Ambient recommendations , moved next to a highway.

26 Replies, 11100 Views

Hi guys.. So having a bit of a struggle over here, just moved into a new apartment a few weeks ago. Its way bigger and nicer than the last place I was living in but its in a less desirable area and its right next to the highway. I try not to focus on it but it bothers me a lot. It might be the lyme disease and lack of sleep messing with me some days that I focus on it, IM quite sensitive and the highway noise really gets to me. Seems like the best solution tell I find peace with it is to cover it up with ambient if im not really in the mood to listen to anything that way its pleasant and can be in the background. I have kinda hard time deciding what to put on or running out of ideas and haven't been feeling well enough to search for stuff or go thru my hard drives, i get that stressed out from being sick I cant even figure it out so I always end up going to sound cloud and listening to nills frahm or sorts, always comforts me but rinsed it a bit much. Wondering if you guys have any ambient recommendations? Stuff thats not tooo chaotic/ far out there is good and mellow and calm on the nerves. Wink

When my head is more clear and I feel like searching around Ill prob go to the ambient thread here and shift thru it but any ideas of the top of your head or any albums you heard recently that you really like and want to share would be great! Smile

Much thanks in advance. <3 xxx
you should get an air purifier too. white noise can blend out some traffic noise.....

i have an Austin Air.

& ambient? check out the label Ultimae and Kompakt Pop Ambient Series. also: Helios, Ishq, Loscil, Harold Budd, Steve Roach, Stars of the Lid, Windy & Carl, Tetsu Inoue, Thom Brennan....
apogee Wrote:you should get an air purifier too. white noise can blend out some traffic noise.....

i have an Austin Air.

& ambient? check out the label Ultimae and Kompakt Pop Ambient Series. also: Helios, Ishq, Loscil, Harold Budd, Steve Roach, Stars of the Lid, Windy & Carl, Tetsu Inoue, Thom Brennan....

Yeah i have one in my bedroom, its a true air. I think i need one for the living room. Mine only cost about 100, I saw the cost of yours ... a little more than i can afford, cheapest is almost 400.

Yeah thanks for the suggestions. LIstening to enuui right now. Smile

Do you live near a highway?
Brian Eno - On Land
These I find very relaxing and soothing these days:

Robert Rich - Nest (2012)

[Image: Nest-1.jpeg]

Alio Die - Reverie (2012)

[Image: hsl065cd.jpg]

Al Gromer Khan & Klaus Wiese - The Alchemy Of Happiness

[Image: 78f63-AlchemyofHappiness.jpg]

James Johnson - November (2011)

[Image: November.jpg]

Steve Roach & Dirk Serries - Low Volume Music (2012)

[Image: R-3668651-1339607767-4014.jpeg]

And...
Hammock - Chasing After Shadows ... Living With The Ghosts (shoegaze ambient)
Autumn Of Communion - Autumn Of Communion (FAX label release)
Beautumn - Blanket
Brian Eno - Lux (2012) back in to the 80s ambient like Thursday Afternoon
Statto Wrote:Brian Eno - On Land

Damn you Statto!
My top ambient finds of last year:

Atom™ - Winterreise
Benn Jordan - Pale Blue Dot
Biosphere - Dropsonde
Bvdub - The Art of Dying Alone
Celer & Machinefabriek - Greetings
Connect.Ohm - 9980
Gas - Nah Und Fern
Geir Jenssen - Cho Oyu 8201m - Field Recordings from Tibet
Hildur Guðnadóttir - Leyfðu Ljósinu
Loscil - Endless Falls
Krill.Minima - Nautica
Mindspan - The Aeon Expanse
Sinyōo - A Light From The Top Of The Mountain
Vladislav Delay - Whistleblower

This year I've got Hauschka & Hildur Guðnadóttir which is nice, and Glossata - Pearls & Smoke (check that here http://glossata.bandcamp.com )
Brian Eno - Before and After Science
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports
Brian Eno - Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks
Brian Eno and Harold Budd - Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror
Brian Eno and Harold Budd - The Pearl
Brambles - Charcoal
Aqua Dorsa - Cloudlands
droid Wrote:
Statto Wrote:Brian Eno - On Land

Damn you Statto!

Kingstatto
Anything from Waveform

http://www.waveformhq.com/waveform.html
I'm uploading this for you Annastay - one of the best Ambient albums ever, and one of my all-time favourites. Will send a PM when done. Wave

Stars Of The Lid - The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid

http://boomkat.com/downloads/399962-star...of-the-lid
Dinsdale Wrote:Brambles - Charcoal
Aqua Dorsa - Cloudlands

Yeah Mark just turned me on to Brambles, really nice isnt it. Smile
Muttley Wrote:I'm uploading this for you Annastay - one of the best Ambient albums ever, and one of my all-time favourites. Will send a PM when done. Wave

Stars Of The Lid - The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid

http://boomkat.com/downloads/399962-star...of-the-lid

Kisskiss

Im about to put it on now... I have a feeling Ive heard it before but its been awhile if so.. Looking forward. thanks so much. Smile
All you guys rock, thanks so much... This will all come in handy.. . Good looking out. mwah
Yeah I think Ive listened to so much Brain eno, but might go and find some of his albums again. xxx
The highway didnt bother me as much today, think some days my head just goes kinda wacky from the lyme causing ocd and I become so sensitive to sound, light, smells. Either way now I got loads of material ideas for those days.
I made this mix last year, it's a mix of percussion-less ambient atmospheric tracks all made by dn'b producers, and I layered some of my didjeirdu over it with some effects. It starts off kinda spacey and yoga-ish but then soon gets a bit sinister. Hope it helps:

http://soundcloud.com/indidjinous/aliene...ugust-2012
have you got spotify? I started a playlist on there called Ambience For Baby Sleeping which should help Smile
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
Thanks indiginous. Smile Noisemonkey I dont use it, is it complicated to sign up or what not? Can I find the playlist you made?
Annastay Wrote:Thanks indiginous. Smile Noisemonkey I dont use it, is it complicated to sign up or what not? Can I find the playlist you made?

yeah it's dead simple to sign up as you do it through your facebook ID then you can easily find my profile and playlist Smile
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
Quote:Posted by micko35 on Resident Advisor Ambient thread
The ambient music by bvdub is really hard to beat, so this comes highly recommended

Saimonse – Time of Brock van Wey

[Image: saimonse-time-of-brock-van-wey.png?w=500&h=500]

brock van wey – too little too late
bvdub – without a chance to say
bvdub – only the willow remains
bvdub – to live
bvdub – a sisyphean silence
bvdub – descent to the end
bvdub – my skies cry your name
bvdub – nothing you can say
bvdub – nothing like you
bvdub – serenity
east of oceans – 9 winters to tell you
bvdub – my sun shines through your rain
bvdub – love
earth house hold – make it to tomorrow
east of oceans – 1995 to forever

https://soundcloud.com/saimonse/saimonse...ck-van-wey

Twothumbs
In addition to more physical activity, try doing maths. Mental fatigue always puts me into a deep sleep. Xyxthumbs
Gonna go thru this topic in morning tomorrow hoping I have more energy to check new stuff. I sometimes think I've caught Lyme myself, it is common in the UK but how motherfucking symptomatic I've become of a yearning feeling is testament to something not being quite right. I constantly get my thoughts cock-eyed and lopsused.
When I first moved to the west coast / Pacific NW area to live years back, I moved to a very busy downtown location, just above a busy street, rush hour traffic, you name it. It rains a lot in the area, and hearing the cars drive through the wet streets DROVE ME CRAZY for the first few months. I couldn't sleep, I wasn't used to it. I can empathize to the original post. ha.

I listened to the radio a lot then, local hip hop mix shows and such. Maybe music did help drown out the annoying back ground noise after awhile.
I haven't listened to bvdub in a long time. Asides from old Autonomic mixes, I should check out bvdub happenings as of late. Smile
Autotrendick.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RELEASE OUT NOW: CONCEPT OF DREAMS - HIGHWAY EP (OmniEP235) Euphony 0 1,024 30th May 2021, 07:41
Last Post: Euphony
  Muttley - SubVersion Stop 169: Signs I've Moved On (January 2013) Muttley 5 2,919 20th January 2013, 19:54
Last Post: Muttley
  Magic Highway USA (1958) cycom 2 2,284 29th June 2009, 21:07
Last Post: littleNemo
  david lynch - the lost highway safetyboy 22 5,845 8th January 2008, 01:07
Last Post: markgabba
  The "self" has been moved from the body Spectraz 59 10,371 31st October 2007, 18:50
Last Post: Senator Adam