Pioneers That Are Still Pioneering!

36 Replies, 9757 Views

I started talking about this in the Photek thread but thought I would start a new post instead of hijacking that one!

How many of those original pioneers from 92 onwards are still pioneering today or (at risk of sounding an idiot trying to be hip) are "keeping it real"?

The main two I can think of are Goldie and Dego from 4hero.

To quote the classic reinforced release still "Breakin Sound Barriers" to this day!

Check these two non-dnb projects from Dego.

DKD "Future Rage"

2000Black "Febulous"

Right who else??
Can't see anything pioneering about what Dego and Goldie are making these days, it's just not god awfull music like the ones of Photek, Adam F...

Outside of the realm of DnB there a lot of seasoned artists still trying to push boundaries, will try to come up with some names later
Difficult to define really. Those 2 tunes you post are standard fare really, nothing pioneering about that. Agreed with 8bits.

Can you really pioneer these days? I suppose you can but nothing from the old guard is pioneering. You could look at Burial as pioneering a sound and then whoever was the first to step outside the dubstep sound into the more "future" garage / bass music sound of Mosca, Julio Bashmore etc but that's not exactly pioneering but evolving.

I'd say no one is really. What could be said is people are looking back a lot more to go forward. If we look at d&b, Trace (as was noted on the other thread), Fracture & Neptune etc.

Sorry bit of a quick sharp flying reply without too much thought.
The two tracks I posted are both a few years old now and may have spawned a million and one copies but say what you will about the broken beat genre for a while it was like the second age of drum and bass . . .

When a lot of the Reinforced artists moved away from DnB into 120-140bpm material and tried to combine a wide mixture of styles and influences it was truly an exciting time . . .

This was way before dubstep, future garage etc etc . . .

It was also one of the few genres to successfully combine authentic jazz with electronic dance music.

YouTube doesn't have half the tracks I wanted to post . . . Icon_sad
Anyway this is about who I should be checking and who is still making stuff from back in the day!

Haha . . .
TwoHungryGhosts Wrote:Anyway this is about who I should be checking and who is still making stuff from back in the day!

Haha . . .

I can't think of anybody Wink
TwoHungryGhosts Wrote:How many of those original pioneers from 92 onwards are still pioneering today or (at risk of sounding an idiot trying to be hip) are "keeping it real"?

what is goldie actually doing these days? I see metalheadz are still releasing, is he still even running it?
fiasko Wrote:what is goldie actually doing these days? I see metalheadz are still releasing, is he still even running it?

no idea. you could ask fracture perhaps, though he doesn't come here anymore
nothing pioneering about what goldies doing, metalheadz is (depressingly) just another run of the mill d&b label these days, fighting for the rather dull and unimaginative centre ground with all the other 'big' imprints and following whatever trends there are in 'the scene'. same goes for his production,t he last thing he released was that freedom thing for meth100 which was some rose tinted retrospective 'rave' tune. naff imo
[URL="http://www.everydayjunglist.biz"]
[/URL]
fiasko Wrote:
TwoHungryGhosts Wrote:How many of those original pioneers from 92 onwards are still pioneering today or (at risk of sounding an idiot trying to be hip) are "keeping it real"?

what is goldie actually doing these days? I see metalheadz are still releasing, is he still even running it?

as far as i know, he is. He has still a leading control over it.
fonik Wrote:metalheadz is (depressingly) just another run of the mill d&b label these days, fighting for the rather dull and unimaginative centre ground with all the other 'big' imprints and following whatever trends there are in 'the scene'.

has been for at least the last 10years though, odd good tune in amongst it all though
I would say that Sileni was really pushing the envelope, Danny Breaks although wasn't really trying to redefine DnB did some very original tunes on the Vibrations LP.

The last LP from Mathew Herbert was amazing. It's called One Pig, here's a review of it http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may...pig-review

I'll try to remember more along the day
Steve Gurley?
IMHO the trouble for jungle / dnb pioneers is that it's got very very good at sounding like itself so attempting to make it sound different tend to sound a bit lightweight by comparison, even if it's more interesting / original. Also the neophile audience has moved on so there's just not the impetus to do different stuff.

It's like old rockers who complain about there being no decent music around these days and complain that anything that doesn't sound like old rock is shit because it doesn't sound enough like old rock and anything that does sound like old rock is shit because it's just aping old rock.
Slothrop Wrote:IMHO the trouble for jungle / dnb pioneers is that it's got very very good at sounding like itself so attempting to make it sound different tend to sound a bit lightweight by comparison, even if it's more interesting / original.

For me it's rather that it isn't interesting or original. They all pretty much ran out of ideas years ago. That is, as far as I can tell, seeing as I hardly ever check what any of them are doing anymore Wink
Sean O'Keefe:

http://organicbeats.co.uk/video/interview/deep-blue-0

and I'm not saying this out of self promotion.
Steve Gurley and Zinc are surely the only two jungle/d+b producers who can genuinely be thought of as pioneering anything after D+B?
Gerald
I guess. Gerald pre D+B and then during - but not after surely?

I suppose Dego was a bit of a pioneer in the whole broken beat thing back around 2000 or so. BLIM & Tonic were at the forefront of the nu-breaks thing around 98/99 as well.
Fuck all those boring cunts. People on SC make better dnb these days tbh.
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
And of course, who can forget Naphta's pioneering work in the political folk movement.
shut yer yap!
Keep JUMPin ya Bastids
In terms of 'pioneers' from 92 onwards, I wouldn't say that any of them are making anything pioneering any more. Up to a couple of years ago I would still have said Aphex Twin was delivering things that were interesting, but maybe not pioneering.
In DNB terms, no one from that period has been refreshing or original in my opinion in the last 5+ years, they have all fallen into the trap. I would be delighted to be proven wrong, but from what I have heard none of the oldskool hardcore/jungle/proto-dnb heads have delivered anything like they once did recently.
The same rings true of the techno pioneers, they did some great tunes late on, but nothing that was forward thinking.
I agree with Naphta that SC peeps do much more interesting takes on sounds.

I find most DNB formulaic and boring, the most popular stuff more boring so, like the producers can't think of doing something original without it having to fit a certain 'blueprint' and therefore losing any original touch in the first place.

(subdued mild rant over)
Hmmm..
The only person that came to mind is Mark Pritchard, although thats still more of an evolving thing than doing anything ground breaking/pioneering
Great to see some responses and some ideas of who to check!

Was always a big fan of Deep Blue, remember the first time I heard the Speed dedication track "Thursday". CLASSIC!

Need to check that interview . . .

Pritchard has made some great tracks since so thats a good spot! Forgot about him . . .

At the risk of offending anyone with my ignorance, what has Steve Gurley been up to? Was always a massive follower of Foul Play.

I still really rate Goldie, he has stayed true to his art imho, anyone check his recent appearance at the Boilerroom?

Started off with one of my all time favourite Moving Shadow tracks by Blame from the nineties, and that Kiss Of A Rose track that is really doing it for me at the minute . . .

Great diverse set . . .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MIX Perpetual Parenthood - Eric Parren - Female Pioneers of Electronic Music Promo Mix +ToRMeNT+ 1 4,637 1st August 2017, 23:31
Last Post: Statto
  NEWS Industrial Pioneers Laibach play in North Korea firefinga 0 2,516 22nd August 2015, 08:58
Last Post: firefinga
  4 Hero - Earth Pioneers EP DJ ML 18 2,800 18th July 2005, 16:31
Last Post: 0=0