Esx logic 9

11 Replies, 5004 Views

Am I the only one who finds this extremely frustrating? They have changed the edit mode since 7 so now I have completely no idea how to navigate it! Ie making new zones and groups is all a blur to me now since it seems so different and I cant get to the view where you can actually see the wave form you are working with.

Suggestions for other samplers or should i just try and figure out this one?

I want to be able to create my own kit or sound-bank for drums ( either form my own samples or the hits they have) and be able to route the different drums from one sampler to different outputs or busses what have you..

ALso I want to be able to change the pitch and all other controls individuality for each hit vs the whole kit like its set up in the esx that it does that.
I started using Logic Express 8 so I don't know about 7.
I'm also certainly not a whizzkid with exs but I'm getting better every time I use it.
I would suggest that you persevere with it for one reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YjgKLZ2jpY

Have a look at that video from around the 3:10 point.

I think its well worth getting used to it for that feature alone.

As an aside pretty much everything cool I have learned about Logic came from gritting my teeth and watching sflogicninjas videos.
I cant say I'm too fond of his presentation style but he sure knows his stuff and his videos are easy to follow.
I found EXS incredibly frustrating to use. The main interface is nice, but when you start editing stuff it's like Apple / emagic gave up on designing interfaces.

Check out SF Logic Ninja on youtube, his vids are always spot on and should guide you Anna Xyxthumbs
Ahhh HRH. THat is cool. So the very fact that Im complaining is a good thing cause they made it cooler. I mean I remember it not making any sense but itleast I had figured it out and knew it. Lol hehe. Ill try and be paitent relearning it.

Few more important questions on the esx.

I want to avoid my messy mistakes last time at saving. I know you need to save your instruments and you also need to save your settings. When saving your instruments I made the mistake of it being a mess when you opened up the browser so do you make a folder prior or do you arrange it by song or what? I know when you load the akai disks it makes the instruments in the first open up but I just want to figure out the easiest way to do your own or most organized. DO you do it by the song your working on?

Yeah I also had forgotten the save button and had made a really cool bass last night and accidently switched the sound trying to save along with the settings of the instru.. Totally gutted. Which brings me to the fact that I actually dont understand the modulations on there. ( the row at the middle of levels that you can direct one thing to another for control). So If i actually knew what I was doing I could of bass the sound I had made. Can you tell me a bit how those work? like one things controls another ive figured but really not sure exactly.
Wilshy Wrote:I found EXS incredibly frustrating to use. The main interface is nice, but when you start editing stuff it's like Apple / emagic gave up on designing interfaces.

Check out SF Logic Ninja on youtube, his vids are always spot on and should guide you Anna Xyxthumbs

Ok ill maybe sit through some of his videos today.
Regarding file / resource management, I don't understand this as well as I should.
It seems to happen more by luck than judgement.
Only last night I opened a project and it complained it couldnt find what it wanted.
In that case it was just audio files which I ended up sticking in the audio folder of the project.

When it comes to exs resources your guess is as good as mine!

On the other subject, I'm not sure whether you mean "sends" or "automation".
Can you be a bit clearer about what you mean by "modulation" ?

What instrument are you talking about - is this still exs?
For sure there is a way you can save more organized but you figure it out after the fact that you open the browser a year later and its a total long mess, like you know in the front where u pick your instruments that you made..

Ill screen grab tommorow, and post to show you what i meant about the modulations, I knew my attempt to expain was gonna do it no justice. Roll Lol
Regarding organizing stuff, i think the best thing to do is just keep all your samples in one location. When you use them in tracks / esx instruments or whatever just import them from there. I think thats the best way.

I suppose you mean the exs modulation stuff?

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logice...tasks=true

If so that may or may not help.
Well i dont mean the samples really, I mean like uh when you make your instruments in the esx and save in browser of instrument it gets messy a bit.

yes thats what I meant. I have hard time learning from manuals and reading, frustrates me I get so lost so easily but If like it was a piece of equipment with knobs Id figure it out just by using it, but like I dunno it dont seem that way with the esx even though I used it for a few years back then. Ill try and read it though. It might give me some more control over what I do, its alway nice to get back to a sound you made after you lost it.
Right Im running into this problem again. So I have a kit from esx open... I open up the editor right I change the snare hit to another sample. I save instrument. Now with play back its still playing the last sample not the new one i loaded!! Baffled

[Image: picture4gee.png]

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233...e4gee.png/
heh. unfortunately i don't think i'm going to be much help. i think you are using exs24 in much more depth than i tend to do!
I'll have a looksee and try to help you on this C x Nothing too complicated, once you get the workflow going - it's just more drawn out than anything. Meantime maybe NI Battery 3 (or whatever version it's on now) might be a simpler option for individual hits etc - copy and paste samples into drum-pads, edit every sound/filter/fx individually, route to multiple buses etc.

EXS is great for very quick (and pretty accurate) chopping and instant keymapping of breaks etc and also for loading up sample sets right across the keys (that admittedly takes a little time if you're making the programs yourself - but it's still easy enough to select a load of samples and choose 'map chromatically' so they run from say c-1 to c-8, and then save as a new instrument). Individual editing of samples in such programs is quite fiddly as you have to go into the mapping window and are then pretty much limited to pitch/reverse/start and end points etc. The EXS is so light to use though that if i load up a program with 80 odd closed hats in it for example, then decide i want one to be 7 keys lower in pitch, i'll just load another EXS up and change pitch on the front panel. Then you can do all your mad filter/mod stuff separately to the other sampler too Grin NB: overwriting the program will save the changes to the original program though, if you don't rename it and save as a new instrument - so basically, unless you want the changes to be there every time you load the program up, don't bother. Tweak the crap out of it and either save it as a new program if you intend to use it with those settings outside of the particular track you're working on, or don't bother at all and Logic will simply recall each EXS's settings when you reload the track.

Hope this helps for now, not been on it for a while but will have a play again and decide best how to make more sense of the modulation etc

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recycle convert in esx editor choronzon 4 1,347 20th November 2007, 12:00
Last Post: bobule