[Film] Lee Scratch Perry's Vision of Paradise - 2015 Documentary

5 Replies, 1801 Views

http://www.visionofparadise.de/
Thank you for the link +ToRMeNT+.

I have finished watching the documentary and I gained a better perspective of Perry's legacy, his ideas, truths, and myths behind his music. I think I'll be diving into his discography as the Spring and Summer arrives here in northern Europe.
^^ For sure! The man is 84 yrs old, a feat for any creator, artist still in the game right? Art, creation as literal life journey. Big ups to those that make it through to their 80's in general. heh. Bless his present, later years.

Seems to be as legit a documentary on Perry as it gets - considering how seemingly wary Perry seems to be of perceptions and voicing a message. Music as message, a lifetime of bass, that's why he does it. Fascinating really. And a direct view into the African roots, mythologies, and beliefs behind the message often heard within the music. Higher plane stuff. And as seen in the doc, for a man in control of everything he does, you know the doc had to have Perry's entire approval & involvement to be released, so success there as well it seems.

I never heard much of the Orb collabs at the time. Nice to see clips of the studio sessions included in the doc. I really like a lot of Perry's visual art aesthetics as well. Cut & paste, internal collage expressed in message chaotics. I dig it.

https://theorb.bandcamp.com/album/presen...star-house
I think your following sentence hits the nail on the head: "And a direct view into the African roots, mythologies, and beliefs behind the message often heard within the music. Higher plane stuff." If you listen to a couple of minutes of his music, you would hastily conclude that he's mumbling on the mic, and not delivering a message. However, if you watch the documentary, and you know where he stands on certain issues, then it becomes immensely powerful and more interesting. It all depends on which tunes have the best grooves and at the same time delivers the most powerful message.

I personally don't like a lot of the visual aesthetics, unless you mean the closeness to nature and the nature-centric art, although it creates some sense of madness and depth to his persona and music. He creates this entire world of his own and communicates with nature, and traces his roots to Africa.

When it comes to his physique, kudos to him for being in nature, eating plant based foods, and connecting with everything in nature. I am not a vegetarian, but I do think it is ok for those who avoid eating animals because of the ethics involved. My takeaway from that though is that we all should eat more healthy and avoid processed foods, or Perry might called them "possessed foods".
(23rd February 2021, 15:31)Spectraz Wrote: I personally don't like a lot of the visual aesthetics, unless you mean the closeness to nature and the nature-centric art, although it creates some sense of madness and depth to his persona and music. He creates this entire world of his own and communicates with nature, and traces his roots to Africa. 

^^ yes, very much that. 

I've personally never scribbled, or finger painted on a wall while channeling spirits, smoking herb (or anything else lol), and creating music at the same time, but I get the vibe.. I think?  Visual, spiritual cues take form while making tunes, which is very common in past and present tribal  and/or faith based cultures everywhere. Once again, that direct African link is key to understand Perry's stance & energies which as mentioned, the doc importantly emphasizes. As you mentioned, that inclusion of his faith & beliefs within the doc also pieced things together for me as well. Messages, riding upon rivers of bass. Makes sense now.  

Once again, if you're creating basslines into your 80's & still influencing others, big ups. How many others can claim that?  Chin  Damn. 

Initially I was wondering why there weren't many other Jamaican artists featured in the doc, not that there has to be per se. But as he seemingly disavows other Jamaican artists for personal and/or spiritual, creative, political reasons, that aspect makes sense as well. Keeps things incredibly legit for a Perry documentary imo. 

I recommended the documentary to my brother this past week too, who has an increasing interest in dub as of late, as I'm learning over the years here chatting & texting each other about music as we often do. Waiting to hear his opinion on the piece as well.
I interpret Perry to be interested in myths and mythological images, but also sacred religious images, icons, symbols etc. He also turns iconoclasm against the powers that be, almost as if he's using a mirror. He's clearly interested in sunrays, shining objects, natural objects, water, roots, and ritual traditions.

For instance, take the fish resemblance. Perry claims that he was a fish in an earlier life, and this is clearly a Christian reference and early secret symbol. One of the names for the fish symbol is Ichthys, which is the sacred geometry form "Vesica Pieces". I have not read up on it extensively, but the sacred gemoetry has distinct properties, and might have been known by the Pythagoreans (Measure of the Fish). The symbolism of God and the fish could be a visual connection with the dictum "As above, so below," as well as oneness. Is it one of these "portals" or "doorways" Perry enters when he's creative? And is it a coincidence that Jewish Gematria of the word "piesces" gives the exact same sum (257) as "The Light?" The sum of "Perry" in Jewish Gematria is 625, which is exact the same sum as "Light Ray." Here is another interesting one, "Burnt Offering" is also 625.

In the documentary he is also seen holding a short sword, which he also attaches to the ceiling in the documentary. It resembles the sword, or swords, the angels are carrying that guards the Ark of the Covenant in Aksum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RELEASE OUT NOW: OKEE FT LUCIDA & CRYOGENICS - ART OF VISION (Omni094) Euphony 0 679 17th October 2021, 07:18
Last Post: Euphony
  Dub One - Broken Paradise Ep NoodeL 1 1,089 15th December 2016, 14:53
Last Post: Simon Bean
  RELEASE Paradise / Off Violet on Bandcamp SpeaK 0 966 20th April 2016, 08:19
Last Post: SpeaK
  RELEASE Fushara's "Vision" firefinga 2 1,276 23rd August 2015, 09:52
Last Post: firefinga
  South Moorhead Scratch Dungeon... cheef 13 8,394 12th March 2013, 23:35
Last Post: Muttley