RIP Frankie Knuckles

13 Replies, 4349 Views

Icon_sad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26832310

Lighter
I thought at first this might be April Fool's (although someone's death I can never quantify as amusing) - a real loss. I saw him play on Livestream at a house club in the daytime via stream less than 6 months ago. RIP.

Lighter
damn Icon_sad

Lighter
Wow he was still 'young' Icon_sad

Lighter
Rest In Peace Lighter
RIP Godfather
Aaron Carl, Romanthony, Frankie... They have gone too early
Lighter What a sad loss.
RIP. Remember seeing him DJ in Ibiza in 1997.
Reborn Wrote:RIP Godfather
Aaron Carl, Romanthony, Frankie... They have gone too early

not to mention Daryl Pandy
beats are there to be broken http://musicindevon.org/
bigs.

thanks for everything sir Knuckles.

i live. LighterLighterLighter
Following the Chicago house original’s death this week, there’s a campaign to get ‘Your Love’, Frankie Knuckles‘ classic single with Jamie Principle, to #1.

The song can be bought here. Whether that’s the best way to pay tribute to Knuckles, of course, is up for dispute: in an interview last year, he explained that “I have no relationship with Trax Records [who released 'Your Love'].

“Anytime I got some new product coming out they try and piggyback on whatever that it is that I’m doing to try and make whatever they can make off of it. They’re barnacles.”

Trax, it should be added, has undergone several changes in terms of personnel over the years (and last year’s Traxbox was released by Harmless), but Knuckles does seem keen to avoid any association with them in the aforementioned interview.

Update: As pointed out on Twitter, the campaign to get ‘Your Love’ to #1 has now been changed to point people to Noctural Groove’s reissue of the track, rather than Trax’s.

The dance music world and beyond has been in mourning since Knuckles’ death was announced this week, with the major of Chicago one of the latest to pay tribute.

“Today, Chicago says goodbye to one of its most treasured cultural pioneers, Frankie Knuckles, the Godfather of House Music”, Rahm Emanuel said in a statement yesterday. “Over his long career Frankie made his way into the ranks of those artists and innovators who came to this city not just to contribute to a musical genre, but to create one themselves. In doing so, he also made his way into the hearts of those who knew him and the many more who followed his work.

“While the stretch of Jefferson Street between Monroe and Van Buren is officially known as “Frankie Knuckles Way”, all those who are part of the house music genre, no matter where they are from, walk along the path Frankie created. Our thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends, and our thanks for all the good times will always go to Frankie Knuckles.”

A gigantic archive of Frankie Knuckles mixes was launched this week, while RBMA have put together a playlist of 50 classics from the Warehouse, the club where Knuckles was a resident. There’s also a moving and informative comment from photographer and Warehouse member Jerry Boles in the comments section of our report on Knuckles death, we’ve re-posted it below.

http://www.factmag.com/2014/04/02/theres...o-roll-in/
He was a true pioneer of the house music scene....... a tragedy, RIP
Frankie Knuckles: Waiting on my angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RELEASE Frankie Knuckles "House Masters" Double CD firefinga 3 1,818 27th July 2015, 13:09
Last Post: DJ ML
  TWO TONE (not ska) 1 year - Frankie Gunns special guest... Mr. Gunns 8 2,114 30th September 2008, 19:31
Last Post: Mr. Gunns
  Frankie Gunns & c64 - live Old Skool set - June 2004 - D/L c64 7 1,498 4th April 2006, 22:03
Last Post: c64
  joey beltram vrs frankie bones lol safetyboy 18 5,292 4th March 2006, 13:28
Last Post: SETI
  Frankie Gunns, Ryan Chase and Keep6.com pres. Deep Everytime Mr. Gunns 6 1,966 28th August 2005, 06:29
Last Post: rise