Have to put "Pay What You Want" Vinyl on hold.

11 Replies, 6511 Views

I'm not sure what the difference is, but the three years I did this through the pineconemoonshine.com webpage and paypal, big supporters balanced out those who chose not to pay much. I transitioned our store to Bandcamp and orders went up. Unfortunately out of 10 orders, only one covered manufacturing costs. The other orders did not come close. A couple of those people reached out saying they appreciated the deal because they were unable to afford more. That was exactly the point behind the idea too. But at this rate, it is no longer sustainable. Really confused if it is bandcamp's easier interface or that I had to set a minimum $1.00, but something changed. I quite enjoyed not setting a price and letting it fall out.
Hugs
Honestly (and I'm a numbskull) but I think setting a market price in which you will be able to cover certain costs is healthier for the market in the long run. By people contributing financially to your label growth will only allow you to put out more dnb in the future.
InfiniteSloth Wrote:I'm not sure what the difference is, but the three years I did this through the pineconemoonshine.com webpage and paypal, big supporters balanced out those who chose not to pay much. I transitioned our store to Bandcamp and orders went up. Unfortunately out of 10 orders, only one covered manufacturing costs. The other orders did not come close. A couple of those people reached out saying they appreciated the deal because they were unable to afford more. That was exactly the point behind the idea too. But at this rate, it is no longer sustainable. Really confused if it is bandcamp's easier interface or that I had to set a minimum $1.00, but something changed. I quite enjoyed not setting a price and letting it fall out.

Pay what you feel is a great concept especially for Vinyl but a real risky one for the label. BIG respect to you for making this work for so long.
For News/Audio/Bookings/Videos www.djtrax.wordpress.com
Gutted to hear that Nic Icon_sad

I suspect that Bandcamp appears to some, to be more neutral ground, so probably don't feel that they're being cheeky by only paying a dollar. After all, that's what it says on the website!
Definitely really sorry to hear this mate Hugs
Thanks guys. I have gotten confirmation from one person that it was confusing that the bandcamp page shows $1.00 (the minimum I could do for a physical product). That and the international shipping hike that occurred back in January (one record jumped from $10 to $17). So it's a matter of not communicating well through the new store.

Consider it lesson learned in rolling out a new system without testing.
sorry to hear...more of a fan of set prices anyways. I would never do something like pay the minimum of $1, but I was always unsure if what I did pay was a good enough amount to support the release so you would at least break even. Do you know when orders will be back up? need to catch up on the last few releases. Smile
I went ahead a set prices on Bandcamp until I can figure out if I want to try "name your price" again. The next two records are here at my house now (arrived last week), but I'm traveling in two weeks so now it looks like January. Smile
word Smile
I don't know if it helps your perspective, but since I set my releases to name your price on Bandcamp I've had fewer downloads. It's possible people think something free or almost free is almost always crap, reserved for mixes, even. Short answer: dunno.
Muttley Wrote:It's possible people think something free or almost free is almost always crap, reserved for mixes, even.

I've heard that theory before. In this case, I have 3 years backing up that it could work. I'm feeling confident it is the bandcamp interface that was the change. Or maybe when you had to fill out your own invoice it wasn't worth a $1 to spend the time. Hahaha
InfiniteSloth Wrote:Or maybe when you had to fill out your own invoice it wasn't worth a $1 to spend the time. Hahaha

Bitch :teeth:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RELEASE Alaska - Hold On / The Vortex DJ ML 0 1,696 22nd May 2018, 21:23
Last Post: DJ ML
  RELEASE MartianMan - pay as you want 26 track album firefinga 2 1,561 18th March 2017, 13:05
Last Post: Muttley
  ON SALE NOW! Polska "2nd Rate" 2xCD / Vinyl + Sub "Tensions" Vinyl Code 198 85,223 31st July 2015, 13:44
Last Post: Code
  All Pinecone Moonshine vinyl is "Pay What You Want" (+ shipping) InfiniteSloth 144 39,564 4th May 2015, 12:19
Last Post: Muttley
  If Pinecone Moonshine were to put out vinyl would you buy it? TVG 54 4,910 22nd July 2013, 06:40
Last Post: InfiniteSloth