount-...logne-2010

Lovesmilie
rondema Wrote:
There is no bullshit in what he's saying whatsoever in my opinion

So paper is less natural than metal? I think not. (thats the BS I was referring to)
impact_ Wrote:
rondema Wrote:
There is no bullshit in what he's saying whatsoever in my opinion

So paper is less natural than metal? I think not. (thats the BS I was referring to)

Paper is closest to wood.
Roo Stercogburn Wrote:The quote that made me change from disliking Bob Monkhouse into giving him respect when he was talking about ponytails..

"It doesn't matter whether its a man or a horse, you look under a tail you're always going to find an arsehole."

Grin

Hahaha

Bob Monkhouse Falcon
[Image: protabl3.gif]
Don Cherry Wrote:Every human is blessed in her or his life with one love (passion), no matter how long it may last. This Absolute love will last in one's heart and soul forever.
impact_ Wrote:So paper is less natural than metal? I think not. (thats the BS I was referring to)

He doesn't say that - he uses paper cone, which is then referenced towards organic materials, and their benefits in contemporary technology - populated by metals. Paradoxically, paper is less natural as a commonplace component in industries that are metal orientated.

Strong preferences are only beneficial if you've consideration for agendas other than your own. His opinion on what insults his system, heretofore others, while tounge-in-cheek reactionary at best, is at worst hypocritical of the 'efficiency' mantra that he covers as a preface to Mp3s and Wavs, and discards the actual 'sound' of an Mp3 to ears that aren't attached to his head.

Hyperbole / values: a single interviewee asked to talk about his product is polemically ingrained towards imbalance - overstating worth of Funktion One, missing out nuances of anything aside from Funktion One. In that sense, "using a lot of processing power, and it tires you out", as he goes on to say about audio, sums up the cutoff criteria that several people use when it comes to these two factors, of which are generally dictated by how interested you are in certain things, not how interested certain things are in you.
Muttley, you kill it Applause

Impact - it's ok, you don't have to vindicate yourself... just realise that if you do, you may find mounting evidence to the contrary. There may be some other 'straight up BS' in there (other than, perhaps, his choice of hair arrangement or dental hygiene standards) if you keep looking
Woah. Not even gonna try and come back to that. Lifes too short Grin good post muttley.
I can see where you could of gotten confused. But basically he is going into acoustics and how material effects that. Wood works/sounds the best for that sort of thing is what he was saying and he just said paper is the closest to that. ( thought my 3 words previous would of worked but hey).
Grin
oh yeah, and I hate funktion one systems.. give me a headache and then some.
most of the big nights out round here use them (except one- Heavyweight Audio which uses a different rig that I much prefer) will find the name of the HWA one as I really rate it as a listener.
can someone give me an idea on how much this system cost? medium size (think about for avenue up to 200 people max)?
Can't find any price online...
There are no 'off the shelf' systems; it's all part of the philosophy - they want to get it right for you. I can't imagine it's cheap.. Certainly the best systems I've heard. So solid and clear Icon_yippee
rondema Wrote:There are no 'off the shelf' systems; it's all part of the philosophy - they want to get it right for you. I can't imagine it's cheap.. Certainly the best systems I've heard. So solid and clear Icon_yippee

yeah, I suppose so...I would love to have a proper rig to use at outdoor parties...then again maintenance and a place where to store the precious components, would be rather essential...hmmmm
The rig my friends run is an ohm trs220 and in my opinion is way less fatiguing than function one and to me sounds much better

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OUT NOW - THE OHM SERIES: FUNKTION:ZWEI – HIGHER PLACES LP (Ohm011) Euphony 0 1,551 7th December 2014, 09:38
Last Post: Euphony
  Randomer talks about his musical influences Ash Med School 8 2,300 21st October 2009, 12:10
Last Post: LXC
  13 June, 2008 - The Pond - Mother Funktion Live PA SeaBass 0 955 13th June 2008, 04:14
Last Post: SeaBass